December 8th release date

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NCEES website clearly states 8 - 10 weeks after the exam. 

October 27 ---> December 22 to January 5 

That's the time window results should be out if the 8-10 week time frame stays true... 
The 8-10 weeks is more of a CYA in case things are delayed. Its been more than a few years since the initial release was that late. But some straggler (read: PCS states and states that requires State board certification) states can take that long to finally release the results.

My money is still on next Thursday.  October results always take longer because of Thanksgiving.  I spent so much time last round working myself up over when results might be released lol.  Not doing that this round.  

Just to give the newbies some background:

The thing that always delays the release of the results is when a new exam is administered in a given test period.  The exam writers then have to a have a meeting to discuss the exam results and adjudicate any problematic exam questions. There are a lot of PPE exams so there is always a new exam being given in a given period. By definition, these exam review meetings occur after the initial scoring has taken place. The meetings for the more specialized disciplines (Nuke, Ag, Petro, Naval, etc) usually aren't actually produced by NCESS and tend have their meeting scheduled even later in the cycle. This is probably to accommodate the schedules of the disparate members who just learned that they suddenly have to fly in from all over the country to go over the results. The larger tests, which are produced by NCEES, proactively schedule their meeting well ahead of time and typically don't delay everyone else. The results are released 2-3 business days after that meeting(s) ends.

This happens every exam cycle. Don't complain, just get over it! The Nuclear exam meeting caused the delay in Oct 2013, Petroleum in Oct 2014, and I can't remember who delayed it in the years that followed. You can search my previous posts if you are that curious, because I've always made this same sort of post pointing out where the delay is.

This cycle the Fire Protection exam is new (source). That exam group did not schedule a meeting in October or November. I know this because it's not listed in the NCEES newsletter for Oct 2017. See page 11. We'll learn when that meeting is scheduled in the December 2017 newsletter, which itself could get posted as early as Friday Dec 1 on their website here. So check back in a few days to see when they are having their meeting, then add a few business days to predict the release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give the newbies some background:

The thing that always delays the release of the results is when a new exam is administered in a given test period.  The exam writers then have to a have a meeting to discuss the exam results and adjudicate any problematic exam questions. There are a lot of PPE exams so there is always a new exam being given in a given period. By definition, these exam review meetings occur after the initial scoring has taken place. The meetings for the more specialized disciplines (Nuke, Ag, Petro, Naval, etc) usually aren't actually produced by NCESS and tend have their meeting scheduled even later in the cycle. This is probably to accommodate the schedules of the disparate members who just learned that they suddenly have to fly in from all over the country to go over the results. The larger tests, which are produced by NCEES, proactively schedule their meeting well ahead of time and typically don't delay everyone else. The results are released 2-3 business days after that meeting(s) ends.

This happens every exam cycle. Don't complain, just get over it! The Nuclear exam meeting caused the delay in Oct 2013, Petroleum in Oct 2014, and I can't remember who delayed it in the years that followed. You can search my previous posts if you are that curious, because I've always made this same sort of post pointing out where the delay is.

This cycle the Fire Protection exam is new (source). That exam group did not schedule a meeting in October or November. I know this because it's not listed in the NCEES newsletter for Oct 2017. See page 11. We'll learn when that meeting is scheduled in the December 2017 newsletter, which itself could get posted as early as Friday Dec 1 on their website here. So check back in a few days to see when they are having their meeting, then add a few business days to predict the release date.
Great insight, I see people take it to the next level trying to guess when the results will be released (something about idle hands).

It looks like the  Fire Protection Exam is effective October 2018, so no need to worry this year or wait for them to meet.

You also mentioned that Oct 2014 was delayed because of Petroleum... I wish that this year was delayed like 2014, because I believe the results were released November 25th!  

It looks like the  Fire Protection Exam is effective October 2018, so no need to worry this year or wait for them to meet.
I stand corrected. I just went to the exam listing and selected the ones that were listed as new and saw which one was listed as October. I didn't realize that they were already updated for the 2018 exams. Oops.

I usually wait for the December newsletter to make the post.

I can't seem to find any exams that were changed for this cycle so it's possible that it might not be delayed much this time. It should still be useful to check the newsletter on Friday to see if anyone scheduled an exam meeting for early in the month. 

October 2014 results were released Dec 15. And I had to wait an extra day to learn my results. That dates is pretty much burned into my memory....

Other corrections: nuclear delayed Oct 2012, Structural? was Oct 2013, petro was Oct 2014, mining was Oct 2015, mining (again) was Oct 2016

I'm too lazy to look up April.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Florida board meets on December 7th.

I reviewed meeting minutes from last December's meeting, and other than a report on October exam site issues that were experienced, there was nothing about test results. That said, I'm not sure if I'll get my results right when NCEES releases them, or will have to wait for action from the FBPE.

The Florida board meets on December 7th.

I reviewed meeting minutes from last December's meeting, and other than a report on October exam site issues that were experienced, there was nothing about test results. That said, I'm not sure if I'll get my results right when NCEES releases them, or will have to wait for action from the FBPE.
Florida tends to release the results immediately.

There aren't too many states left that require an in-person board meeting to release the results.

*But there is a difference between releasing results and issuing a license. The latter can be instantaneous or it could take months depending on the state.

Florida board meeting full transcript:

"Hey Billy Bob, did those yanks release the scores yet?"

"No Jeb they didn't"

"Ok, pass the corn bread"

"Did someone say pass?"

"Nope, meeting adjourned"

NC results are officially out... Just confirmed with my friend in NC

All the best guys!!!!

Back