Cut scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time taker here. Civil Geotech - AM-28, PM-20, Total 48.

Leaving the exam it felt as if the morning was much stronger. PM was fairly accurate to how I felt about it with preparation and level of difficulty. Plan on taking EET course for this next go around. Any Geotech folks on here pass?

We received a fail score of 51 in structural in another thread. Which means the str cut score was probably 52. That’s on the lower side of the 52-56 we were told to expect. This exam was difficult by most admissions. 
I kind of found solace in the fact that test was tough but the stats that NCEES put out, says different things

Compared to October 2018(60%) , 6% more people passed this time among first time takers in Civil Structural exam.

I kind of found solace in the fact that test was tough but the stats that NCEES put out, says different things

Compared to October 2018(60%) , 6% more people passed this time among first time takers in Civil Structural exam.

Might have something to do with the easy AM test coupled with a low cut score.

The passing score was probably somewhere in the 54-57 range. What was your AM-PM split?
Please don’t pass around misguided information. If he got a 68% with 49/80 questions right, then the cut score for construction is either 50 or 51 out of 80. 

People are on here to try to find help so let’s help them by giving good information

Civil: Geotech: 48/80 (AM: 26, PM: 22)
If it makes you feel any better, I've taken the exam 4 times and finally passed this time. My score breakdown for the previous exams are:

Civil: Geotech:

October 2017:   47/80 (AM: 27, PM: 20)

April 2018:         46/80 (AM: 21, PM: 25)

October 2018:   45/80 (AM: 25, PM: 20)

Don't get discouraged (easier said than done, I know) but keep on going. Don't quit, just keep taking it until you pass!

For Civil Transpo, I started a post with April 2019 cut scores. Highest I have seen so far was 49/80. Based on the tough PM depth section, my guesstimate is 50-52, which is in line with other civil disciplines.

We received a fail score of 51 in structural in another thread. Which means the str cut score was probably 52. That’s on the lower side of the 52-56 we were told to expect. This exam was difficult by most admissions. 
This feels right, maybe a 52-53. There was a cliffside forming around 49-51 from the reported failures. WRE reported a 54 from a coworker, and I know some people want to dismiss it out-of-hand, but I don't really agree with that approach and I think the 54 should be considered.

With that said, I really want to caution people about focusing on the cut scores. I can understand this as an academic exercise, or an attempt to get a Pyrrhic victory, but it can't mean anything more than that. The cut score doesn't matter; you can see my thesis here. If anything, knowing the cut score for last session's test could hurt you in the next attempt.

The NCEES diagnostic already shows you your relative strengths and weakness by subject area. You can actually use that information that to help focus your studying for the next attempt.

But, how would knowing this sessions cut score help you? I'm not asking rhetorically, I want to know why you think it will help? The cut score doesn't guide you on what subject to study. Perhaps you could to make the argument it provides guidance on the intensity of the studying for the next attempt? Okay great, except that if you got a 49 and you think that the cut score was only at 51, then you might not put as much effort into studying for the next exam as you should, maybe just a 'few' more hours than the last time. That's the wrong approach!

The cut score changes with every exam in every session. You can't plan for the last war, you have to plan for the next one. You need to study for the next exam as if the cut score is 80/80, not low 50's. Planning for the low 50s is how you get to repeat this whole dreaded exercise yet another time.

the "you" in the above isn't directed at anyone in particular.

If it makes you feel any better, I've taken the exam 4 times and finally passed this time. My score breakdown for the previous exams are:

Civil: Geotech:

October 2017:   47/80 (AM: 27, PM: 20)

April 2018:         46/80 (AM: 21, PM: 25)

October 2018:   45/80 (AM: 25, PM: 20)

Don't get discouraged (easier said than done, I know) but keep on going. Don't quit, just keep taking it until you pass!
Especially if each successive test counts down by 1 point, oh my god.... Congrats on passing! 

SC Civil WRE AM:21 PM:17.   37/80

Sad thing is that I got a 47/80 first attempt with no study.I did school of PE on demand. The AM study portion was good but afternoon was not that helpful I think. I got a 0 out of 6 on both wastewater and water. I got a 100 on all hydrology stuff.

I hear the EET school is much better. Any thoughts?

Is the pass/fail line determined by state or nationwide?

NCEES determines the pass/fail. It's done nationally. It makes comity and reciprocity easier.

Any state could override a fail, but it's never happened before. I know that Georgia (and Alabama?) give bonus points for being a disable vet, but I don't know how that works in practice. Such a grading scheme would be make transferring a license problematic.

SC Civil WRE AM:21 PM:17.   37/80

Sad thing is that I got a 47/80 first attempt with no study.I did school of PE on demand. The AM study portion was good but afternoon was not that helpful I think. I got a 0 out of 6 on both wastewater and water. I got a 100 on all hydrology stuff.

I hear the EET school is much better. Any thoughts?

there's lots of threads about review courses, too. I cannot speak for WRE but for SE Vertical, EET was amazing!

Please don’t pass around misguided information. If he got a 68% with 49/80 questions right, then the cut score for construction is either 50 or 51 out of 80. 

People are on here to try to find help so let’s help them by giving good information
I'd say 50-51 is more misguided than 54-57, though determining cut score is such a pointless effort. What makes your information better than anyone else's?

Back