Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^truthfully never used one - are they that good? Usually seems like > two trips through that thickness of steel = disposable bit

Last edited by a moderator:
^truthfully never used one - are they that good? Usually seems like > two trips through that thickness of steel = disposable bit
I love them, and used them almost exclusively when doing automotive fab work. Reason being, a) they never walked much on me, B) no need for pilot holes, c) they are less apt to catch and hang up, especially when you break through, since the flute(s) don't really catch <-- this is a big one, believe me, when your arms are tired, and you're on a ladder with the handle of an 18v drill inches from your nose, d) they will deburr/chamfer the hole for you.

Yeah, i see those guys on Orange County choppers using them alot.

correction: richer than you'll (or I'll) ever be hacks :bawling:

So the choice is:

dignity and nobutt chin vs. megadollars.

I'll have to think about that and get back to you.

Buttchin can be covered up with a beard. I'm such a smartass I don't think I have much dignity left, just give me the cash...

^yeah true - its just drilling thru 1/4" steel overhead - not gonna be fun. have lots of spare drill bits on hand - how long a span is this Dan?
I dunno. This is all hypothetical since I haven't bought the house and don't have a stud wall layout even if I did buy it.

correction: richer than you'll (or I'll) ever be hacks :bawling:

At least I have my dignity. And I don't have a butt chin.
Oh yeah, well speak to the Hasselhoff!

^yeah true - its just drilling thru 1/4" steel overhead - not gonna be fun. have lots of spare drill bits on hand - how long a span is this Dan?
I dunno. This is all hypothetical since I haven't bought the house and don't have a stud wall layout even if I did buy it.
your quandry has grown tiresome - Next basement finishing question! (please let it be about pool tables or dart boards)

What about dart boards? I've got a Halex competition board set up in my living room!

HVAC went in yesterday! other than them being a little late it worked out good and I didnt lose any more ceiling height.

Hope to get enough of the plumbing done this weekend so that I can start putting some sheetrock down.. but right now I am the hold up in the critical path having to frame out the ceilings / soffits / etc....

well i spent most of the weekend working on a "test room" for the ceiling frameout, much more of a pain in the ass than I expected. I have a small backroom that I was able to tryout my mad framing skills on before getting to the larger rooms...

I found that 2X2's are just to flimsy to use so went with 2X4's. Also after digging through several bins of 2X4X14's at Home Depot and Lowes trying to find straight ones I ended up getting 2X4X8's and just nailing them together, it was incredibly impossible to find the longer lenghts straight enough to do the task. The 2X6X14's were straight enough but just not worth the hassle to carry around..

I bought one of those cheaper spinning laser levels (maybe the more expensive ones are better but it was very flimsy and I really dont think it was anymore accurate than just using a regular level and a tape measure) so I ended up just measuring down from the floor joists and using a 4' level. I must have spent several un-needed hours trying to get the bubble exactly perfect, then I went upstairs and laid the level on parts of my existing ceiling and realized that its not perfect either (& not noticeable) still trying to get it fairly "perfect" but I am probably going to wish I had subbed this out (but I need to save the money for extra bar features :D )

I hate starting a project because thats all I can think about is working on it and getting it finished, today at lunch I was pondering... hmm if I go home at lunch I can probably complete 2 or 3 more ceiling joists......

what i really dread is cutting out the holes for the electrical boxes and light fixtures, I always end up screwing those up....

Try a local lumber yard. I gave up entirely on Lowes/Home Cheapo when building a shed in my backyard in regards to straight lumber. It'll save a LOT of headache.

Back