EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good thing about doing a 14'er (walking or riding) is that if it gets real bad you just turn around and walk downhill and you almost instantly feel better!

But I think living at high altitude your body generates more red blood cells so its a little easier for the local crowd -

I really would like to bike up to the visitors center at Rocky Mountain National Park after Labor Day when the crowds die down but there is so little shoulder even reduced traffic would make it a little concerning (for my anyways) -

I believe its open but I like the gears on my road bike better for this area.  But at least its one way traffic.

They opened Fall River Road on June 29 to traffic. We camped at RMNP 6/26-6/28, and we saw a group of bikers that had ridden up Fall River Road on Sunday morning on their road bikes. They said road conditions were pretty good for road riding.

So it must be a fairly smooth dirt road?  I was expecting it to be like some of the mining roads but apparently not.

Yeah that road doesnt look so bad after all (not sure whey they bill that as a 4WD road) - well maybe for a Subaru ;)

I still think Id like to find a time to ride trail ridge road up to the Alpine Visitors Center - trying to get a few folks from the gym to do it so we can be extra cyclist annoying (less chance of getting hit with more #'s) - But I am hoping after labor day the traffic dies down. 

I still think Id like to find a time to ride trail ridge road up to the Alpine Visitors Center - trying to get a few folks from the gym to do it so we can be extra cyclist annoying (less chance of getting hit with more #'s) - But I am hoping after labor day the traffic dies down. 
Safety in numbers when it comes to biking!

It's a plane!  It's bigfoot!  It's some sort of slow, two-wheeled land barge!  No - it's Extreme Supe! 

Turns out, I was not nearly extreme enough to attempt the big ass wooden ski jump that was shortly ahead, so I just bitched out and rolled it.  Maybe after I lose a couple pounds and don't have a strongman contest looming in November that I need to remain mostly un-injured for.  But I at least made it up and over everything on the black diamond trail!

Screenshot_20200803-090853~2.png

pimping the rogue shirt make sure you dont forget to stop and do some zercher squats along the trail!

Also its nice to see a forest that isn't 90% pine trees..

I almost always wear Rogue or other gym shirts when riding, because they already have holes in them from atlas stones or log cleans.  

We did a short ride on Friday, then went to the trail above on Saturday.  The main loop is about 3.5 miles or so, but the BD adds about 2.5 miles of very steep, techy climbs to that.  Mrs. Supe and Junior were not prepared for that sort of distance, especially Mrs. Supe, who was demanding that we bail because she felt like she was going to puke.  So we only ended up doing a few laps around the pump track, 1/2 mile or so on the intermediate trail, and then bailed just before the end of the black diamond trail.  Had to cut up a walking path, through a subdivision, and down the road to re-enter the park from the street and head back to the truck. 

I went by myself on a short ride last night, because it's the only thing that seems to help my asthma/chest open up.  With the two of them, it's about a 45 minute ride of about 2.5 miles that alternates between mostly flow downhill and then long not-too-steep climbs.  If I'm booking it by myself, I can do it in about 30.  I was clearly NOT recovered for that ride, because it absolutely kicked my ass.  I went planning on doing two laps and was absolutely fried after just one, with more stops than usual. 

I've got to find a way of getting Junior used to using her gears (she leaves it too low and her pedaling gets her nowhere), and to learn to trust speed.  She doesn't get that its easier to buzz/drop over stuff at speed sometimes, than to mosey along and sink into every rut and nose dive off shallow drops.  

Those do look like some good trails. Its amazing how short distances can really kill you!

I went up to do some riding in the Indian peaks wilderness yesterday and it was so **** crowded you couldn't even find a place to park. They had forest service staff  making people move on and were blocking off areas so you couldn't park on the side of the road.  and that was leaving at 5:30 AM - too late for the weekends..

I had a fishing pole in the jeep so I drove to this lake and got lucky with a parking spot that "only a jeep" could fit in and worked on my fly casting, but still got very crowded.

The combination of tourists here and locals opting to stay here instead of going on vacation has make all the hiking / biking areas just a cluster ****- 

Those do look like some good trails. Its amazing how short distances can really kill you!
They're definitely not epic like some of the PNW/Canada stuff or a downhill park, but the local trail builders do a really good job with what they have to work with, which is essentially nothing but donated time and shovels.  

I went up to do some riding in the Indian peaks wilderness yesterday and it was so **** crowded you couldn't even find a place to park. They had forest service staff  making people move on and were blocking off areas so you couldn't park on the side of the road.  and that was leaving at 5:30 AM - too late for the weekends..

I had a fishing pole in the jeep so I drove to this lake and got lucky with a parking spot that "only a jeep" could fit in and worked on my fly casting, but still got very crowded.

The combination of tourists here and locals opting to stay here instead of going on vacation has make all the hiking / biking areas just a cluster ****- 
Yeah, if you could all STAY HOME that would mean our normally pretty nice mountains wouldn't have looked like fricking Yellowstone for the last few months. Or, at the very least, buy some fricking gas while you're here. 

Its funny you say that,  I talked to a guy in the parking lot as I was leaving and he basically said that if you want to go hike or fish and get any peace and quiet you pretty much have to go to Wyoming - guess this year maybe need to go to Idaho?

Since were not taking the kid back to College next weekend (he is taking himself, Ill tell him to fill up in Wyoming cause  God  knows what Colorado's History Major Exec Director likes to do with our gas tax revenue)  but we were going to go visit him in September before it gets too cold to camp and try and ride some of the Mickelson Trail - hopefully at last Rapid City will be fairly slow late September?

But I have been wanting to ride this thing for years -  https://gfp.sd.gov/parks/detail/george-s--mickelson-trail/

Its funny you say that,  I talked to a guy in the parking lot as I was leaving and he basically said that if you want to go hike or fish and get any peace and quiet you pretty much have to go to Wyoming - guess this year maybe need to go to Idaho?

Since were not taking the kid back to College next weekend (he is taking himself, Ill tell him to fill up in Wyoming cause  God  knows what Colorado's History Major Exec Director likes to do with our gas tax revenue)  but we were going to go visit him in September before it gets too cold to camp and try and ride some of the Mickelson Trail - hopefully at last Rapid City will be fairly slow late September?

But I have been wanting to ride this thing for years -  https://gfp.sd.gov/parks/detail/george-s--mickelson-trail/
I'm not telling you anything, Greenie. 

I am curious to see what travel trends end up looking like. Usually you can count on mid-August meaning everything has dropped way off as school starts up and we head into our Newlyweds and Nearly Deads season, but if everyone keeps homeschooling, I imagine they'll travel? I dunno. 

I think a lot of the virtual classrooms being done by the states are still following a pretty rigid schedule, so I don't think that will factor in very much.

The Marlin feels REALLY good with the new fork and shorter stem.  I still need to get my seat position just right, but whatever lack of handling was introduced from the longer fork has been offset by the shorter stem.  I added 20cc of oil to the air chamber to act as a volume spacer, and that really seemed to help stop whatever mid-travel wallow was there where it felt like the fork didn't ramp in fast enough.  I was really zipping along the downhills last night and felt really confident going over some roots, rocks, and flat turns without having to scrub nearly as much speed as usual.  

Just ordered a Fox tailgate pad (which surprisingly was one of the cheapest) for the truck to try and "encourage" Mrs. Supe to go get the damned hitch put on her CRV so I can move the rack to the Honda.  This way I can use the truck for solo rides or trips with just Junior on days Mrs. Supe is working.

Turtled it big time on Saturday - too low speed, strong pedal to try and get up and over a janky rock.  Back tire stopped dead, and I flipped over backwards like the wheel was tethered to the ground.  Broke the nose of the bike seat with my ass, landed onto a thankfully flat but protruding rock with the right side of my mid back, handlebars or stem smacked me in the jaw, and right hip/thigh caught a rock.  Scraped up and hurt my pride more than anything, but neck is hurting pretty good.  I was able to hold my head up enough to keep my helmet from smacking the ground when my back landed flat, but still hit hard enough that my helmet visor came off and I've got whiplash pretty good.  Thankfully nobody around to see it until Mrs. Supe and Junior came up the trail, seeing me sitting in the dirt on a hill sucking wind and looking dejected.  Looked even more dejected when I saw a guy come through at average speed and ride right through the feature like it wasn't even there.

That ride REALLY sapped the life out of us.  Plan was to ride two loops and the connector trail between them.  One loop takes about 30 minutes on a good day, the other about 40 or so on a good day.  We greatly underestimated the length, amount of climbing, and terrain on the connector trail, and the effects that the heat/humidity would have on us mid-day.  It was a slow, torture-laden grind to finish that ride.  I probably rode the last 1.5 miles in granny gear exclusively.  Took us just under a full three hours to finish, and we were all out of water.  Mrs. Supe had three spills along the way and is pretty beat up herself. 

Needless to say, we rewarded ourselves with beer and ice cream after that one.  I can't remember the last time I pushed myself that hard physically, if ever.  But, I'm glad I finished it - I feel like if an asthmatic is going to survive COVID, I need to do whatever it takes to make my lungs as strong as they can be.  

Dropper post failure on last night's ride 😢 

Took it apart when I got home.  The KS E20's and LEVs use a small pulley and kevlar braided string with two screw-tight barrels on the end to actuate a small lever on the bottom of the dropper that presses the pin for the actuator.  The string decided to snap right behind the pulley.  I'm going to run to Cabelas this afternoon to grab some braided fishing line to see if I can rig something together until I can get a replacement.  It's only like a $10 part, but I'm going to see if they'll just mail me one under warranty.  

Back