California Application and References: Civil - Transportation - Traffic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFLuke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I passed the Civil PE (Transportation) exam in October. I'm filling out the application and have two general questions, one regarding references and another regarding qualifying experience.

I worked for 2.5 years where my manager was a Planner and all my engineering work was reviewed by a PE. I'd planned to use that engineer as a reference for that engagement. The problem is that I went to look up his license to fill out the application, and it says "LICENSE TYPE: TRAFFIC ENGINEERS." I'm not sure what the implications of this are - I know there is a Professional Traffic Engineer license in California, but does this mean that this person would not qualify as a reference for my Civil PE application? Most people I've looked up who are described with this license type have PE after their names. I could find Civil PEs that I worked with (but not closely) during that same engagement.

The same situation applies to my current supervisor, but I work closely with another person whose license type is Civil Engineer. If two of my references are Civil PEs, can the other two be Traffic PEs?

Next, I've heard some conflicting reports on what kinds of transportation engineering qualify for a Civil PE in California (example: Traffic Engineer experience does not qualify for Civil?). I've done capacity calculations and signal timing, as well as signage and striping plans based on the MUTCD...but that's traffic engineering, no? Would that experience not be eligible? If so, it seems like it might be best to leave it off completely. I could have more even trouble if geometric design work doesn't count.

Thanks for any insight that you can share. I am also happy to answer any clarifying questions!

I worked for 2.5 years where my manager was a Planner and all my engineering work was reviewed by a PE. I'd planned to use that engineer as a reference for that engagement. The problem is that I went to look up his license to fill out the application, and it says "LICENSE TYPE: TRAFFIC ENGINEERS." I'm not sure what the implications of this are - I know there is a Professional Traffic Engineer license in California, but does this mean that this person would not qualify as a reference for my Civil PE application?

No. Qualifying reference for a civil engineer application would be someone who is authorized to practice civil engineering. For reference: https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/pe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf Qualifying experience must be gained under someone licensed to practice in the discipline for which you are applying.

In regards to the example you provided related to traffic engineering, you need to ask yourself: Is a licensed PE (or civil engineer in CA) required to perform or supervise this activity? If so (and be realistic), then it could qualify. If not, then it will likely not qualify for civil engineering experience.

Civil engineers in CA is a practice act which means use of the title and the actual practice is regulated. Traffic Engineer license in CA is a title act which means that only the use the title is regulated. Anyone can practice traffic engineering in CA without a license.

I worked for 2.5 years where my manager was a Planner and all my engineering work was reviewed by a PE. I'd planned to use that engineer as a reference for that engagement. The problem is that I went to look up his license to fill out the application, and it says "LICENSE TYPE: TRAFFIC ENGINEERS." I'm not sure what the implications of this are - I know there is a Professional Traffic Engineer license in California, but does this mean that this person would not qualify as a reference for my Civil PE application?

No. Qualifying reference for a civil engineer application would be someone who is authorized to practice civil engineering. For reference: https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/pe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf Qualifying experience must be gained under someone licensed to practice in the discipline for which you are applying.

In regards to the example you provided related to traffic engineering, you need to ask yourself: Is a licensed PE (or civil engineer in CA) required to perform or supervise this activity? If so (and be realistic), then it could qualify. If not, then it will likely not qualify for civil engineering experience.

Civil engineers in CA is a practice act which means use of the title and the actual practice is regulated. Traffic Engineer license in CA is a title act which means that only the use the title is regulated. Anyone can practice traffic engineering in CA without a license.
Traffic is only a title. One cannot practice traffic without a PE. For example, an engineering and traffic study for a speed trap or signal warrant. These are required by the board to be a PE. Per cvc, a court may allow a traffic or PE to sign off on a ets. but if the board found out they a te signed off on a ets is within a different pervue

Traffic is only a title. One cannot practice traffic without a PE. For example, an engineering and traffic study for a speed trap or signal warrant. These are required by the board to be a PE. Per cvc, a court may allow a traffic or PE to sign off on a ets. but if the board found out they a te signed off on a ets is within a different pervue
Not exactly accurate. It is true that Traffic Engineer is a title act license which means that ONLY the use of the title "Traffic Engineer" is regulated. The actual practice is not regulated and anyone is allowed to practice traffic engineering in California as long as they do not refer to themselves as a "Traffic Engineer".

Not exactly accurate. It is true that Traffic Engineer is a title act license which means that ONLY the use of the title "Traffic Engineer" is regulated. The actual practice is not regulated and anyone is allowed to practice traffic engineering in California as long as they do not refer to themselves as a "Traffic Engineer".
Look up the CVC, for an engineering traffic survey and tell us what you read. Because it's pretty clear that not anyone can sign off one an engineering and traffic study.

Look up the CVC, for an engineering traffic survey and tell us what you read. Because it's pretty clear that not anyone can sign off one an engineering and traffic study.
Anyone is allowed to practice traffic engineering in California. "signing off of a traffic study" is dependent upon the entity receiving or requiring the study. Even then, it doesn't make the practice of traffic engineering prohibited to be performed by an unlicensed individual. California Vehicle Code does not have the authority to dictate who can practice a regulated profession in California.

Back