April 2018 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which references do you have now?
Sorry, I totally forgot about this board. I used Graffeo, Wildi, some other references from manufacturer websites and yes; I bought Complex Imaginary sample exams (All four in one book). Though, the exam is already written, I'm putting my reply for anyone writing the exam in future. Sorry @BirdGrave for the late reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I totally forgot about this board. I used Graffeo, Wildi, some other references from manufacturer websites and yes; I bought Complex Imaginary sample exams (All four in one book). Though, the exam is already written, I put my reply for anyone writing the exam in future. Sorry @BirdGrave for the late reply.
No prob.  I largely had the same stuff.

My suggestion for future candidates is not to rely on 70-80% in your practice tests even. The actual exam is pretty tough and 20-25% questions are totally unknown to most of the examinees. I would suggest you guys not to take it easy up to the last minute even. I was getting 85-90% in practice tests (Complex Imaginary and NCEES reference) and even i was totally surprised with the complexity of the actual exam. I didn't have any clue for some of the questions (to be honest) and that is very common as most of people say! Some questions in actual test are very complex in nature and difficult to understand even except until you would have actually encountered those in the real world. I would suggest not to stress yourself about those questions and do a lot of practice/study for 70-75% of the remaining portion. This was my second time; first time, I took it very easy and in fact went blindly to the exam considering the sample exams are bit easy and i will make it for sure. I lost it! This time, I went with 3-4 months of serious effort and expect positive hopefully. Fingers cross :rolleyes:     

OK people, I am sure most of you are in a similar situation regarding the anxiety and emotional status after the exam.

The build up to the exam increases in intensity until your mind is so engrossed with it you can possibly think of anything else but kicking ass or failing miserably. Only extremes at this point!

You put the pencil down at the last second of the test and there comes some sort of relief in its own twisted way. I have fought in a cage, completed 8 hour obstacle course races yet I have never felt as worn out as I did when leaving this test. You tell yourself its done, your wife tells you, your friends and family congratulate you for just completing it, however you just cant let it go. Something about the whole experience keeps clawing at you to revisit these problems in your head and convince you that you got every question wrong!! There feels some sort of emptiness at night when usually I would be studying with a cup of ginger tea and a cat on my lap. I hate ginger tea now because I reminds me of synchronous machines and the NEC book.

Its now almost 2 weeks and the anxiety has taken a back seat to enjoying my son, video games, working out and hanging with family and friends. There still in not a day that goes by that I don't think about what the result will bring. I feel positive about the results, but I would not be totally surprised if I see a Fail next month. (70/30) pass maybe (60/40) to be conservative.

Luckily the winter has been extra long and I can now get some much needed yard work complete. Good luck to all with getting through this next month's wait and especially passing this beast of a test!

Please share your story to pass some time and make us laugh a bit.

OK people, I am sure most of you are in a similar situation regarding the anxiety and emotional status after the exam.

The build up to the exam increases in intensity until your mind is so engrossed with it you can possibly think of anything else but kicking ass or failing miserably. Only extremes at this point!

You put the pencil down at the last second of the test and there comes some sort of relief in its own twisted way. I have fought in a cage, completed 8 hour obstacle course races yet I have never felt as worn out as I did when leaving this test. You tell yourself its done, your wife tells you, your friends and family congratulate you for just completing it, however you just cant let it go. Something about the whole experience keeps clawing at you to revisit these problems in your head and convince you that you got every question wrong!! There feels some sort of emptiness at night when usually I would be studying with a cup of ginger tea and a cat on my lap. I hate ginger tea now because I reminds me of synchronous machines and the NEC book.

Its now almost 2 weeks and the anxiety has taken a back seat to enjoying my son, video games, working out and hanging with family and friends. There still in not a day that goes by that I don't think about what the result will bring. I feel positive about the results, but I would not be totally surprised if I see a Fail next month. (70/30) pass maybe (60/40) to be conservative.

Luckily the winter has been extra long and I can now get some much needed yard work complete. Good luck to all with getting through this next month's wait and especially passing this beast of a test!

Please share your story to pass some time and make us laugh a bit.

I want to thank EB and its members for providing the means and motivation to finally pass the Power PE exam.  It took 4 attempts (3 official, 1 tossed) to finally see "PASS" on NCEES.  The resources, advice, and pep talk helped me keep my eye on the prize even when I felt like calling it quits on numerous occasions.  I am now a supporting member because I sincerely believe that this forum is well worth the small donation and more.  Thanks again!!

I passed the Exam!! Cant explain how good it feels  :D :D

I am really happy to have stumbled upon this forum. Thank you guys!!

Yup. The exams I took were:

1x 2011 Ncees practice exam in Jan 

1x Graffeo

5x Spin Up

2x Camara/PPI practice exams

4x Complex Imaginary

1x Engineering Pro Guides full exam

.5x 45-problems in Eng Pro Guide tech study guide

1x Camara/PPI practice problems book

1x 2018 NCEES practice exam on Weds 

I’m awake.   WIDE AWAKE! Can’t remember the last time I was so awake on the first alarm. No snooze button this morning  haha Jumping in shower now. 

Good luck all! May our pencils carry us all to victory!!! :)

-Jay
Holy macaroni! This. This is how to prepare.

I’m surprised that the ‘cut score’ discussion has not been initiated. This exam has been the most quietest since I started following EB years ago.

I’m surprised that the ‘cut score’ discussion has not been initiated. This exam has been the most quietest since I started following EB years ago.
Oh it has. Do a key word search for it and you'll find about a dozen threads already discussing it. :thumbs:

Oh it has. Do a key word search for it and you'll find about a dozen threads already discussing it. :thumbs:
@Baconator said in a different thread that the cut score was 57.. But maybe he was talking about the pass rate because that's what it ended up being..? Who knows 

Hey from MSP,

Does anyone know where to start preparing for Power exam. What reference should i buy and where can i buy it most economically? Any suggestions, took exam before and failed; took it easy and didn't have a lot of reference material.
Hey! Responding here for anyone reading this now who is looking for an answer still! I wrote up my thoughts on each reference I used, and whether it was valuable/worth it. All that info is located here, and I also have a video's page on that site that lists all the videos I used while studying.

Back