April 2018 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BirdGrave

Well last year was hectic to say the least. Got married, working on some big projects, truck got stolen, etc.

So for this round I would say things have been more focused.

Examples:

1. Actually completed Graffeo cover to cover
  2. Completed the following practice exams

PP1 Practice exam 1 and 2
  3. New NCEES exam with new problems
  4. Kaplan Practice Exam
  5. Graffeo Practice Exam

[*]Actually went back and redid the problems I got wrong to strengthen my weaknesses.

Unlike my previous attempt it wasn't so much of a cram session as personal development. 

But, you never know what the exam could throw your way... so I continue to say my prayers, cross my fingers, knock on wood, kiss the sky, and if I could find a rabbit it'd be his unlucky day. :p

What about you?
This is my first time taking it.  I also have read Graffeo all the way through.  Additionally I took the School of PE power course and read the entirety of the notes, tabbing subject matter as I went along.  As far as practice tests are concerned I've done both the most recent and previous NCEES exams, the Engineeringproguide exam, the Graffeo exam, all 4 Complex Imaginary exams, and then some randomly generated exams from that power PE exam website, but I can't speak for the usefulness of those.

I tried reading through and tabbing the Wildi book, and while it has a lot of great information it is so dense and difficult to tab and keep track of subject matter that I worry about how useful it will be to me during the exam.  You could probably speak to that better than I could though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.
You will find the 2015 NFPA-70E version online. 

The Power specification only specifies an edition for NEC, so my thinking is, the 2015 version will be good enough for the exam.

Also, the below article talks about the changes made in the 2018 version.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/safety/whats-new-whats-changed-2018-nfpa-70e-update

probably you could print it out if you are also using the 2015 version. 
I actually currently have the 2018 copy of the 70E.  The reason I ask is because in the latest NCEES Practice Test the NFPA-70E related question (forgive me, I don't have the question number with me) cites a correct answer from a table, I believe Table 130.4, that is not the number given in the 2018 copy of 70E, but the number found in the 2018 70E table *is* one of the incorrect answers in the multiple choice selection for the question.  This has me a bit concerned that maybe they're working off of the 2015 book and looking to trip up anyone who has the 2018 copy.  

I actually currently have the 2018 copy of the 70E.  The reason I ask is because in the latest NCEES Practice Test the NFPA-70E related question (forgive me, I don't have the question number with me) cites a correct answer from a table, I believe Table 130.4, that is not the number given in the 2018 copy of 70E, but the number found in the 2018 70E table *is* one of the incorrect answers in the multiple choice selection for the question.  This has me a bit concerned that maybe they're working off of the 2015 book and looking to trip up anyone who has the 2018 copy.  
I was concerned about this too. I suspect that instead, they will put questions from the 2018 book on the exam, or make certain to deconflict questions so they don't penalize you for having the current edition. I think they wrote that question before the '18 edition came out.

But, just in case, I wrote down the approach distances from the '15 edition. If the same question appears, it will say which edition it wants us to go by, and I'll be ready either way... if it's an approach distance, that is.

I'm bringing the 2018 NFPA 70E since that's what I have for free at work. My understanding was when the bump up to the latest NEC they also bump up to the latest other references. But there probably arent many differences. I'd imagine they might have an arc flash calculation for example and the formula should be the same.  ;)

This is my first time taking it.  I also have read Graffeo all the way through.  Additionally I took the School of PE power course and read the entirety of the notes, tabbing subject matter as I went along.  As far as practice tests are concerned I've done both the most recent and previous NCEES exams, the Engineeringproguide exam, the Graffeo exam, all 4 Complex Imaginary exams, and then some randomly generated exams from that power PE exam website, but I can't speak for the usefulness of those.

I tried reading through and tabbing the Wildi book, and while it has a lot of great information it is so dense and difficult to tab and keep track of subject matter that I worry about how useful it will be to me during the exam.  You could probably speak to that better than I could though.
@BirdGrave

Tabbing for me was the best part of my review.   

I tabbed the following :
2018 NEC with NEC tabs
Graffeo per the table of contents (Upset with how narrow the index is)
PPI Camera Reference manual
My own equation binder I made using the most common equations.

My first go around I used PPI reference manual, NEC, and my equation binder were most useful.

@BirdGrave

Tabbing for me was the best part of my review.   

I tabbed the following :
2018 NEC with NEC tabs
Graffeo per the table of contents (Upset with how narrow the index is)
PPI Camera Reference manual
My own equation binder I made using the most common equations.

My first go around I used PPI reference manual, NEC, and my equation binder were most useful.

If I may inquire, what was your score the first time around?  Even with your hectic personal life it seems like you prepared very well, and I can't imagine you came short of passing by more than a question or two, which must be very frustrating.

@BirdGrave

Thanks man. I appreciate that!   Trust me when I say last year was the busiest year of my life.  

That said, I scored a 49/80. From the report generated from the Oct. 2018 test, I think I was about 4 questions shy of passing.  

By the way.... t-minus 1 day and counting. 

@BirdGrave

Thanks man. I appreciate that!   Trust me when I say last year was the busiest year of my life.  

That said, I scored a 49/80. From the report generated from the Oct. 2018 test, I think I was about 4 questions shy of passing.  

By the way.... t-minus 1 day and counting. 
I keep staring at the clock.  I feel like there are last minute things I should be doing, but I can't think of anything that would be overly beneficial.  

Out of curiosity, did you tab Wildi?  I feel like I should spend the evening trying to get that done, but when I began previously I found the book just too big for me to tab all the specific subjects and have it not be self-defeating.

FYI I just received a response from NCEES and tomorrow's test will use the 2015 version of 70E.  This thread was making me nervous because I only have the 2015 version so I emailed them yesterday morning.

FYI I just received a response from NCEES and tomorrow's test will use the 2015 version of 70E.  This thread was making me nervous because I only have the 2015 version so I emailed them yesterday morning.
Crap, I guess I get to hope that outside of the approach distances that not much has changed between 2015 and 2018.  Or that other questions won't have the correct answer from 2018 as a wrong choice in the multiple choice selection.

Since approach boundaries have changed somewhat I searched out an online link of 2015 data.  For anyone who needs it.

https://www.powerstudies.com/sites/www.powerstudies.com/files/NFPA 70E-2015 Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries Poster_0.pdf

If someone has a more complete set of the 2015 data feel free to share.  I know I'll be appreciative :).

I keep staring at the clock.  I feel like there are last minute things I should be doing, but I can't think of anything that would be overly beneficial.  

Out of curiosity, did you tab Wildi?  I feel like I should spend the evening trying to get that done, but when I began previously I found the book just too big for me to tab all the specific subjects and have it not be self-defeating.
@BirdGrave...  I have not tabbed Wildi. I haven't even worked with it to be honest so I'm not sure what all it covers.

I had a similar feeling to the PPI reference manual, which I'm uncertain how it compares, but for me I just went through and tabbed the specific topics I referenced most down the side and I tabbed the begginnings to each major section (Circuit Analysis, Generation, Distribution, etc.) along the bottom.

By the way I'm having the same feelings as you.  Getting ancy.  I'm gonna go to the mall and blow some money to cope.  :p  

Good luck test takers! Although it's easier said than done, it's time to start packing it in and clear your mind for a reset and refresh such that you are sharp and ready to hit the test head on to do your best. If you continue to stress and think about little things surrounding the exam, you're likely to experience mental fatigue. You have all put forth a substantial amount of effort in studying for this exam. Time to take your mind off things and prepare for exam day. If you don't know it by now, you're not likely to learn it in the next 24 hours or so. :thumbs:

BTW, if anyone is interested, I can share a very entertaining post-exam recap (power specific) from a previous examinee to help clear the air with a bit of humor.

For future reference:

"We adopt a code the year after it is dated. As such we will begin using the 2018 NFPA 70E with the April 2019 PE exam.  To be clear the 2018 PE Power exam will use the 2015 NFPA 70E."

Crap, I guess I get to hope that outside of the approach distances that not much has changed between 2015 and 2018.  Or that other questions won't have the correct answer from 2018 as a wrong choice in the multiple choice selection.

Since approach boundaries have changed somewhat I searched out an online link of 2015 data.  For anyone who needs it.

https://www.powerstudies.com/sites/www.powerstudies.com/files/NFPA 70E-2015 Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries Poster_0.pdf

If someone has a more complete set of the 2015 data feel free to share.  I know I'll be appreciative :).

For future reference:

"We adopt a code the year after it is dated. As such we will begin using the 2018 NFPA 70E with the April 2019 PE exam.  To be clear the 2018 PE Power exam will use the 2015 NFPA 70E."
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!

Thank you for verifying. Note to ALL: I just compared that PDF of 2015 approach distances with the table in my 2018 NFPA 70E and THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. I will be printing and bringing that PDF to replace whats in my 2018 70E. The test should specify which year book in the question.

Differences:

Restricted Approach boundary:

15.1 kV to 36 kV: (2015: 2'7")(2018: 2'9") NOTE: Both of these were choices on the 2018 NCEES practice exam #135! The 2015 was the correct choice.

46.1 kV to 72.5 kV (2015: 3'3")(2018: 3'6")

72.6 kV to 121 kV (2015: 3'4")(2018: 3'6")

500 kV to 550 kV (2015: 11'10")(2018: 11'8")

Good last minute save to know this. I got #135 wrong on the practice exam because of this difference! If you have a 2018 70E print that PDF from 2015! It looks like you WILL NEED IT!

Good luck to us all!

-Jay

SFGGF

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!

Thank you for verifying. Note to ALL: I just compared that PDF of 2015 approach distances with the table in my 2018 NFPA 70E and THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. I will be printing and bringing that PDF to replace whats in my 2018 70E. The test should specify which year book in the question.

Differences:

Restricted Approach boundary:

15.1 kV to 36 kV: (2015: 2'7")(2018: 2'9") NOTE: Both of these were choices on the 2018 NCEES practice exam #135! The 2015 was the correct choice.

46.1 kV to 72.5 kV (2015: 3'3")(2018: 3'6")

72.6 kV to 121 kV (2015: 3'4")(2018: 3'6")

500 kV to 550 kV (2015: 11'10")(2018: 11'8")

Good last minute save to know this. I got #135 wrong on the practice exam because of this difference! If you have a 2018 70E print that PDF from 2015! It looks like you WILL NEED IT!

Good luck to us all!

-Jay

SFGGF
I'm actually kind of annoyed that what would be in practice the correct answer would, in theory, be counted wrong for the exam if say #135 was on the actual exam, but it's their test and they make the rules.  I think the biggest issue I have with it is that the question just says "NFPA 70E" and doesn't specify an edition.  I would hope that a circumstance like this is reasonable grounds to consider throwing a question out.

Hi TWJ PE, I'm taking the School of PE Power course as well (my last lecture video is tonight!).

May I ask, along with the School of PE notes what resources did you find most helpful during the exam?
School of PE notes I thought were pretty good. That and Graffeo were my go to (you can search and see all my references). Obviously, NEC, NESC, and 70E are a must too.

I'm actually kind of annoyed that what would be in practice the correct answer would, in theory, be counted wrong for the exam if say #135 was on the actual exam, but it's their test and they make the rules.  I think the biggest issue I have with it is that the question just says "NFPA 70E" and doesn't specify an edition.  I would hope that a circumstance like this is reasonable grounds to consider throwing a question out.
Agreed. Very frustrating. I got it wrong on the practice exam because I choose 2'7" because that's what it said in my 2018 70E code book and that's all I had. I have now printed that 2015 table I will bring that and my 2018 70E book and read any questions very carefully. Hopefully the real exam tomorrow will specify the year, like they did in the practice exam. The 2018 NCEES Practice Exam does indeed specify the edition year in question #135: "In accordance with the 2015 edition of the NFPA 70E, the approach boundary for...", so at least it's not ambiguous. Having both the 2018 and 2015 correct answers both shown as options does seem a little wrong to me. Hopefully they dont have other questions that are changes because I dont have the whole 2015 edition. :(

Latest posts

Back