2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My generation grew up dreaming of killing Russians, even the targets we had in the Army were called "Little Ivans"

But everyone should see this movie (dont waste time with the Chaing Tatum remake) nor the Footloose Remake (or really any remake)

My generation grew up dreaming of killing Russians, even the targets we had in the Army were called "Little Ivans"

But everyone should see this movie (dont waste time with the Chaing Tatum remake) nor the Footloose Remake (or really any remake)
I don't even know what movie this is. 

Because we live here!

This will also be me if they try and make this quarantine go into the summer... I even saw a step side truck like that the other day...

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_inline_p3tpje1Yei1tp31xn_400.gif

I’ve never seen Red Dawn.  Might have to see if it’s on Netflix 

Apparently this current pandemic has been in the planning stages for years.  Listen to Dr. Anthony Fauci talk about it here.  It's not such a surprise now.

57 minutes ago, Exengineer said:

Apparently this current pandemic has been in the planning stages for years.  Listen to Dr. Anthony Fauci talk about it here.  It's not such a surprise now.

This is what all infectious disease experts always say... every year.

And they are always right. There have been so many infectious disease outbreaks! This happens regularly. COVID-19 is just particularly bad. Here's a list from the past 20 years just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are tons I don't know about.

• SARS
  • Swine flu
  • Ebola
  • Covid-19
  • Mad cow disease
  • H1N1
Nothing said here is surprising or unexpected.

This is what all infectious disease experts always say... every year.

And they are always right. There have been so many infectious disease outbreaks! This happens regularly. COVID-19 is just particularly bad. Here's a list from the past 20 years just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are tons I don't know about.

• SARS
  • Swine flu
  • Ebola
  • Covid-19
  • Mad cow disease
  • H1N1
Nothing said here is surprising or unexpected.
To add to this...we should be acting, thinking, and talking as if something like this could hit us by surprise at any moment. If we aren't, then we tend to grow complacent, and have an even worse problem than we otherwise would, simply because we weren't prepared.

Talking preparedness is not the same as indicating knowledge that this *specific* virus was going to appear.

^- I wrote a too long reply and deleted it but in general - Our household has dealt with each of those events listed above and the only one that actually freaked out the hospital staff was Ebola - not sure why so much but that was the one that I recall the most. I think & rightly so, up until the US govt admitted we had a "cure" for ebola when that poor nurse got it, it freaked the fuck out of us much like this one

But this Covid has caused a massive change to the way the wife works,  she has been at this ICU in Denver for 7 years and they have never been full (24 bed ICU - so kind of small) I think a 200 total bed hospital.  Every previous Flu season wouldn't be much to write home about - and usually they would get "called off" i.e sent home more during flu season for lack of work than other times - Right now they have 29 covids in the ICU

For whatever reason the other 180 beds are pretty much empty, not sure if people are somehow magically not having strokes / heart attacks / falls / etc - 

But at this rate pretty much the entire hospital will be out of work in 2-3 weeks 

When is TN supposed to "peak"?

I was expecting FL to be much like NY but my BIL is a doc down there and said due to the age of the population they have one of the higher than normal population to hospital bed system than most states and they have pretty large / strong regional hospital presence. Or maybe they all just got scared and stayed put?

Latest posts

Back