can your stamp have a different name than your legal name?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! That would make sense. For some reason I thought I had read somewhere that it could be different, but I probably just made it up.

Your stamp does have to match your name as the state board has it in their system and on your certificate.  Some states allow different things with the middle name.  Best to contact the board for specific questions though.

Your stamp does have to match your name as the state board has it in their system and on your certificate.  Some states allow different things with the middle name.  Best to contact the board for specific questions though.
Thanks!

It is relatively common for women to keep their professional licenses in their maiden name and not switch it if they chose to change their name when they get married. This is especially true if you are getting (re)married later in life, when you already have a well-established career.

It does not always have to match. My Texas license has my legal name shown on the certificate, but they allow me to use the name I go by on my stamp.

Do you put your full name or just middle initial? 

What stamp style do you prefer? I like my self inking return address stamp but I'm not sure what it will look like coming from @PE Stamps.

TN board told me the stamp needs to match my signature but I am allowed to use an abbreviated version of my name (stamp needs to match how you sign your name).  I use an abbreviated version of my first name, my middle initial, full last name on my stamp.  My certificate has my full name and no initials or abbreviations. 

Latest posts

Back