California Dreamin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm civil and not in the system yet! I'm going to keep checking all day today and i hope to show up soon!

Don't forget your business cards. I've got a box of a thousand that are usless to me now, but it'll be worth the cost.
Oh yes. I also have hundreds of business cards that need to be dumped. I am sure the 4000MW Power Station project I am working on now will not mind an itsy bitsy business card expense billed to it (with my supervisor's approval of course :rolleyes: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the system. Just updated my signature. Man, that felt nice. Congrats to the rest of you, and hope those still waiting don't have to wait much longer!

Unless your job title changes (i.e. was "Staff Engineer" and now that you're a PE it is "Project Engineer"), I wouldn't throw out those old business cards quite yet. Go ahead and get some new ones with "P.E." proudlyy displayed after your name for use in CA. Keep the old ones if you are ever meeting with clients or going after work in states that you are not registered in. Some states (CA included) are very picky about who can call themselves a P.E. or an S.E.. The main times you could run into an issue are in dealing with out of state licensing boards, government offices, and if in-state consultants want to make a stink if for some reason they know you are not registered. I it sounds silly an paranoid but I've run into this before. I am registered in almost 20 states as either a P.E. or an S.E.. I have business cards that show my name, company, title, vital information (address, email, etc) but do not have "P.E" or "S.E." after my name. I have a list at the bottom of the card that shows what states I'm registered in. Of course, if you will only be working in your home state... all bets are off!!

Congradulations the all you new P.E.'s! This is a great accomplishment!

To all those who sit waiting for the stupid Seismic and Surveying exam result... I feel your pain as I too am waiting for those. Try waiting on the 8hr written SE exam (WA for me).... talk about a waiting game! Good luck to all!

Unless your job title changes (i.e. was "Staff Engineer" and now that you're a PE it is "Project Engineer"), I wouldn't throw out those old business cards quite yet. Go ahead and get some new ones with "P.E." proudlyy displayed after your name for use in CA. Keep the old ones if you are ever meeting with clients or going after work in states that you are not registered in. Some states (CA included) are very picky about who can call themselves a P.E. or an S.E.. The main times you could run into an issue are in dealing with out of state licensing boards, government offices, and if in-state consultants want to make a stink if for some reason they know you are not registered. I it sounds silly an paranoid but I've run into this before. I am registered in almost 20 states as either a P.E. or an S.E.. I have business cards that show my name, company, title, vital information (address, email, etc) but do not have "P.E" or "S.E." after my name. I have a list at the bottom of the card that shows what states I'm registered in. Of course, if you will only be working in your home state... all bets are off!!

Congradulations the all you new P.E.'s! This is a great accomplishment!

To all those who sit waiting for the stupid Seismic and Surveying exam result... I feel your pain as I too am waiting for those. Try waiting on the 8hr written SE exam (WA for me).... talk about a waiting game! Good luck to all!
I have clients in OR, NY & NJ and my email sig and biz cards show the head office in NYC as my address.

I've gone with Trev, P.E. (CA) to avoid confusion.

Was considering having Trev, P.E. and then CA lic # 123456 below it but felt it was a bit wordy.

I have gone with

Joe E. Bloggs P.E.* Mechanical Engineer I Energy Division

Company Name and Address

* Licensed in California

Congrats to those of you who received their license numbers. Very nice. :clap:

Come on Civil....... come on Civil......

So ptatohed - you've been through the wait three times now. Does it get easier the more times you go through it?

I'm pretty sure I failed seismic. I dread the wait more than I dread re-taking the exam.

Is there another seismic we should be waiting for??

I'm pretty sure I passed it and don't want to study seismic again...but we'll see....

It would suck to need to pay just for seismic again, but Cali needs some money or at least better spending policies

Imagine all of the extra PE app money that they get just from the seismic exam alone. Surveys was pretty easy but I know plenty of people that don't pass that on the first, or many, many times.

Lots of extra app money just for a stoopid 2.5 hr test

So ptatohed - you've been through the wait three times now. Does it get easier the more times you go through it?

I'm pretty sure I failed seismic. I dread the wait more than I dread re-taking the exam.

YMZ, lol. Well.... this is the hardest because this is the time I truly hope to obtain my license. Before this I knew I was only passing one exam of the three (one each time). The wait was still hard but this one is torturous - lol. This is actually a record early for CA. I wasn't even expecting results until early-mid Jan. But I think the hardest part about this time is that the 8-hour CA results were released a few weeks before the state specific results (previously, they were always released at/near the same time). I was actually doing pretty good with the wait until the CA 8-hour results were released. Oh well. I do hope the registry includes new Civils tomorrow. Otherwise we'll have to wait for the mail next week. Good luck with Seismic (my least favorite). Please let me know if I can help (if I passed, that is).

So ptatohed - you've been through the wait three times now. Does it get easier the more times you go through it? I'm pretty sure I failed seismic. I dread the wait more than I dread re-taking the exam.
You mean the Cali 2.5 hour seismic?
As opposed to what?

I have gone with

Joe E. Bloggs P.E.* Mechanical Engineer I Energy Division

Company Name and Address

* Licensed in California
Since I'm a transplant Californian in Colorado and California is my first PE, I ended up with a signature:

John Smith

Mechanical Engineer, P.E. Licensed CA

Company Name

123 NoName St

Denver, CO

I think this works well, since I work with clients in multiple states.

Here is your quote for the day if you are interested in the Civil State specific exams (from e-mail I received from PELS): "I just talked to the Exam Unit. They believe they will be going out tomorrow."

Thanks for the info. I hope they update the database tomorrow instead of just sending letters.

Is there any pro/con to having a stamp vs. embossing seal? Do some documents require one or the other or are they the same thing? Not many PE's in my industry so I don't have much experience with these things. I'm not likely to use whatever I get much anyway but I may switch industries at some point too.

Same boat here Surfer357, not much need to use it in my industry, but if I ever stamp something, it will likely be transmitted electronically... So I'm getting a stamp so it can be scanned.

Back