Cut scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say 50-51 is more misguided than 54-57, though determining cut score is such a pointless effort. What makes your information better than anyone else's?
Because it’s based on the score people from Texas got. The cut scores are determined nationally so it’s the same in all states. So based on that Texas score, you can interpolate and get the ball park cut score. And determining cut score helps the people who failed see how close or far they are from passing.

So since you seem so passionate about this, what makes you think 54-57 cut is more realistic based on that Texas score on here? (49/80 with a 68% I believe)

Because it’s based on the score people from Texas got. The cut scores are determined nationally so it’s the same in all states. So based on that Texas score, you can interpolate and get the ball park cut score. And determining cut score helps the people who failed see how close or far they are from passing.

So since you seem so passionate about this, what makes you think 54-57 cut is more realistic based on that Texas score on here? (49/80 with a 68% I believe)
I'm saying you are in no better position to say other predictions are misguided information. No one knows interpolation is even valid, or if it's linear. Also, your data is extremely limited.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm saying you are in no better position to say other predictions are misguided information. No one knows interpolation is even valid, or if it's linear. Also, your data is extremely limited.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion.
So you can’t explain yourself... at least I was able to provide something that got me to my conclusion. like I said before, I’m here because I genuinely want to help. I was in the same boat with everyone after the exam and this site helped me with my nerves during the waiting process. 

So the least I can do is give good and educated information based on information that’s provided by other people on here. You can help by not providing bad ones. Not trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to make sure people on here gets good info

So you can’t explain yourself... at least I was able to provide something that got me to my conclusion. like I said before, I’m here because I genuinely want to help. I was in the same boat with everyone after the exam and this site helped me with my nerves during the waiting process. 

So the least I can do is give good and educated information based on information that’s provided by other people on here. You can help by not providing bad ones. Not trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to make sure people on here gets good info
Good info or useless info? If those who failed knew the cut score would they have passed?  If anyone who failed wasn't aiming for 100% they deserved to fail.

Good info or useless info? If those who failed knew the cut score would they have passed?  If anyone who failed wasn't aiming for 100% they deserved to fail.
Good info... if the cut score is say 52, if someone got a 50/80 then they know they are on the right path and just need to make minor adjustments. As oppose to some getting 38/80 who has to make major adjustments. 

So yes, people do find this helpful, hence this form was created...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info... if the cut score is say 52, if someone got a 50/80 then they know they are on the right path and just need to make minor adjustments. As oppose to some getting 38/80 who has to make major adjustments. 

So yes, people do find this helpful, hence this form was created...
That's what the NCEES diagnostic is for.  Cut score should not change how you study.

Back