Calculators

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=18pt]DO NOT[/SIZE] under ANY circumstance use newcalc.com.

That website in addition to Stephen Bakin out of England/California is a SCAM.

If you need additional information

PM me.

[SIZE=18pt]DO NOT[/SIZE] under ANY circumstance use newcalc.com.
That website in addition to Stephen Bakin out of England/California is a SCAM.

If you need additional information

PM me.
I don't think websites are on the approved calculator list...

Used the TI-30X IIS on the PE (no results yet), and the cheapest four-function calculator that was in the grocery store for the FE (passed - and let me tell you, roots and logs on a four-function get interesting ;) but I was a cheap/broke college student so I made do).

I used the Casio FX-115ES for both.

FE - October 2007

PE - April 2010 (not eligible for licensure until May 2008)

PE - Texas Inst TI-30XIIS

how do people remember what dam calculator they used 10+ years ago on the FE I cannot understand, i can't remember what color underwear i put on each morning.

how do people remember what dam calculator they used 10+ years ago on the FE I cannot understand, i can't remember what color underwear i put on each morning.
Well if you still have it on your desk at work... :)

FE (2003) - TI 86

PE (2010) - TI 36x Solar

I would have preferred the 36X IIB... but you can only get that from TI's website and I didn't buy my PE calculator until a week before the exam.

I used an abacus and a slide rule because I am old school.
I think those who put too much stock in the calculators might as well have used an abacus and slide rule. :)

I heard going commando and wearing mismatched socks guarantees a pass!
only stormwater engineers have that kind of bravado!

That's true...we DO have the kind of bravado.

FE (2004) Casio fx115-es - passed in PA

PE (2010) HP 33s - still waiting for results in PA

I used the Casio Fx115ES. It was cheap, it got the job done (I passed). It had one annoying quirk that I could've probably changed in the settings. All and all it was a good calculator. It has replaced my graphing calculator as my day-to-day calculator.

I used the Casio Fx115ES. It was cheap, it got the job done (I passed). It had one annoying quirk that I could've probably changed in the settings. All and all it was a good calculator. It has replaced my graphing calculator as my day-to-day calculator.
Let me guess...

The fact that it always gives answers in fractions as opposed to decimals? I always have to hit a button to change that after each answer.

I remember the calculator I used in high school.

Bought a TI-85 in 10th grade. Used it until I upgraded to the TI-89 my freshman year of college (1998). That calculator is the best I've ever had, and my wife is using it now through grad school. I used it until August of 2007 when I started studying for my exam. Purchased the HP33s, and I've used it ever since. The only reason I use it is for quick and simple calcs. Any complicated or iterative calculation I use excel, because it's probably going on a calc sheet anyway.

Does that make me a dork? Probably not, I've got many other attributes to prove that.

I took the FE back in the day when you could use big TI calculators that solved definite integrals!

I took the PE Civil-Geotech, October 2010 with the TI-30XS, and believe I passed.

I'm not sure the calculator could have mattered much at all, so long as you're comfortable with finding powers, roots, and log/ln.

FE - April 2003 TI-89 passed

PE - April 2010 HP-35 failed

PE - October 2010 HP-35 ???

I like using the best calculator that you're allowed to bring in.

FE-PE w/ twin HP35s'

The solve function and rpn's 4 stack memory saved me at least half an hour on each exam.

FE - 2004 I think I used a TI something or other, I don't really remember.

PE - April 2010 - Casio fx-115es

PE - Oct 2010 - Casio fx-115es

High School: TI-30X IIS - Graduated

College: TI-30X IIS - Graduated

FE Exam (APR 2008): TI-30X IIS - Passed 1st time

PE Exam (OCT 2010): TI-30X IIS - still waiting for results..

Never needed any other calculator

Last edited by a moderator:
Back