April 2019 SE Results Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a survey and it says 'You will have a chance to submit comments at the end of this survey. If you have technical comments concerning exam questions, please submit those via the message feature in your MyNCEES account.'

Is that how we complain about the questions? I can't seem to find the message feature
I've already complained about it. The message feature is the popup at the bottom right of the MyNCEES screen. They are going to tell you to send your test comments to [email protected] .

I've already complained about it. The message feature is the popup at the bottom right of the MyNCEES screen. They are going to tell you to send your test comments to [email protected] .
I plan on using reverse psychology. My only comment will be that I love NCEES, and really enjoy taking their tests, and great job on their practice exam, it was so helpful. I want to be identified early on as a good person, and hopefully positively sway my results. I wonder if they like edible arrangements? Just brainstorming.

I plan on using reverse psychology. My only comment will be that I love NCEES, and really enjoy taking their tests, and great job on their practice exam, it was so helpful. I want to be identified early on as a good person, and hopefully positively sway my results. I wonder if they like edible arrangements? Just brainstorming.
Good luck with that. I have slowly grown to hate that organization as well as several state boards over the years. I do like dogs, though. Dogs are our friends.

Hey everyone! It's my birthmonth. I never thought I would make it this far (not many people did). I guess eating all those paint chips as a child really had people concerned about me. Anyway, you should all congratulate me on managing to become old and senile!

Hey everyone! It's my birthmonth. I never thought I would make it this far (not many people did). I guess eating all those paint chips as a child really had people concerned about me. Anyway, you should all congratulate me on managing to become old and senile!
Congrats old man

Well the whole system is screwed. This exam was meant for high seismic practitioners and designers of large complex structures. Georgia won't allow anyone to be licensed without this exam now. It was never MEANT to be that way. Silly Georgia.
So, to keep the fire going, I am also located in GA. I took the Mechanical-MDM exam (due to my educational background) but I work with both mechanical and structural projects. I'm hoping that further in the future that I may take the SE exam, but it sounds more and more like a headache than beneficial - but that was BEFORE you said Georgia requires the SE for licensure now. Do you know in regards to what area/level of practice the SE is required (ie. for hospital/school design, or any other specific structure in occupancy category IV or something like that)? Did you have to get your Civil PE before you took the SE (like in CA)?

So, to keep the fire going, I am also located in GA. I took the Mechanical-MDM exam (due to my educational background) but I work with both mechanical and structural projects. I'm hoping that further in the future that I may take the SE exam, but it sounds more and more like a headache than beneficial - but that was BEFORE you said Georgia requires the SE for licensure now. Do you know in regards to what area/level of practice the SE is required (ie. for hospital/school design, or any other specific structure in occupancy category IV or something like that)? Did you have to get your Civil PE before you took the SE (like in CA)?
I've had my PE for awhile but was licensed after January 1st, 2011. When I applied for reciprocity, I was denied. I received a letter for the reason of the denial stating that anyone licensed after January 1st, 2011 must take the new 16 hour SE exam if they design structures. To further confuse everything, I contacted the board to discuss this with them. From what I can tell, just about everyone there has no idea what the hell they are doing. The answer I was given was something along the lines of "The definition of structures is up to the board's discretion when reviewing your experience record." If you ever find out the the hell they define structures as, you're welcome to tell me. NSPE even filed a suit against the GA board over this. It's retarded. I moved over here a few years ago and I now absolutely hate almost everything to do with anything about licensure in this state. God, even getting my DL was a nightmare. Silly Georgia.

Last edited by a moderator:
And no, the PE is not required to take the SE. I thought the SE was meant to replace the state exams of the high seismic states. I was wrong apparently as I can piss with more force than Georgia earthquakes and it is now required here. Awesome.

I've had my PE for a while but was licensed after January 1st, 2011. When I applied for reciprocity, I was denied. I recieved a letter for the reason of the denial stating that anyone after January 1st, 2011 must take the new 16 hour SE exam if they design structures. To further confuse everything, I contacted the board to discuss this with them. From what I can tell, just about everyone there has no idea what the hell they are doing. The answer I was given was something along the lines of "The definition of structures is up to the boards discretion when reviewing your experience record." If you ever find out the the hell they define structures as, you're welcome to tell me. NSPE even filed a suit against the GA board over this. It's retarded. I moved over here a few years ago and I now absolutely hate almost everything to do with anything about licensure in this state. God, even getting my DL was a nightmare. Silly Georgia.

Yup, sounds like GA unfortunately. Guess I'll give them a call. Gonna have to bring some Georgia codes with me on this one. O.C.G.A. § 43-15-24 doesn't specify that an SE is required over a PE for any structure:

"(a)It shall be unlawful for this state or any of its political subdivisions such as a county, municipality, or school district, or agencies thereof, or for any private or commercial entity to engage in the construction of any work or structures involving professional engineering which by the nature of their function or existence could adversely affect or jeopardize the health, safety, or welfare of the public unless the plans and specifications have been prepared under the direct supervision or review of and bear the seal of, and the construction is executed under the direct supervision of or review by, a professional engineer or architect."

Even earlier in their code, O.C.G.A. § 43-15-2 vaguely states that "(9) 'Professional engineer' means an individual who is qualified, by reason of knowledge of mathematics, the physical sciences, and the principles by which mechanical properties of matter are made useful to mankind in structures and machines, acquired by professional education and practical experience, to engage in the practice of professional engineering and who possesses a current certificate of registration as a professional engineer issued by the board."

I know I've had a couple of issues with them clearing my experience because of my education. As you said, sounds like GA doesn't know what it wants. This will be an interesting phone call, to say the least...

I'll let you know how it goes.

You guys are boring today.
sorry FutureSE. The new Star Wars trailer came out friday, so I was otherwise occupied. I'm hoping that disney buys NCEES, and the SE test is revised to just be about movie trivia. 

Regarding anger and NCEES, yoda said it best: "...anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

sorry FutureSE. The new Star Wars trailer came out friday, so I was otherwise occupied. I'm hoping that disney buys NCEES, and the SE test is revised to just be about movie trivia. 

Regarding anger and NCEES, yoda said it best: "...anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Suffering can be good as long as it is my enemies that do so.

One week down, 11 to go
I was thinking results will be out by June 10... No?

Edit: Just asked Ashlei, she says the SE grading workshop is June 7-8.  So results should be out June 14 I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking results will be out by June 10... No?

Edit: Just asked Ashlei, she says the SE grading workshop is June 7-8.  So results should be out June 14 I would think.
The good news is that if I save 40$ a week from now until results come out, I will have just enough to pay to re-register for the october exam!

There are pros and cons to eating paint chips, just like anything else in life.

I was in your situtation, my ELFP "X" was higher that the dynamic "X". It's perfectly acceptable to be so, but that is NOT normal in practice. Just cross your fingers. I've already complained to NCEES about the wording of the problem. I don't know why they can't just directly ask what they are looking for rather than play the Bilbo Baggins game. "Guess what I have in my pocket!"
I took the exam 5 years ago so I guess I can talk freely about it.  Based on what I can gather in this discussion, it might have had something to do with ASCE 7-10 Section 12.9.4. 

I took the exam 5 years ago so I guess I can talk freely about it.  Based on what I can gather in this discussion, it might have had something to do with ASCE 7-10 Section 12.9.4. 
I believe that is the direction the question was heading. I also believe the wording was terrible. I've had issues with this exam in the past but I've also studied for the better part of 2 years and taken enough coursework to literally dream about seismic design. While I initially fell victim to the Dunning-Kruger effect, I've passed through the valley of ignorance and now I am certain that I understand the material explicitly as far as exam scope is concerned. If this problem were worded  as to give proper indication of the direction in which to proceed rather than being open ended and vague, the section you mentioned would likely have been my first choice. Based upon my comprehension and memory of the question, it picked up in the middle of an analysis and wasn't clear about methodology, starting point, previously taken steps, etc. Maybe my reading comprehension sucks, who knows. I'm a firm believer this exam should be reworked to more accurately represent engineering design. Popping into the middle of a problem with limited time and information while asking very pointed questions makes it more of a riddle than an engineering problem and makes the test unnecessarily difficult. Especially since EVERY engineer solves problems slightly differently, whether that be from systems used, methodology, or even the order of the solution.  When I am designing, I don't start in the middle of problems and try to solve backwards. I start the problem with specific design criteria in mind and have a clear workflow from beginning to end where every decision I make is calculated in order. I believe a major issue with the passing rate of this exam is not that people do not understand lateral, but the way the essay questions are presented is unlike ANYTHING a practicing engineer would see. I also HIGHLY doubt "Subject Matter Experts" are used to grade the exam. I personally know engineers, who've received invitations to grade past exams, who know next to nothing about seismic detailing. Maybe if NCEES were a bit more transparent, I would have more faith in their organization. A "Trust us, you didn't pass," does not sit well with me at all. I would not accept blindly believing something in any other facet of my life, but our licensing organization shoves it down our throats. While I have little authority to do so now, I intend to help right what I believe to be an injustice for future examinees.

Latest posts

Back