Coronavirus home office

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dumb question since my IT guy is awol.. I am going to start back to the office June 8th, but not full time.  I think for the summer I am going to be doing 3 days a week- 

Ive got a pretty productive set up and want to be able to just take the monitor back and forth and not the docking station -

I just have a basic HP laptop, it has one HDMI and one USB - The docking station is below and it connects via a cable - doesnt actually "dock" but If I cant get an extra from work I was just going to buy something, looks like they are around $100 bucks, but to run multiple monitors should any of these work..

This is the one I have from work:

hub.jpg

dumb question since my IT guy is awol.. I am going to start back to the office June 8th, but not full time.  I think for the summer I am going to be doing 3 days a week- 

Ive got a pretty productive set up and want to be able to just take the monitor back and forth and not the docking station -

I just have a basic HP laptop, it has one HDMI and one USB - The docking station is below and it connects via a cable - doesnt actually "dock" but If I cant get an extra from work I was just going to buy something, looks like they are around $100 bucks, but to run multiple monitors should any of these work..

This is the one I have from work:

View attachment 17789
I'm personally considering buying a couple of monitors with my own funds, since my monitors are huge and cumbersome to lug around. There are some decent ones on the market that are relatively cheap. I can probably get an additional dock from my IT if I need it.

So your laptop has HDMI built in? Do you have only one extra monitor? Is the dock mainly for USB extension then?

Normally at work I have two monitors that both plug into the docking station in the picture and then I plug a cable in to the laptop -

I bought one monitor at home and then brought one home from work these past 3 months - so I was going to get another 24IN monitor for my home set up and then try and find the best way to have really all 3 screen work at both places, (laptop, monitor 1, monitor 2) - since I have to use my laptop for calls.

this is the set up at home- the cable that runs out of the laptop goes to the dock station where the monitors are hooked up too..

pcs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally at work I have two monitors that both plug into the docking station in the picture and then I plug a cable in to the laptop -

I bought one monitor at home and then brought one home from work these past 3 months - so I was going to get another 24IN monitor for my home set up and then try and find the best way to have really all 3 screen work at both places, (laptop, monitor 1, monitor 2) - since I have to use my laptop for calls.

View attachment 17790
Got it, this makes more sense now.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a good way around it other than getting another dock. I can understand not wanting to transport the whole darn thing both places.

If you don't want to spring for an additional monitor for home, I guess I can see it not being too bad to transport one of your work ones back and forth.

Yeah I am thinking the same.. 

the monitor on the left was only $80 bucks from the wal-mart, may just grab another. 

I am looking around for a better desk set up - I think for the next 6 months there will be some type of WFH - and I just got a new boss who is in another State so if I dont have any in person meetings and I can not commute I wont mind spending some cash to have that convenience..

I had been going into the office once a week just to get out of the house, last time I went in there was around 40 people there and that sort of took some of the fun out of it..

Cool thread,
since I'm getting caught up, I'll be the guy to bump old threads today.
:)

I've also been working remotely, and had to set up a home office. I found a corner in the upstairs den. Not a bad deal, comes with a 65" TV and a view of the pool.
The view was distracting during the summer, as I did fall to pressure and did some afternoon conference calls from the water.
I MISS SUMMER !!

Attachments

• off1.jpg
    off1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
  • off2.jpg
    off2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 15
I posted this somewhere too, but my home office desk has a bit of an inset notch where the keyboard tray is, and has drawers on either side, so you can't roll the chair arms under the desk. I used to roll the chair under the desk and basically recline at work in the nice ergonomic chair. At home, I was constantly slouching forward because the chair couldn't recline.

After failing with an Amazon riser, I bought this:

https://www.btod.com/blog/2017/06/21/the-vertdesk-standing-desk-converter-review-rating-pricing/
Very solid, happy with it so far. The big downside is that while my back feels better, the heels of my feet are KILLING ME from standing so much. I have some old man sandals coming tomorrow that will hopefully help, but I need to just force myself to lower the desk and sit some during the day. Also using one of those cheap Harbor Freight foam mats to stand on for some cushion.

When we first shutdown, I was not prepared in the slightest for work from home. It was chaotic in most electronics stores and computer monitors were out of stock everywhere. I wound up getting a 24" TV from target and hooked up my work laptop to that.

I was working on our kitchen table for about 2 weeks. After that my back really couldn't take those chairs that were not meant for sitting in for hours and I ordered a desk and a chair from wayfair. They actually came in a matter of 3 days since I picked stock options. So then I had more room to add my personal laptop to look up things online and play music on Sirius xm or Spotify.

20200314_150442.jpg
RyanKondracki.jpg

Back