APRIL 2019 RESULTS - PE CIVIL - STRUCTURAL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear. Try and figure out your weak areas in both the tests. If they are more or less the same, spend ample time solving more problems in those knowledge areas. If they differ between the two tests, consider enrolling for an online course (EET is the best in my opinion) if you haven't already taken one. Also if you're comfortable with it, start a new thread and post your diagnostic reports. A lot of people will be willing to help out. 
Thank you for the comforting words.

The diagnostic report, I think doesnt represent anything.

The areas I did really good last time, are the ones I have scored less or even worse. I was sick on exam day last time. This time in fine fettle. 

It is not that I have suddenly less knowledge of that particular area. Like I got 5/5 on site development last time and this time it is 2/5.

5/7 on Hydrology last time and with literally solving everything in gosawami and lindberg  on this topic ended up with 4/7 this time. 

For structures depth under Load Applications I got 2/4 last time and 0/4 this time, I got 4/5 for Material Properties last time and this time 2/5. though I had prepared a hell lot on it.

I dont even remember what questions from which topic were the ones I got wrong. Like while doing a question you dont know how it will be classified later and to think this during test is useless as well. 

Also, right out of the exam I knew, even I had studied 30 days more I couldn't have done better. This April test was like that. 

The areas I did really good last time, are the ones I have scored less or even worse. I was sick on exam day last time. This time in fine fettle. 

It is not that I have suddenly less knowledge of that particular area. Like I got 5/5 on site development last time and this time it is 2/5.

5/7 on Hydrology last time and with literally solving everything in gosawami and lindberg  on this topic ended up with 4/7 this time. 

For structures depth under Load Applications I got 2/4 last time and 0/4 this time, I got 4/5 for Material Properties last time and this time 2/5. though I had prepared a hell lot on it.

I dont even remember what questions from which topic were the ones I got wrong. Like while doing a question you dont know how it will be classified later and to think this during test is useless as well. 

Also, right out of the exam I knew, even I had studied 30 days more I couldn't have done better. This April test was like that. 
I felt like I breezed through the morning with 30+ very confident answers.  Ended up with 24/40 on the morning.  Sucks so bad.

21/40 on the afternoon was on the low end of how I thought I did.

For those who will attempt again, my advice would be to maximize your output for the morning. School of PE lectures, notes and practice problems allowed me to do so. I'm 8 years out of graduation so I had forgotten most of the non-structural material.

As for the depth, my opinion is that no matter how hard you study it's touch to answer more than 20-25 with full confidence unless you have a VERY strong foundation in steel, concrete, materials, bridges, str analysis etc. Shoot for a 35 on the morning and 20 for afternoon and you'll be good.
This....Absolutely THIS!  Make sure you have a pretty good handle of stuff we did in college, and are able to navigate your reference material pretty easily for the morning.

For the afternoon, do the best you can do, and DO NOT kick yourself when you walk out.  There will be questions you'll think about in the weeks following, and give yourself grief about, because you'll notice your errors.  Don't let that get you down.

Above all, DO NOT LET A FAILURE DEFINE WHO YOU ARE AS AN ENGINEER!  You are more than your results.  Just because you don't know a little bit about EVERYTHING, doesn't mean you aren't a good engineer in your chosen field.  Take a break, then study and hit it again in October!  YOU'VE GOT THIS!

Cali, 1st try, pass.

Morning session was pretty easy, had time to do it twice just to make sure, afternoon was kinda hard for me and ended up educated-guessing on about 8.

Studied for 3 weeks including the test week,  used SOP for reference, did not take course.

The SOP materials I used covered somewhat deeper than than actual test in the morning but not deep enough for the afternoon.

Congrats to everyone who passed and best of luck to everyone who need to do this again, yall got this!

Last edited by a moderator:
So far highest unsuccessful score is 49.  Sorry to those that didn't make it... and thanks for reporting in
Highest reported fail in Civil-WRE this session was 54.

This may or may not be useful information in this thread, but the contribution to cut score from the AM portion is equal across all civil exams in a given session.

Passed civil structural first attempt. Took school of PE. They really helped for the morning. Felt confident for all 40. 

For afternoon, it took a while for me to settle down and start answering questions due to difficulty. It was hard. I answered about 25 with confidence, 10 educated guess and 5 outright guess. 

I’m 8 year years out of engineering school so SoPE helped a lot for morning. For afternoon, I design everyday at work so I only had to relearn about half the material. 
I felt the exact same way as Str. Entrepreneur.  School of PE will help you ACE the morning and this helps since I felt the afternoon to be difficult.  I felt like I got all 40 morning which then means you only need just under half of afternoon to pass. My two cents.

California PE Civil Structural Fail 

AM-31 PM-18 Total-49 

i took the school of PE on demand course. It really helped for morning session. I felt the afternoon exam questions were very tough and school of PE did not help much. 

Can anyone suggest a good review course and practice problems book for the structural depth? 

I took the exam last oct also but felt the questions in April for structural depth were way more tough ? 

Sorry to hear. Try and figure out your weak areas in both the tests. If they are more or less the same, spend ample time solving more problems in those knowledge areas. If they differ between the two tests, consider enrolling for an online course (EET is the best in my opinion) if you haven't already taken one. Also if you're comfortable with it, start a new thread and post your diagnostic reports. A lot of people will be willing to help out. 

Highest reported fail in Civil-WRE this session was 54.

This may or may not be useful information in this thread, but the contribution to cut score from the AM portion is equal across all civil exams in a given session.

NC, Passed.

For those that are thinking about taking a class next time around. I took EET Depth and Breadth and would Highly recommend at least the Breadth. I walked out of the morning portion feeling confident about 38 of the 40 questions.

Afternoon session was a different story, unfortunately because of  work I was unable to attend all of the sessions for the depth review. So I had to do a majority of the review on my own, reviewing the supplied material. So I'm unable to say how well the afternoon review prepared me for the exam. Out of the sessions I did watch, I found them to be helpful. There were a few of the practice problems supplied by EET that helped me in the exam. 

To say the least, those 38 questions in the morning probably saved my butt,. and I owe that all to EET. Yes its somewhat price, but its not the most expensive option AND they supply bound material. I would 100% refer anyone to EET.
Can you please share the website for registering at EET ? 

What is the duration of the course ? 

Can you please share the website for registering at EET ? 

What is the duration of the course ? 
http://www.eetusa.com/classes/civil-pe

They offer both Breadth and Depth Review. Follow the link and they'll have the schedule posted! They're based out of California, so times shown are West Coast Time. That was the most difficult thing for me, but if you miss a class you can always watch the recorded versions later. Stick with it, study and review material between classes and you'll pass!

To those that did not pass, good luck on next attempt and thank you for sharing your scores. I think the cut score was in the lower 50s, probably 51-52, because I haven’t seen a 50 failing score yet. It makes sense since the failing scores for afternoon are coming out in the teens and everyone agreed it was hard. 

Thoughts?

I write the following with full sincerity and wishing you well for your next attempt:

My analysis of your struggle in the exam is that you got caught in the NCEES trap and fell for the false positives on a number of problems. Many of the morning problems are designed to throw you on wrong line of thinking and reach the wrong answer included in the choices. 

My advice would be - which is what I did - is to budget your time such that you can review your work. To accomplish this, I took the first 5 min of the test to read every question and label in 1-3 difficulty. 1 would be a question you can answer without any reference, 2 would be one you’ll need to look it up but know more or less where to, and 3 would be something you’d have to study and answer. 

Then answer all the 1s, then 2s and finally the 3s.

This method boosts your confidence and prevents you from spending too much time on problems you’ll probably get wrong anyway even if you had an hour. Try this next time. 

well I was notified of my results at 8:11 AM PST but was so caught up in work (that I didnt want to open it then).

Waited till Wifey went to bed and opened it an hour ago.

passed first time!!

I can truly say the pass is all in the AM. I felt 100% confident on 35 and another 3 about 75% (thanks to EET).

EET depth didnt do me so well. Maybe helped me with 5-8 questions at most. Rest was just working knowledge. But I assure you Id be lucky if I got 22 on the PM.

I suggest taking EET breadth and just aiming for 20 on the depth and you will get the Green! Good luck guys.

Texas guys.. Please post your grades so that we can get an idea of cut scores.

Thanks.

So, is it not curious that the NCEES posting was like "Most results from the April 2019 pencil-and-paper PE exams have been released to NCEES member licensing boards. PE Structural exam results will be released as soon as they are finalized."

What was the hold up with the PE structural?? 

Or do they mean SE?  

I think they mean SE because they updated the civil structural pass rates for April 2019

Back