2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

Be careful out there. First infant casualty; investigation ongoing.

https://abc7chicago.com/amp/coronavirus-illinois-cornoavirus-cases-update-chicago-hot-spot/6057864/

A grocery store in PA had to throw out $ 35,000 of food because a woman coughed and sneezed on it as a joke. Claimed to have virus, did not. She was arrested.

Man in MD arrested for refusing to break up a party of 60 people.

Today's examples of Darwin was wrong.

There appears to be a new testing method/apparatus by Abbot that is FDA-approved.  Gives a positive result in 5-minutes or a negative in 13-minutes.  I'm hoping this will allow a better understanding of who has it/where it is spreading/etc.

Worried about my sister in NYC.  She's the head of a call center/command center for COVID response and she's been def burning the candle at both ends.  12+ hour shifts.  At least they're letting her use her car instead of the subway since there is a nearby parking garage.

There appears to be a new testing method/apparatus by Abbot that is FDA-approved.  Gives a positive result in 5-minutes or a negative in 13-minutes.  I'm hoping this will allow a better understanding of who has it/where it is spreading/etc.

Worried about my sister in NYC.  She's the head of a call center/command center for COVID response and she's been def burning the candle at both ends.  12+ hour shifts.  At least they're letting her use her car instead of the subway since there is a nearby parking garage.
Hope she is OK. Understand your concern. Got one brother a firefighter, another police, cousin that is a nurse (doesn't work in emergency).

Last edited by a moderator:
I went grocery shopping over the weekend to last another 2 or so weeks.  It wasn't awful.  Not crowded like I expected, but there was also no tp or any cleaning products on the shelves.  This might be over the top but I followed this guy's procedure for washing stuff before it came in the house:

Safe Grocery shopping PSA

Welp, more bad news, there is really strong evidence that covid can be spread at the aerosol level (<5 ug).  Supposedly a bunch of choirs are getting sick in the LA area, no symptoms going in, but singing...does involve aerosol spread, not coughing/spitting, per se.  

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

I just wish we all understood more about what exactly this is.  Hospital next door has a confirmed 50% positive infected rate of all the healthcare workers.

@Platypus Engineer thanks.  I hope things work out for your family.  It's the support staff that are now beginning to suffer (not taking anything away from the healthcare workers).  There is so little they can do to really help without being in the trenches and so they push too much to help.  I'm just ultra worried because this is the first time I've been really separated from my immediate family (over 13 hours away), and this is not helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the things about the churches, even if you have it and are not "looking sick yet" you can still spread it - Fauci said the risk is anytime you are with anyone who has it for more than 15 minutes - So walking down the grocery store aisle next to someone with it you are likely fine unless they cough in your face - but if you are in the same room with someone for an hour, they are going to wipe their nose, touch doorknobs, etc

My parents were still going to choir right up to last weekend (weekend before last) I had to give them the gloomy dying alone speech from my wifes work to scare them into not going  & guess what, there choir director tested positive late last week :(  

Latest posts

Back