2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
& I know that "artist" think they have some role to offer people, but did anyone else watch these shows with Garth Brooks and Elton John? Holy crap were those disappointing!

I went grocery shopping over the weekend to last another 2 or so weeks.  It wasn't awful.  Not crowded like I expected, but there was also no tp or any cleaning products on the shelves.  This might be over the top but I followed this guy's procedure for washing stuff before it came in the house:

Safe Grocery shopping PSA
I went yesterday. The kids wanted to go with me, but the wife and I put our foot down on that. It was a lot calmer yesterday than last Saturday, but there were no cleaning products or tp at our store either. We also did the wipe down of groceries before putting them away. It was my wife's suggestion, and she said "This might be extreme", but I cut her off and said "What's the worst that will happen as a result of doing this? We don't get sick? It takes us a little longer to put away groceries?" The benefits of it far outweigh the costs.

I scored a three pack of disinfecting wipes at Walmart last week! There were two three-packs, but I only took one, cuz I'm not a hoarder.

We also did the wipe down of groceries before putting them away. It was my wife's suggestion, and she said "This might be extreme", but I cut her off and said "What's the worst that will happen as a result of doing this? We don't get sick? It takes us a little longer to put away groceries?" The benefits of it far outweigh the costs.

I went grocery shopping over the weekend to last another 2 or so weeks.  It wasn't awful.  Not crowded like I expected, but there was also no tp or any cleaning products on the shelves.  This might be over the top but I followed this guy's procedure for washing stuff before it came in the house:

Safe Grocery shopping PSA
Interestingly, it looks like the FDA and WA DOH don't feel like it's necessary to wipe down groceries.

https://mynorthwest.com/1795551/wa-department-of-health-disinfecting-groceries/

As for me...I think I'll continue to do so (following the advice of @frazil's link), since to me it seems like not taking any chances is the smarter move.

& I know that "artist" think they have some role to offer people, but did anyone else watch these shows with Garth Brooks and Elton John? Holy crap were those disappointing!
It’s was just ok.   Got a chuckle about Elton’s comparison with the aids epidemic.  It was pretty clear what activities spread hiv/aids (it took recognizing it was in the bodily fluids to stop the spread through medical procedures). But all typical people needed to do was stop swapping bodily fluids with strangers.  This thing you really need a space suit to avoid some contamination method.  I just watched fraz’s link above.   I went shopping last Friday and did not decontaminate anything before I put it away in the frig, freezer, cabinets, etc.  I told my wife we’re gonna die.  At least I bought some nice steaks for the last meal.

@Ble_PE I'm hoping they fulfill his wish...

giphy.gif

It’s was just ok.   Got a chuckle about Elton’s comparison with the aids epidemic.  It was pretty clear what activities spread hiv/aids (it took recognizing it was in the bodily fluids to stop the spread through medical procedures). But all typical people needed to do was stop swapping bodily fluids with strangers.  This thing you really need a space suit to avoid some contamination method.  I just watched fraz’s link above.   I went shopping last Friday and did not decontaminate anything before I put it away in the frig, freezer, cabinets, etc.  I told my wife we’re gonna die.  At least I bought some nice steaks for the last meal.

b50fac738ba25824884e990e52d9fc1e.png

How did she get tested if she isn't showing symptoms??
Willingness to test people outside of the original criteria seems to vary by individual location based on how many test are available and how many people are trying to get tested. At first New Orleans hosiptials would only test people with symptoms + fever. Then the drive through testing center opened here and they would test anyone with symptoms + fever OR anyone with a note from their doctor saying then should be tested. Now they are testing anyone who wants a test, no symptoms or note required.

How did she get tested if she isn't showing symptoms??
Being located in the NY/Long Island area, and being a police officer (I think) might have helped her get tested.  I think the hot spot area in NY is allowing people to be tested if there is probable cause of them being in contact with a positive covid case?

Willingness to test people outside of the original criteria seems to vary by individual location based on how many test are available and how many people are trying to get tested. At first New Orleans hosiptials would only test people with symptoms + fever. Then the drive through testing center opened here and they would test anyone with symptoms + fever OR anyone with a note from their doctor saying then should be tested. Now they are testing anyone who wants a test, no symptoms or note required.
We need a new Archer meme: "You want COVID-19? Because that's how you get COVID-19"

Made a end of day grocery store run- stores seems to be back to normal for everything except TP and eggs...

And it's just the opposite around here--even though Michigan has 50% more cases than Louisiana, doctor's prescription or not, we can only get a test in my county if (1) showing symptoms, AND (2) have had exposure to someone who tested positive and/or traveled out of the country, AND (3) are high-risk (over 60, diabetic, lung disease, etc.)  We only have 24 confirmed cases in my county, but who knows how many cases we actually have since they are hardly testing anyone.

And it's just the opposite around here--even though Michigan has 50% more cases than Louisiana, doctor's prescription or not, we can only get a test in my county if (1) showing symptoms, AND (2) have had exposure to someone who tested positive and/or traveled out of the country, AND (3) are high-risk (over 60, diabetic, lung disease, etc.)  We only have 24 confirmed cases in my county, but who knows how many cases we actually have since they are hardly testing anyone.
this is how our county is operating too.  

OMG these 2 extra hours a day from not commuting are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!   I am able to get so much more stuff done in the house...actually make nice dinners...get to relax before bedtime...

I don't think I could handle it 100% of the time forever, but a couple days a week working from home during normal times would be AMAZING.   I think I might tackle shampooing the carpets this evening.

OMG these 2 extra hours a day from not commuting are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!   I am able to get so much more stuff done in the house...actually make nice dinners...get to relax before bedtime...

I don't think I could handle it 100% of the time forever, but a couple days a week working from home during normal times would be AMAZING.   I think I might tackle shampooing the carpets this evening.
Not missing commute either. Before this there times I told my boss I would be working from home if there was something I really needed to concentrate on. Fortress of Solitude is needed sometimes.

Latest posts

Back