EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could go either way with reinstating PMs.  Having PMs brought a lot of intrigue and definitely made the game more fun for me.  Not having them does make it a more balanced way to play though.  I honestly haven't enjoyed the multiple special roles and am glad we haven't been playing that way in awhile.  

Just for my understanding, the PM rule would give everyone free game over who can PM who? So it is up to each player to PM certain people or groups of people to discuss voting and whatnot in private? If you make the wrong choice and include a mafia member in PM, that mafia gets some insider knowledge?
Yes.

A lot of vetting and intrigue happened in the PMs. Honestly, some of our best game moments happened in the PMs. It adds another dimension to the game. It adds ways to lie and deceive and to figure out who is engaging in that behavior. And it's not just the mafia doing cloak and dagger in the PMs, the townies have to engage in it too to help to get relevant information or lay traps. In the most elaborate games it turns into a hunter-killer genre game.

A big part of the PM shadow game is all about compartmentalization and INFOSEC.  

But gameplay aside, it's great for socializing. You get to know your fellow posters better by playing on teams with them. I thought that had more value than the game itself.

Yup.  It turns into a lot of stress on my end.  I'm really bad at mafia when the PM rule is in place/I usually get killed the first day/night because when I'm not modding: jaykay is a super spazz and gives off plotting vibes. 
I hadn't thought about it but you're right. Your gameplay was less spazzy after we got rid of PMs.

A lot of the PMing usually starts with the cop investigating someone/finding them to be a normal townie (hopefully) and then slowly increasing the group PM.

Unless you accidentally include a mafia member who is acting super well.  Which has happened I think once?
The cop thread @JayKay PE is mentioning is called the "townie thread". And mafia have gotten into the thread on multiple occasions. 

A big part of the PM shadow game is compartmentalization and INFOSEC. 

Oh have we started another round already? 😁
do the rounds ever stop?

SHOW ME A ROUND WHERE I WAS NON-MAFIA WHERE I DID NOT DIE?  SHOW ME A ROUND WHERE I WAS A SPECIAL CHARACTER, YET ALL I DID WAS FLAIL ABOUT CONFUSED BY EVERYTHING.  SHOW ME.
You had one earlier this year where you lived to the end! I protected you on what should have been the last night to ensure your survival... we uhh wound up playing another two days until we voted out that last mafia. And I think you won as a JOAT once. Speaking of which,

you certainly don't flail when playing the cop. That's when you march around with a set of 50 lb brass-ones successfully imposing your will on the thread.

I'm in.

I'm cool with PMs. The only thing I don't like about the PMs is that by the end of the game, everything is happening in PM and the main thread is dead. Makes it boring if you're not part of the "Confirmed townie" or "mafia" PMs.

My personal preference. I like variety. Every mod should get to specify their rules. Just my 2 cents.

Also @jean15paul_PE your narrative was brilliant. I wish I could write like that.
I'm really not a good writer. But I'm an ok story-teller. (I don't know if that counts as a creative pursuit.) Coming up with a story is hard for me. But if I have a story already. I can put together the words to make it very interesting.

Back