EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eSdRqxOYiCFRfNOELHRPa8zAaESJslzzIizMo7GKBoU.jpg

The number of bikes one needs is easily computed by the simple formula # bikes I need = N + 1, where N = number of bikes currently owned.

The number of bikes one needs is easily computed by the simple formula # bikes I need = N + 1, where N = number of bikes currently owned.
this 

i've got a road bike and a cross bike. Boyfriend has single speed cross, MTB, cross bikes.

if my eyes weren't so cruddy and if Boyfriend didn't want to keep me around, i'd have a mountain bike too LOL

i've considered trading in my road bike for a better one but i've got one of the better ones for the price range and to get something better, i'm looking at 2k+.

i hate all of the bike shops here too, except the one I bought my road bike from. and they closed 3 years ago. i'm still mad about it.

Thankfully Boyfriend and his best friend are very into biking and will fix my bikes 

Oh no, I don't want to be drowning in bikes 6 months from now!

my 17 year old went mtn biking a few times last summer,  he rented mtn bikes for around 35-40 bucks a day - which may be the way to go. (for me)  I hate to drop another $5K in mtn bikes this summer assuming the wife will follow me around..

I've been thinking about getting a bike lately, but I don't think I'm ready to drop a ton of money on one just yet. I'm mainly looking for something that I can use to ride around with my kids in the neighborhood or on local trails. I'm definitely not interested in a road bike because I'm never going to be riding around on the roads near my house because drivers here are crazy. I'm leaning toward just getting a MTB knowing that it's not going to be the best when riding on the street or paved trails, but it gives me the option to go out with my neighbor and ride on some of the trails that he rides on. I'm just too indecisive I guess.

I would look for something used on Craigslist if it's just casual riding. New bikes are expensive, and I would rather not buy a new Walmart bike.

Ble - I read where NC ranks up there with CO in terms of bike use in the Country so you should be able to find good stock available used, as long as you know what size you need - I did buy my first actual "nice" bike at a Bike Shop, it was around $500 bucks, on sale because the owner was switching over from Giant to Specialized and he needed to get rid of it.  But anything in the Giant / Trek / Specialized name brand should hold its worth and durability.  I am sure if you post the link to what you are looking at from craigslist here the true bike nerds can tell you if the gears are good.

When we moved here from Atlanta the kids had to ride bikes to school (or walk) as there were no school busses. Their $200 sports authority bikes fell apart after a few months of daily riding and I got them all nearly 20 year old treks off cragslist for around $150 / EA (I still have 2 of them hanging in my garage I need to sell) 

I've been looking at craigslist and facebook marketplace, but I'm basically lost when it comes to bikes. I'll try to remember to post a link here to see what people think if I find something I think looks promising.

so you can all call me a hypocrite after this post...

nearly 2 months of garage XF exercises was really annoying my knee so I started doing some bike rides since the weather was nice - and I needed an escape - we have a great trail network here that in normal times you can do 20-30 miles of biking and never cross a road, with everyone and their grandmother out for walks now its made it hard for the amateur cyclist like me to go out since apparently the walkers like to take up the full width of the trail. 

I do some driving around google earth and find some smaller collector roads East West Routes from the house that have wide  bike lanes on them, and less traffic -I had one of those blinky light things for under the seat from tour the moon. So went out and did a couple 15 miles rides each day - still creeps me out but getting used to it - nice that traffic is a little less on these roads not sure if that's normal or just due to the current situation.

I hope my wife doesnt check my Garmin and see I did this because she would likely kill me (she had a couple really bad bike wreck patients a few years ago that still traumatized her I think) 

Still dont have my ass chapped to do more than an hour, but getting there - 

I've started riding as well. I have a couple of routes from my office that I can do, and I have a 13 mile loop with descent climbs from the house (did that one yesterday). Minimal traffic and minimal other people around, so I feel ok riding.

I think I would really enjoy that ride from Boulder to Lyons, but dont know if I am ready for 65 mph traffic yet - the 45 mph local roads is just "fine"

I kind of hope I can go ride rocky mtn trail ridge road this year, usually before its open to cars and while they are doing snow removal its open for bikes, but I dont know if estes park wants all these people up there yet - but like most everything, maybe next year....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount Evans is on my "bucket" climbing list. As is Pike's Peak. Maybe next year...

Both of those sound “fun” - Evans is so crowded it’s probably safer than Pikes with all the out of town tourists screaming up the road fast and furious style -

We should set that ride up next summer - I’d give it a try....

Finally got the bike out and did 17 mi on the bike path.  Not too many out there, but I’m guessing the weekend will be mobbed.  I going to be hurting tomorrow, so I might as well have a beer. 

I saw some people did Mt Evans this past weekend, may have to get that on the earl August calendar?

Back in January I had some bad tendentious from over using my elbow - its mostly gone now, but I am seeing that on any bike ride of say 10 miles or more it just aggravates the hell out of the same elbow, it normally goes away in a day if I scrape it or us the theragun, but it just seems weird, must not be fully healed, I tried wearing a elbow sleeve but it didnt stop it from happening..  - anyone ever have anything similar happen? maybe just the vibration irritate it a little?  

You may want to try scooting your seat up or putting yourself in a more upright position to take some of the weight off of your arms.  I have similar problems with my wrist on the MTB, but have done just about everything I can setup-wise with an XC bike.  Guess I'll just have to buy a full suspension trail bike to fix it :D  

its weird  I road over 400 miles  last year and didnt have this issue, I think its just still got some type of injury that hasn't healed all the way - cause it only does it on the one elbow

It was worse on the mountain bike - but the seat it already "way on up there" if you know what I mean..

I am hoping to grab an end of season full suspension bike so I can put it in "fun mode"...

I think I need to wait at least a full year before I get yelled at for buying another bike.  Pretty good selection of used stuff around here given how popular it is, especially if you're willing to drive an hour or two towards Asheville/Pisgah.  I do wonder if I would be better off on a small frame bike than a medium though.  I'm right on the cusp at 5'7", with short legs and longer torso, so maybe my Trek just feels a bit big being that geometry is set up for XC, and I'm use to BMX-sized bikes.  

Do you have shops near the trails where you can test out the higher end bikes? its both good and bad if you know what I mean, but its cool to see the differences.

Back