Bring Back the Lunch Thread !!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah.  I thought you were in New Orleans or somewhere else in the boot.  I would've swung by and let you by me a beer or two. 

Today, a mix of sauteed kale, quinoa, chickpeas, edamame, roasted sweet potato, and microgreens with a lemon and tahini dressing.

I'm taking my staff to lunch today as a thank-you for a really hard year of work (our program fiscal year ends tomorrow).  We're going to a southern-style barbecue place that was featured on Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins.  Great food but I will probably gain a permanent 2-3 pounds just from this one meal.  

Leftover pesto pasta with veggies. From a quick dinner made last night after an amazing three days in Tahoe. Skiing on July 3rd!

I saw that on the news and wondered how much it took to get the lifts open and running again? I was always assuming that process involved a lot of inspection and "stuff" before they run them again?

If you had last years season pass did they honor them or make you buy one day lift tickets?

From what I've been told, those lifts are fired up and run periodically through the summer (if they don't already have summer traffic) just to keep everything lubricated and functional. Not really any different than putting a car in storage, just fire it up every few weeks and let it run for 30 minutes.

Not sure where Leggo was skiing, but at Heavenly a few of the lifts (and the gondola) operate all year.  They have ropes courses and giant zip lines and some other touristy stuff to do in the summer (and it's also a nice place to get engaged.)

Several of the resorts in CO offer summertime mountain biking courses, disc golf, and hiking trails in addition to keeping the hill-top restaurants open, so their "main" lifts run year round.  It's the upper/secondary lifts that tend to be closed for the year and need the periodic restarting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the news said squaw valley was open?

The ones I have been to in the summer have only 2 or 3 lifts open (winter park, keystone) mainly for biking activities.

We followed the story about the smaller resort (Granby Ranch) here where a woman and her kids fell off due to the lift "jerking" http://www.aspentimes.com/trending/rare-dynamic-event-cause-of-fatal-accident-on-ski-granby-ranch-chairlift/

Which was part of why I figured there was some sort  of yearly inspection process that happens before each season? We followed the story above because we ski'd at Winter Park ( a few miles next door)  the same day, so it was sort of freaky..

The Laws protect the ski resorts from lawsuits from almost any on mountain activity except for when you are on the lift.

I just figured it would take a lot of work to pull in a bunch of lifties to run the lifts and get a decent part of the mountain open, etc,  for one weekend..

Winter Park has 4 lifts open (checked the website) but they are counting the cabriolet from the parking lot to the resort (so really 3)- but one of those only does the alpine slide thing..

I think the news said squaw valley was open?
That's where I was! Yep, I'm pretty certain the lifts were just still open from the normal season this past winter.

I didn't have last season's season pass, so I bought I day pass. But, if you have this next year's pass, you could already ski for free. I would think they would honor last year's too, since, like I said, the lifts were still (continuously) running with slopes open. There were only really three lifts open (plus the tram), and only two of the three took you to actual runs. The tram, however, took you to the pool party! Which was also pretty epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headed over to McDowell's today for lunch...

4b08eef640385e9c72a5b30f396599db.jpg

Back