A simple way to improve education

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I saw this editorial in The State yesterday, and thought it pretty much hit the nail on the head.

http://www.thestate.com/editorial-columns/story/912969.html

A new school year is beginning, and as students (and teachers) at all levels return to the classroom, a debate resumes over how best to assure the outcomes everyone wants from our educational system. So widespread is the concern for education that this month has seen no stranger bedfellows than Newt Gingrich and the Rev. Al Sharpton coming together to support a new charter school proposal.
Some perspective always is helpful. The alarm over public education in the United States now is more than 50 years old. We have seen a gamut of proposed solutions. We have increased spending. We have reduced spending. We have seen proposals for voucher systems, and charter schools have been established. Always the aims remain the same: “accountability in the classroom” and, from both Republicans and Democrats, the determination to help students escape from “failing schools.”

Because I teach at a university, I have a luxury unavailable to my colleagues who teach K-12: No law compels my students to be in school — they have chosen it. Still, the lack of motivation I see routinely would surprise most people. I sometimes ask my classes two questions. First: How many of you think I should be held accountable as your teacher to be sure that you learn? Every hand rises. Second: How many of you completed the reading for today’s class? Perhaps two or three hands remain up. I suggest that if this rather glaring disconnect between what students expect and what work they are willing to do exists so perniciously in a university, where no one is required to attend, the problem must be far greater at the K-12 level.

I mean to say this: Solutions to the crisis in education — a crisis whose existence I do not dispute — inevitably focus on the failures of teachers and schools, and we have seen many proposed solutions come and go. I do not dispute, either, that there are bad teachers and bad schools. Yet experience tells me that teachers do not enter their profession because of the great wealth and social prestige it offers. Instead, most teachers genuinely want their students to succeed, and work hard to try to help them while enduring the many sacrifices that a career in education demands. The massive failures we see in education are not because of a lack of teacher effort or dedication. They come from someplace else.

There are several studies I would recommend to anyone’s attention. One of the most sobering, conducted by the National Endowment for the Arts, tells us that 65 percent of college students read for pleasure less than one hour per week. My experience does not suggest that the reason is that they are reading for class. Instead, I know from interactions with students that very few young people enjoy reading. And if college students are reading less than one hour per week, it would be fair to assume that non-college students probably read less still.

The arguments Mr. Gingrich and Rev. Sharpton are using can tell us something. They focus on education as a key to economic opportunity, as well as on the need for a well-trained workforce. This sort of focus actually is part of the problem. It places emphasis not on learning but on the usefulness of learning. Of course learning is useful. Yet we should not be surprised when students cannot be motivated by far-off prospects of future wealth or American competitiveness. We must recover, instead, a sense that learning itself is the goal. And that begins at home.

There are very serious problems in public education. But before we gather ’round to flog the teachers again, I wish to propose a constructive and inexpensive alternative to American parents: Take away the cell phones and video game systems. Turn off the television. Read to your young children, and encourage your older children to read. Be an example for your children, in your own life, that learning is valuable and fun.

Trust me. The teachers can take it from there.

same reason everyone makes the little league team and why scores aren't kept. seriously these kids need to learn disappointment as part of life.
Try telling that to the Japanese team after a loss to Curacao last night!

same reason everyone makes the little league team and why scores aren't kept. seriously these kids need to learn disappointment as part of life.
That's quite true. Learning to cope with failure and disappointment is pretty darn important.

I propose we go back to the old way where if you do the work you succeed and if you don't you fail. Its certainly more natural. Our declining indoctrination standards give us kids who can't do basic math without a calculator. I sat in a chemistry class and the professor asked us to do a simple problem requiring the multiplication of 17x0.1, the entire class in unison produced calculators to solve the problem.

Not everyone can be an astronaut when they grow up (including me).

Hey now...this is radical thinking, expecting me as a parent to be responsible for my child. It's all society's fault and I'm not going to get involved.

Yes, it is a pointless argument to make since no politician will stick their neck out for such a radical idea.

Just took my 5YO to her first day of Kindergarden this morning... So, what you're saying is if she isn't successful, that I can blame it on the school? Awesome, no responsibility on my part as a parent!

Now I have to go get some doritos that I can eat while watching Jerry Springer so I can get a handle on reality.

Should I just take 1/2 day vacation or sit at home and take the afternoon of as well? Man, work / school sucks. Wish I could convince my boss that if I don't do well on a project that it's his fault.

Parental responsibility seems to be a thing of the past, unfortunately. Parents are no longer expected to participate in a child's education in reading, writing, 'rithmatic, manners, basic economics, financial responsibility, ethics, commitment, etc.

Hey now...this is radical thinking, expecting me as a parent to be responsible for my child. It's all society's fault and I'm not going to get involved.
You left the part out where the govt needs to pay for them as well .... :p

Now I have to go get some doritos that I can eat while watching Jerry Springer so I can get a handle on reality.
But .. can you be as awsome as .... Diamond Dave and his ninjie/judie chops!!

Should I just take 1/2 day vacation or sit at home and take the afternoon of as well? Man, work / school sucks. Wish I could convince my boss that if I don't do well on a project that it's his fault.
You just need to work on your jedi mind trick ... this really isn't the cover sheet for the TPS report that you were looking for .....

Parental responsibility seems to be a thing of the past, unfortunately. Parents are no longer expected to participate in a child's education in reading, writing, 'rithmatic, manners, basic economics, financial responsibility, ethics, commitment, etc.
That reminds me of one of my favorite Rall Political Cartoons as of late ...

Yes .. there is so much that we could do ... but we probably just won't ....

JR

being the son of a 7th grade math teacher, I'm preparing myself for another year of my mom saying "I can't believe these kids can't multiply" or "One kid actually asked me what I meant when I said 'fraction'"...

I think some of the problem lies partly with the "No Child Left Behind" Act... some with teachers... but mostly with parents... In an age where the bell curve rules or grades get thrown out entirely, kids who need help, get ignored... the standout kids get pushed back... everyone is "equal"... All people are not equal (we all deserve the same rights/etc)... In this world you have people that are naturally better at English, Math, or Science,etc... And within that group that is better at Math, you have people that are great, good, etc.... everyone is different... we all learn differently... we all think differently...

My mom was required to start a blog so her students and students' parents could follow everything in the classroom... With as much technology at they push at these kids, no wonder they don't know how to divide or multiply... Esp. when you're handed a Ti-87 at birth.... and a palm pilot in the classroom... and a blackberry to text your friends.... and... and... and...

This kinda makes me wonder...does a kid today even really need to know math by hand? I mean, the average kid? How many people do you know that actually do math by hand anymore? I know I do, but you have to admit that engineers have had a LOT of math. When my dad went to high school there were two tracks to follow- the vocational track or the college track. He went college just because he wanted to learn the math, English, etc. but the kids who had no intention of going had the option for other classes.

Of course, I can type that and easily think back to a day when the cash register at a store I was at went down. The kid had a calculator to do the math, but it blew his mind to figure out tax and totals. I had to help him along, because the computer on the cash register did everything for him. I practically applaud anymore when someone counts my change back and I wax poetic, like I grew up in a log cabin or something. I'm not that old, but my jobs required me to count back change. It's not that hard. Expectations are a lot lower for each successive generation.

^^ She means a loan to help her succeed.
Actually .. she means a stimulus for the rest of us!!! :D

This kinda makes me wonder...does a kid today even really need to know math by hand? I mean, the average kid? How many people do you know that actually do math by hand anymore? I know I do, but you have to admit that engineers have had a LOT of math. When my dad went to high school there were two tracks to follow- the vocational track or the college track. He went college just because he wanted to learn the math, English, etc. but the kids who had no intention of going had the option for other classes.
I would say unequivocal yes ... yes they need to know how to do math by hand. Not just because math by hand is an exercise for the mind but what does doing math on a calculator mean ... it is almost like using a magic 8-ball and 'hoping' for the right answer.

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be - to what degree does an individual need to take math classes? Should it stop at algebra? Should arithmetic and some problem solving be sufficient? I don't really have an answer there ... except to say it should not be mandated by the DOE; individual teachers should hold that responsibility. They are educated and licensed by state - the ultimate decision for minimum standards should rest with THEIR decision. If parents want their children to learn/know more, that becomes part of PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Of course, I can type that and easily think back to a day when the cash register at a store I was at went down. The kid had a calculator to do the math, but it blew his mind to figure out tax and totals. I had to help him along, because the computer on the cash register did everything for him. I practically applaud anymore when someone counts my change back and I wax poetic, like I grew up in a log cabin or something. I'm not that old, but my jobs required me to count back change. It's not that hard. Expectations are a lot lower for each successive generation.
I don't lament that there are individuals who fall into that category .. what bothers me is that there is almost an entire generation that falls into that category!! :eek:hmy:

JR

^Disagree. There has to be some minimum requirements that apply to everyone, or else a High School Diploma loses its meaning. Teachers should follow a curriculum, and that curriculum should be approved by an accrediting body, just like our precious engineering degrees.

Frankly, a high school degree is adequate for most people in life. i personally do not think we should "expect" everyone to go on to college, unless they are going for a more advanced job. I look back at my HS education and I am impressed - I learned a lot of stuff that has stuck with me. Then again, I was one of the few who did their homework and reading.

Anyhow, I think he makes a good point, but it's a lot bigger problem than just the parents. Society itself has changed so much that it's almost impossible to escape the distracting techno-gadgets he blames for the lack of attention the kids pay. To reject that would be to reject capitalism and the American way. And we can't do that. Can we?

:mf_Flush:

We could switch to a European system (everything is better in Europe after all) and form a top-down network establishing standards, books, curriculum etc for the entire nation. Kids in Brooklyn will use the same books and tests as kids in Wasilla.

For most people algebra should be sufficient. Calculating interest rates and the like is the highest form of math most my friends and family use in their daily lives (the math-phobic types). Everyone ought to know long division and multiplication. The four operands in addition to algebraic methods should also be known.

I do have to agree with the article, I see little to no evidence correlating wealth to education. If such were the case we could simply save us time and effort and simply reward the lion's share of the wealth to those holding PhD degrees.

Back