Calculators

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a TI-36X and it worked great, I dont like the funky key stroke backwards notations of some of the other calculators although the HP's look pretty robust.

I used a TI-36X and it worked great, I dont like the funky key stroke backwards notations of some of the other calculators although the HP's look pretty robust.
TI-36X (FE)

Casio fx-115ES (PE)

I prefered the Casio, good display and has a solve function. Be sure you use it while studying so as to become familiar with it.

HP35S - PE 10/09 Pass

I would have liked to bring in my HP48 :)

The HP35S is a great calc with basic programming abilities which I used for linear interpolation. RPN all the way!

FE- HP 48

PE- HP 33, 35 Casio fx 115

Really like the RPN on the HP, but the solver on the Casio was easier to use than the new HP's

Last edited by a moderator:
FE - TI 30X-IIS - Passed first time.PE - hp 33s - Passed first time. I have to say that I absolutely LOVE RPN now that I've been using it for a while. When I first got the hp, I was a bit leery and constantly found myself messing up. It didn't take too long to realize the time saving ability of RPN though, and I committed to using it 100% in my studies and preparation for the exam, and now I don't like using "normal" calculators anymore. The nice thing about the hp (and I assume most RPN-capable calculators) is that there is always the option to turn RPN off if you don't like it.

I did the very same thing, I like my RPN now. Also, I bought a spare, and actually used it. Partway thru the afternoon test I somehow got the thing stuck in some sort of Programming Mode. It would not respond, but, i simply grabbed my other HP 33. Sold my spare to another Engineer here in the office.

By the way I shared a desk with a girl taking the Civil. She had been using a HP33 and RPN for about a month and was hatein' it. Study with the calc you plan to use. You really need that 3-6 months with it.

FE April 2001 - HP 48GX (I called her Lucy)

PE (EE Power) April 2006 - Casio FX-115ES (If you are going to take EE Power module this is the best one)

FE April 2001 - HP 48GX (I called her Lucy)PE (EE Power) April 2006 - Casio FX-115ES (If you are going to take EE Power module this is the best one)
PE (civil) April 09' CASIO fx-300

PE (civil) October 09' CASIO fx-300 CONFISCATED. You would think a rudimentary calculator bought at CVS would remain on the "approved" list between April and October. Nope. My fault as well for not checking the updated list. I cant even remember the calculator I ended up using, but I owe a lot to the nice young lady two tables over who loaned me one of her various backups (she brought a total of four). Hoping I passed!

i dont think the casio 300 was ever on the approved list - the list comes out november each year for the succeeding exam year. you got lucky somebody had that many spares

FE April 2001 - HP 48GX (I called her Lucy)PE (EE Power) April 2006 - Casio FX-115ES (If you are going to take EE Power module this is the best one)
PE (civil) April 09' CASIO fx-300

PE (civil) October 09' CASIO fx-300 CONFISCATED. You would think a rudimentary calculator bought at CVS would remain on the "approved" list between April and October. Nope. My fault as well for not checking the updated list. I cant even remember the calculator I ended up using, but I owe a lot to the nice young lady two tables over who loaned me one of her various backups (she brought a total of four). Hoping I passed!
I am surprised someone that worried about a calculator failure would be willing to give one up!

I used casio fx115ES for Oct '09 FE 1st time - passed

You can quickly convert from rectangular to polar on this bad boy which is very handy on electrical questions. I even use it now to replace the old TI I have been using for almost a decade.

FE: HP48GX

PE: HP35S

Both passed. Will now take a sledge hammer to HP35S -- speed is essential on the PE exam, you cannot be wasting time because you can't use the calculator. It took me 3 months of consistent usage to feel that I could use the HP35S reliably -- i.e. zero chance of operator error. Because of the larger stack on the HP48G, you can cross check your numbers, etc.

I even brought back up batteries, because I was so paranoid.

The exam should be on knowledge, not plug and chug skills.

End of vent.

TI-30X IIS on both FE and PE.

Use whatever calculator that you plan to use on the test at work a couple of months before the test so that you are familar with it.

I think a basic calculator would have worked for me and I took the civil/structural exam.

Apr. 2008 FE (Casio fx-115MS) - Failed

Oct. 2008 FE (Casio fx-115MS) - Passed

Oct. 2009 PE (Casio fx-115MS) - Failed

Apr. 2010 PE (Casio fx-115MS) - Failed

Oct. 2010 PE (Casio fx-115MS)

Last edited by a moderator:
FE (April 2006) - Casio fx-115ms (passed)

PE (April 2010) - Casio fx-115es and fx-115ms (Pending- feel good about it though)

I kept both the es and ms on my desk during the exam and ended up just grabbing one or another throughout the exam. I liked that the es has unit conversions but never really needed that function on the PE.

I used an abacus and a slide rule because I am old school.
I think those who put too much stock in the calculators might as well have used an abacus and slide rule. :)

I heard going commando and wearing mismatched socks guarantees a pass!

Back