CBT vs P&P Pass Rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It appears the CBT pass rates are much higher than the last times P&P exams was offered:

Exam First-time takers Repeat takers FormatAvailabilityLast updated
PE Electrical and Computer: Power64371%N/AN/ACBTYear roundJan 2021

Compared to P&P October 2019
Exam First-Time Takers (%) Repeat Takers (%)
Electrical and Computer: Power50%26%

P&P April 2019
Exam First-Time Takers (%) Repeat Takers (%)
Electrical and Computer: Power58%39%

I'm glad the pass rates are a bit higher now. It was disheartening to see the pass rates of the previous exams to be in the 50 - 60% range for years.

Is the CBT exam less difficult than the P&P? or is difficulty about the same? For those that have taken both versions, would like to hear your thoughts on the transition. Good luck to those that are now studying for the CBT.

That is because examiners who have been cancelled from both April and October 2020 Pencil & Paper exam (just like me) had got more time to study more. So you might need to consider that one for having the passing rate increased. We can wait for another set of passing rate for few more months and see how it goes.

I have no experience with the pen and paper exam but I would have to assume that there was a slight reduction in difficulty of the exam due the change in the resources you can use as a test taker. The new exam is meant to be completed by having an understanding of the fundamentals of each topic on the specifications, the PDF reference handbook, the PDF copies of the codes, and a calculator.

This isn't apples-to-apples at all. I know I studied for 14 months (and took 1 month off each time test was canceled) for a total of 12 months. I logged over 500 hours studied and worked over 2,500 problems. I'm sure the first CBT takers studied MUCH MORE than the people who were allowed to take it whenever they wanted for P&P precovid.

Back