Board Software "update"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So on another forum I use, they use Invision and they have a menu button above the menu bar:

Screenshot_20200914-184334.png

It seems like there's whitespace for it here on EB, but for some reason it's missing.

EB looks weird to me on latest version of Chrome on my updated Macbook laptop...

The icons at the top of the screen don't show up properly:

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 11.10.45 AM.png

Also, the icons under people's usernames don't appear correctly:

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 11.12.33 AM.png

EB looks weird to me on latest version of Chrome on my updated Macbook laptop...

View attachment 18772

View attachment 18773
Have you tried clearing your browser cache? Sometimes that helps with image issues (on other web sites, I don't know for sure if it will work for EB)

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 18772

View attachment 18773
I have this same issue.

What I've noticed is that all the browsers that accessed EB before the update were fine for me, but the browsers that I never use (safari) didn't have the icons. I believe the icons were cached by the browsers I frequently used before the update, and the new browsers I tried cannot access the resources for the icons.

I also confirmed this by opening an "incognito" tab in chrome on a known good browser (where the icons were not missing) and the icons were not displayed. That's because incognito mode does not used cached resources.

Seems like clearing the cache would just lose any resources that were previously downloaded before the update and will not fix missing icons.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Road Guy I did some digging around and it appears some of the icons Invision is using are from font-awesome fonts. In the case below, this missing icon has the class fa-caret-down.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.49.44 PM.png

I checked the chrome console and confirmed the font-awesome fonts resource failed to download.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.50.07 PM.png

My first guess is that the fontawesome-webfont resource is https, and engineerboards.com is http. It could be an issue with cross-origin resources. Might be a question for IC support.

I've been using Chrome for EB access pretty much exclusively, either on my phone and my laptop. Now that I just went and checked on my phone, same issue there!

@Road Guy I did some digging around and it appears some of the icons Invision is using are from font-awesome fonts. In the case below, this missing icon has the class fa-caret-down.

View attachment 18774

I checked the chrome console and confirmed the font-awesome fonts resource failed to download.

View attachment 18775

My first guess is that the fontawesome-webfont resource is https, and engineerboards.com is http. It could be an issue with cross-origin resources. Might be a question for IC support.
Nice! @Road Guy come take a looksee!

Careful though, Chatt, RG might have you buying EB.com before you know it!

I had icons on my phone (when I switched to desktop version) after the update but I did notice over the weekend that icons where missing.

I don't really check EB much since the update on my phone since it's less mobile friendly. Which means I'm missing out and messing up in maf lol 

Ok thanks, submitting a help ticket!

Due to the "size" of the board (which I dont think its where it was 5 years ago) I cant even manage most of those settings myself, I have to submit a help ticket, some type of could platform.

Has anyone else tried the android app? does it still suck?

I don't really check EB much since the update on my phone since it's less mobile friendly. Which means I'm missing out and messing up in maf lol 
Ditto.  I don't feel like downloading an app just to go on EB (no matter how much I like just checking things out), and it's super clunky on the mobile version of the webpage that it's actually difficult to navigate.  I have to double click/tap a bunch to get through and then the word formatting is usually off.

Ditto.  I don't feel like downloading an app just to go on EB (no matter how much I like just checking things out), and it's super clunky on the mobile version of the webpage that it's actually difficult to navigate.  I have to double click/tap a bunch to get through and then the word formatting is usually off.
+1 on being anti-app

I just checked the app again and I still can't log in. 

It has a log in button:

Screenshot_20200922-084814.png

And when I click it, it takes me here:

Screenshot_20200922-084827.png

But then it just brings me back to the main page without signing me in.

so the menu is back on the mobile version - for some reason it does not like the top banner permanent ad placement I had there..

which seems really dumb!

Back