College Football 2016

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to farther removed from college i get the more college sports seem as unimportant as high school sports.  

You can't overlook the funding that a good college sports team brings to a school.

If the conference championship doesn't play a role in the playoff selection, then why bother having conferences in the first place?  Get rid of conferences and the problem goes away.  But I'm sure someone would lose money in the process so it'll never happen.

If the conference championship doesn't play a role in the playoff selection, then why bother having conferences in the first place?  Get rid of conferences and the problem goes away.  But I'm sure someone would lose money in the process so it'll never happen.
Because TV money.

I don't think conference championships are bad.  Conference divisions that are structured in such a manner that the two teams with the best records don't play each other are.

I keep hearing people wanting the committee to put Michigan in there? I mean **** they literally played maybe 2 quality teams the entire season?  They should be way the F down the list..

Here is the "committee"

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee

Gesus H Christ talk about a bunch of people that qualify more as "wann a bes" than " has beens"   Former Sec State Rice???

Because TV money.

I don't think conference championships are bad.  Conference divisions that are structured in such a manner that the two teams with the best records don't play each other are.
Yeah, it's a tricky thing winning in your conference and not outside it.  You end up exactly where the big 10 is.  If it's truly a conference championship, doesn't it make sense to look strictly at the in conference games?  I don't know.

I keep hearing people wanting the committee to put Michigan in there? I mean **** they literally played maybe 2 quality teams the entire season?  They should be way the F down the list..
I kind of hope they get Michigan in as #4 and then Bama hands them their asses.  Harbaugh is in the news here in at least one article every. single. ****. day.  It would be nice to take them down a peg or two.

I kind of hope they get Michigan in as #4 and then Bama hands them their asses.  Harbaugh is in the news here in at least one article every. single. ****. day.  It would be nice to take them down a peg or two.
Wouldn't leaving them out be a bigger F.U. to him/them?

Wouldn't leaving them out be a bigger F.U. to him/them?
No, because then they'll just whine about how unfair the selection process was.  They need a real beating to take them down a notch.  Even in their loss to Ohio State all they're doing is whining about the officiating, nevermind they didn't play very well.

I like them whining.  That way the boosters realize that they're paying $9M/yr to a whiny bitch who, despite a team full of seniors that is by far the best they've had in years, still can't beat Ohio State's team of freshmen.

I like them whining.  That way the boosters realize that they're paying $9M/yr to a whiny bitch who, despite a team full of seniors that is by far the best they've had in years, still can't beat Ohio State's team of freshmen.
Exactly. Hard to imagine how bad they'll look next year with a seasoned group from Ohio on the field.

Was a crap game offensively until the end.

Neither team looked very good through regulation.

15241172_1155136271235474_2424357057437628429_n.jpg

I'm sure this has already made the rounds lol,  hoping Clemson has a strong game to put the whinny OSU fans to rest this year...

Hard to call BCS vs. playoff era an apples to apples comparison, where your only options were a top two spot, and your conference championship was the last game of the year.

I'm stunned they've made it this far to be honest.  This was supposed to be their "rebuilding year" due to all the starters they lost and the sheer number of freshmen.  If the OSU shows up that played Oklahoma, it will be a very interesting game.  If the ends of OSU's OL play like a kid with a 4 year scholarship should, Clemson will have a much harder time with things.  Clemson still hasn't played any really good teams this year...

I don't think you can call this the playoff if era... this is more like the pre BCS era than ever....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious if any of the nay-sayers actually saw the OSU vs PSU game. OSU was winning even after playing badly at PSU. The only reason PSU won was by blocking a field goal and running it back for a touchdown at the end of the 4th quarter. I could see there being an argument if PSU had really beaten OSU, but they eeked it out at the end on a fluke play. When PSU went to Michigan (who OSU beat), they got manhandled.

The Big 10 did it to themselves when they bloated up to 14 teams and split into an east and west. Ideally, it should have been OSU and PSU playing again for the Big 10 championship with the winner going to the playoff.

Yeah, but if you are going to say they "lost close' then they have to lose points for "winning close" to the 2 above average teams they actually played this past season..

I don't really care about OSU but I just think the concept of a "playoff" division is laughable with the current situation, This to me is almost as bad as when they used to just vote in UCS every year because the LA Times likes them..

I have no objections with OSU getting in over PSU.  Nothing in the committee selection process says that the teams need to be conference champions, just says it helps.  Penn State lost by 39 points to Michigan and won by 3 at home over OSU.  Ohio State at least went on the road and beat Oklahoma and they also beat Michigan.  I think if OSU doesn't win at Oklahoma (ie. played a cupcake instead) then they wouldn't / shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Back