California Results Any news???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had to step away from my computer and go for a run, stretch it out a bit and burn off some of the tension.

I passed them all this second time through, changed my approach pretty drastically and went from 0/3 to 3/3.

I have lot's I can report pertaining to how I accomplished the goal but there's also a lot of information on these forums. If anyone is interested to hear how I did it and what worked for me let me know.

I will say this: there's little luck to this (but studying and getting all 3 in one cycle is a BEAST of a task): prepare and study your asses off and you'll get it.

Log your time and keep yourself honest about how much focused study time you put in, you'll earn those credentials just like you earned your B.S. and your F.E.- you got this!
@Oregon_Matt, that is fantastic, and truly something to be very proud of.

If you have the chance, I'd love to hear what study resources you used for the structural depth PE exam!

Hey guys, so I checked the CA license verification website and mine is up and assigned a number.  But it indicates an expiration date of 3/31/17?  How is that possible?  Do you guys have the same or different expiration dates? If someone can offer some insight on this issue, I would appreciate it!

@Oregon_Matt, that is fantastic, and truly something to be very proud of.

If you have the chance, I'd love to hear what study resources you used for the structural depth PE exam!
@leggoI work in power delivery, typically substation but also transmission and as a result I use components of each of the depth modules on a regular basis. From site design, grading and hydrology to geotechnical analysis, foundation and structure design, I practice across the breadth of civil engineering every day.

That being said, I also do a lot of structure design as well as retrofit of old structures and so when looking at the test subject breakdowns this time last year I chose to sit for the structural depth PM in April 16'. I also went to the field for a year and a half starting in June 15' and as a result spent from then to exactly the test day in October 16' working 6-days/week and at least 60 hours. (Aside: I really enjoyed that work but I'm super happy to be back designing and running projects). This made it tough to carve out sufficient study time.

My experience with the structural depth in April was not a positive one and looking at my performance breakdown I decided to switch gears altogether. I had over-studied for the breadth and didn't leave enough time for the depth/seismic/survey and I failed all three exams. Coming out I felt that no matter how many practice problems I did for the structural I would have to anticipate that the test writers could change the focus of the depth questions each cycle and my net return on study time invested would be smaller than if I switched to a different depth module.

I elected to switch to construction. Certainly the decision to switch after failure isn't for everyone but I would say that looking at the test plan for each depth module this was the best decision for me. When I decided to switch I recognized that I had shortcomings for the construction depth but I felt that overall it would take less time for me to master the 4-5 types of questions I might see for each item on the test plan for construction than for the structural or any other depth module.

I enrolled and took the EET Construction Depth course on-demand and utilized the binder of resources provided through the class as my primary reference along with the CERM. I found the depth portion itself to be something I could easily handle during the exam and felt solid about the breadth (I did well on the breadth the first time through).

It took some self-reflection for me to get to this point and it was extremely humbling but the thing that I tried to bear in mind is this: this exam can be a good way to filter out applicants for licensure because it tests the skill that we've spent so long developing: our ability to attack a problem by analyzing the root of that problem, gathering the necessary information and then using our best-possible decision-making skills to solve that problem. The caveat: the problem to be solved is how to pass the test itself, not necessarily how to answer every question correctly. In changing my approach to preparing for the exam I reaffirmed my own ability to be a problem-solver: an engineer. For myself, I had to utilize things that made me successful as a student and that was reaching out to those who knew more about the subject matter, not engineering per-se but the PE exam itself, and that is why I chose to enroll in EET. Those subject matter experts know a lot about the challenges of the exams and are a phenomenal resource but I still had to put in the work, it wasn't just sit through the classes and magically pass....

That's my journey, it's been a good one and I'm obviously a talker and like to share that journey cause lol sorry I wrote so much. If you have more questions let's talk and if I should move this to another thread I can too. 

Hey guys, so I checked the CA license verification website and mine is up and assigned a number.  But it indicates an expiration date of 3/31/17?  How is that possible?  Do you guys have the same or different expiration dates? If someone can offer some insight on this issue, I would appreciate it!
The board has a couple different cycles that it places engineers in for renewal so they aren't processing renewals all year. I know a few who are 6/30... It looks like we're in the 3/31 group.

Time to pony up some more $$$! Yippee! (sarcasm intended) 

The board has a couple different cycles that it places engineers in for renewal so they aren't processing renewals all year. I know a few who are 6/30... It looks like we're in the 3/31 group.

Time to pony up some more $$$! Yippee! (sarcasm intended) 
FYI ya'll to whom this applies (us lucky folks).

License Fees.PNG

OK, get a response from someone at BPELSG.  As you said Oregon, more $$$!

When you are awarded your license you are slotted into the next renewal cycle within 90 days of licensure.  At this point you have not yet paid for your license, only for the application/examination process.  Once you renew in March your license with then be valid for two years.

OK, get a response from someone at BPELSG.  As you said Oregon, more $$$!

When you are awarded your license you are slotted into the next renewal cycle within 90 days of licensure.  At this point you have not yet paid for your license, only for the application/examination process.  Once you renew in March your license with then be valid for two years.
I came here ready to ask the same question, but you guys are on top of it! Geez :)  Thanks for the info @geemanjee. That actually makes sense. A renewal period of 2 years is actually not bad. Annoying but doable. I initially thought it was every year, I was ready to throw a fit 

Do any of you know when we might get our certificates as well? Do they mail them to our home addresses? 

Do any of you know when we might get our certificates as well? Do they mail them to our home addresses? 
Email from board says: We are pleased to inform you that you have successfully met all required criteria for licensure as a

Professional Engineer. This letter will serve as temporary evidence that you now hold a valid license. A formal

certificate, which will include your license number, will be prepared and mailed to you within four to six weeks.

17 minutes ago, NJtoCA said: Do any of you know when we might get our certificates as well? Do they mail them to our home addresses? 
Email from board says: We are pleased to inform you that you have successfully met all required criteria for licensure as aProfessional Engineer. This letter will serve as temporary evidence that you now hold a valid license. A formal

certificate, which will include your license number, will be prepared and mailed to you within four to six weeks.
Great job Eva!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Email from board says: We are pleased to inform you that you have successfully met all required criteria for licensure as a

Professional Engineer. This letter will serve as temporary evidence that you now hold a valid license. A formal

Got the same e-mail after I asked the question. Thanks :)

Got the same e-mail after I asked the question. Thanks :)
I have only received email from NCEES yet and nothing from state. May be they will send one when my license number will be entered into the database.

I assume all license numbers are not entered into the system. I think all new license numbers entered yesterday are for southern CA only. I am from Sacramento and did not see any new license numbers for those who passed in 2016 and took their exam in Sacramento area.

Back