EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it actually possible to have a project be beautiful and under budget?
Design-build projects don't really have a set budget...under budget means the DOT still has money in the bank, and we can run a life cycle cost scenario that says we saved money over traditional design-bid-build. Pay a few million more now and you save 10 million on the back end. I actually really believe in design-build, but the certification and qualifications process is kinda bullshit. If you have more DB projects in your portfolio you're hugely advantaged to get the next one- so it's in our best interest to get as many people as possible involved so they can write it off as experience. I've been part of 4 DB projects- I've set foot on one.

Design-build projects don't really have a set budget...under budget means the DOT still has money in the bank, and we can run a life cycle cost scenario that says we saved money over traditional design-bid-build. Pay a few million more now and you save 10 million on the back end. I actually really believe in design-build, but the certification and qualifications process is kinda bullshit. If you have more DB projects in your portfolio you're hugely advantaged to get the next one- so it's in our best interest to get as many people as possible involved so they can write it off as experience. I've been part of 4 DB projects- I've set foot on one.
I should add the disclaimer- "it's been my experience." Minnesota is really good about getting funding for better work, other states and municipalities may not have the budget flexibility we enjoyed.

We are just getting into it at the county I work for. We have a couple of pilot projects that we intend to put through the process. But they are hoping to move in that direction with more projects that are appropriate for it. So they are looking at getting many of us certified. I think the process is great over DBB and am curious how the county will integrate into the current work processes.

0*BXO-Krt9rSiopn6k.

cheap.jpg

Final Vote:
@BlueBlueprintPE PMP 3 (doth, djl, dld)
@DLD PE 1* (blue)
@Dothracki PE 1* (blue)
@djl PE 1* (blue)

The town lynched @BlueBlueprintPE PMP . He was mafia.

TOWN WINS!

Cop: @djl PE
doctor: @ChebyshevII PE PMP
Mafia: @BlueBlueprintPE PMP , @MeowMeow PE

Here's the chronological order of special actions:

Day 1:
Mafia targets @ChebyshevII PE PMP for nightkill
Cop investigates @MeowMeow PE (not normal townie)
I start eating popcorn, as I see both sides setting up an "immaculate round"
Doctor doesn't select a save
Doctor is nightkilled

Day 2:
cop investigates @BlueBlueprintPE PMP (not normal townie)
I'm still eating popcorn
mafia nightkills @beccabun PE

Day 3:
cop investigates @Dothracki PE (normal townie)
mafia nightkills @MadamPirate PE

Latest posts

Back