California Results Any news???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good luck everyone... and yes it will be hard concentrating in this meeting because I will be wanting to look at my phone.

I see a lot of WR and Construction depth PE takers. Did anyone take the Structural depth and pass? Have to retake it again and was wondering if they took a review course that prepped them well. Thanks!….and congrats to those that passed. 
I just past PE in Structural Depth in my first try without going to any classes. I think I have made above 90% in AM section. So in the afternoon I just need to make around 60% to get a pass. That is my strategy. 

Finally had to step away from my computer and go for a run, stretch it out a bit and burn off some of the tension.

I passed them all this second time through, changed my approach pretty drastically and went from 0/3 to 3/3.

I have lot's I can report pertaining to how I accomplished the goal but there's also a lot of information on these forums. If anyone is interested to hear how I did it and what worked for me let me know.

I will say this: there's little luck to this (but studying and getting all 3 in one cycle is a BEAST of a task): prepare and study your asses off and you'll get it.

Log your time and keep yourself honest about how much focused study time you put in, you'll earn those credentials just like you earned your B.S. and your F.E.- you got this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally had to step away from my computer and go for a run, stretch it out a bit and burn off some of the tension.I passed them all this second time through, changed my approach pretty drastically and went from 0/3 to 3/3.

I have lot's I can report pertaining to how I accomplished the goal but there's also a lot of information on these forums. If anyone is interested to hear how I did it and what worked for me let me know.

I will say this: there's little luck to this (but studying and getting all 3 in one cycle is a BEAST of a task): prepare and study your asses off and you'll get it.

Log your time and keep yourself honest about how much focused study time you put in, you'll earn those credentials just like you earned your B.S. and your F.E.- you got this!
Hey Matt. I got the 8 hour and seismic but not surveying. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hey Matt. I got the 8 hour and seismic but not surveying. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Couple things that really helped me for survey: I have used the HP35s since college and purchased a book to program a bunch of routines into the calculator and then used the routines the whole time I was doing practice problems- this didn't really give me more accuracy but it enabled me to speed up considerably. I think the programming is predicated on running the calculator in RPN but that's how I roll anyway so it works for me.

PPI has a survey definitions book- buy it. That book alone probably helped me on 5+ questions.

If you took a geomatics class in college and took notes or have good text resources from the classes I'd say review them.

Then pick up the PPI sample tests, I think there are two tests in a single book (120 questions total), as well as their practice problems book.

I'd say do all of the problems in January (DO NOT write in the book), take a break, then do them all again in February/March without cheating on the problems and see where you're at. If say for instance you can do a large percentage of the problems in the 120 questions book without cheating then you're probably in good shape but hitting all those concepts twice in a row practice-wise helped me a lot to retain the approach to problems in the test.

Also- I got back in the habit of showing my work very deliberately; I have a tendency to work things out in scratch when studying and then it's very difficult to go back and catch mistakes if I don't come up with the correct answer. Draw things out and show steps so you can review your own work. This is admittedly a balancing act for time on the exam but when I was practicing I didn't concern myself with time as much as concept/process/execution/answer.

I also picked up the PPI Survey textbook but it wasn't incredibly useful to me for most of both tests. I did flip to it a couple times but I honestly probably used my CERM on the survey exam more.

On test day do not spend time on problems you can't do right away. Take the time to read every single problem, even if you don't have that lightbulb moment while you're reading, then skip back and hit every problem you're confident in figuring out. I had to skip 5 or so problems because they were so tough to figure out, glean meaningful information from a half page of text, but still passed using this strategy. 

If/when I think of more I'll ping you again. Study focused!

I just past PE in Structural Depth in my first try without going to any classes. I think I have made above 90% in AM section. So in the afternoon I just need to make around 60% to get a pass. That is my strategy. 
Thanks!

I took the Structural depth last April and got destroyed. I was working in the field and not in the office for the last year so I switched to Construction depth... Needless to say that's one of the better decisions I've made.

Took the EET course on-demand to learn what I didn't know and used the binder of reference material to crush the national exam.
Thanks! I took the on-demand EET course before retaking the School of PE review course. I did really well in the morning session but not so great in the afternoon. I forgot most of the EET review when the exam approached. I think I'm just taking the live EET course this time around. Thanks for the input!

Diego don't give up. IMHO, it's a test that is not reflective on whether someone should have their PE or not. But that is a whole different discussion. I wouldn't look at you as any lesser of an engineer than someone that passed. I passed without taking any prep courses. Maybe that helped, I don't know. I know PPI'S philosophy is for you to get 100% on the morning portion. So maybe the structural depth is less of a focus to them, I'm not sure. When time permits I'll message you with how I prepared. If I can do it, you most certainly can.

doubleH…thanks for the encouragement. Just a bit frustrated after taking this thing 3x. If you can, it would be great to hear how you organized yourself to pass. I need to pass this thing and get on with my life. Thanks again!

Back