April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the CERM will be updated for 2021? It hasn't been updated since 2018 and prior to that 2015... seems it will be on the horizon. I need a new CERM but don't want to drop the $$ for a 2018 one and then have the 2021 version come out the next day
I'm gonna guess no since it's going CBT and there will be a pdf used for the exam come April 22

Does anyone know if the CERM will be updated for 2021? It hasn't been updated since 2018 and prior to that 2015... seems it will be on the horizon. I need a new CERM but don't want to drop the $$ for a 2018 one and then have the 2021 version come out the next day
I'm not a Civil, so excuse the upcoming dumb questions:

Is the CERM used outside of the PE exam? Or is it mostly prepared for the PE?

Does NCEES produce it? Or is it a third party publisher?

If it's basically a PE-exam only book then it wouldn't make sense to produce a new one for the one-remaining P&P CE exam in October. I could see a sleezy third party publisher try to squeeze out a hardcopy out just to milk a few extra bucks out people.

NCEES will provide PDFs of any needed codes, references, and their discipline exam reference guide during the CBT exam.

thinking out loud here: If the CERM as-a-whole is just offered as a PDF during the CBT exam then maybe it makes sense to keep updating it.

Morning everyone, first I want to say congrats to all who passed its a great achievement and you should be proud. Next to those who didn't keep your head up, just because you didn't do it this time doesn't mean you're not a good engineer.

Next, I wanted to take the time to ask everyone a favor if you could. Please take the time to fill out your respective survey so I can gather some number on trends for people who passed and people who failed and if there's any sort of correlations.

Passing survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Passing Info

Fail survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Failed Info

I will post the live link to the results next week at some point when there's been a good amount of responses. The survey will officially end at the end of June so if you don't have the time to fill out your survey now you have more than enough time to do so later.

Thank you all again and best of luck to those who will be trying in October, you'll do great!
Found you in reddit and took survey 😁
Hooray for data collection

Good question I also want to know

If it's basically a PE-exam only book then it wouldn't make sense to produce a new one for the one-remaining P&P CE exam in October. I could see a sleezy third party publisher try to squeeze out a hardcopy out just to milk a few extra bucks out people.

NCEES will provide PDFs of any needed codes, references, and their discipline exam reference guide during the CBT exam.

thinking out loud here: If the CERM as-a-whole is just offered as a PDF during the CBT exam then maybe it makes sense to keep updating it.
I didn't use the CERM, though I did obtain an older pdf copy (14th ed) to look through while studying. Its a huge book that covers all topics for the Civil exams from WRE to Structural. It also includes review sections on algebra, calculus, geometry, etc. Its published by PPI2pass . com and is not related to NCEES that I know of.

Interestingly, I also have an older hard copy I was given by a retiring engineer. It is the 4th edition published in 1986. It is less than half the thickness of the current editions I saw folks with at the PE exam.

No dumb questions, here!

I feel like I will never in my life use the CERM once I pass this exam. But during the exam, I've found it useful to look up and solve extraneous problems that seem to come out of left field.

NCEES does not produce it. It's from PPI, and from what I remember every examinee that I've sat with for all 3 PE exams has had this book in either the 15th or current 16th edition.

I can understand using the PDF version for the upcoming CBT exam, but I don't want to purchase (or get for free) a PDF version of the CERM because I'll need it printed out for the exam in October.

I don't know what to do. Tempted to just get the printed current version and hope the 17th version isn't released between now and July/August...

EDIT to add: I've read in other threads on this forum that if you take EET then the CERM isn't super useful compared to the notes in the depth portion. I've got the 15th edition and wonder if the EET binders for the afternoon will be sufficient.

No dumb questions, here!

I feel like I will never in my life use the CERM once I pass this exam. But during the exam, I've found it useful to look up and solve extraneous problems that seem to come out of left field.

NCEES does not produce it. It's from PPI, and from what I remember every examinee that I've sat with for all 3 PE exams has had this book in either the 15th or current 16th edition.

I can understand using the PDF version for the upcoming CBT exam, but I don't want to purchase (or get for free) a PDF version of the CERM because I'll need it printed out for the exam in October.

I don't know what to do. Tempted to just get the printed current version and hope the 17th version isn't released between now and July/August...

EDIT to add: I've read in other threads on this forum that if you take EET then the CERM isn't super useful compared to the notes in the depth portion. I've got the 15th edition and wonder if the EET binders for the afternoon will be sufficient.
I don't know either what to do I have the CERM 2015 edition

if I were the IT in control of the NCEES web page and I was monitoring this and other forums.....I'd be adding little changes every now and then to stir up controversy and anticipation....culminating in Justin changing his expression to an evil grin...but that;s just me
I admit that this would be more fun than just sitting, brewing and speculating.

I admit that this would be more fun than just sitting, brewing and speculating.
You need to make a deal with NCEES that your facial expression changes on the dashboard based on where we are in the wait cycle.

Just took test- exhausted/wrecked expression
Two weeks after- kinda looking up in optimistic speculation

Etc

Day of results release- giant open-mouthed celebratory face with fists in the air

You need to make a deal with NCEES that your facial expression changes on the dashboard based on where we are in the wait cycle.

Just took test- exhausted/wrecked expression
Two weeks after- kinda looking up in optimistic speculation

Etc

Day of results release- giant open-mouthed celebratory face with fists in the air
or "Two-Face" grin and scowl

Back