2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1faq75.jpg

Wait...isn’t that exactly what it means?
The Y axis scale is changing as it increases, so the curve is flattening, but the rate is actually increasing. Here's another view, with a non-log y axis, easier to see infelction. 
image.png

Which is from "Buzzfeed News" 😬, not my favorite source.... but feel free to do some of your own digging!
Edit: I said "not necessarily" in above post because some with negative inflection in first graph (South Korea) are actually slowing down, while others (All others) are still accelerating. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Y axis scale is changing as it increases, so the curve is flattening, but the rate is actually increasing. Here's another view, with a non-log y axis, easier to see infelction. 
By "flattening" do you mean becoming straight?  On a log chart I agree that a straight line or even curving would not mean the rate is decreasing.  I thought you meant becoming horizontal (like S. Korea) which would mean the rate is decreasing.  I agree with dleg too that these data are also a function of the rate of testing.  It's tough to get a handle on what's going on, but it definitely helps seeing these charts and maps and data.  Buzzfeed grabbed it from Johns Hopkins which is doing a really amazing job tracking all this.

Edit: Ah, I understand what you mean! Your edit note above helped.

I wonder why they don't plot China on here.

So now WA has limited gatherings to 50 people max and has pretty much shut everything else (restaurants, gyms, hair salons, etc.) down.

Honestly this doesn’t feel much different for me, since I’m naturally an introvert...but this still kinda sucks. Seems to me that there’s some borderline unconstitutional stuff going on here.

I made a post on next door about how to clean and eat squirrel that got removed //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_sad.png

People are not prepared for hard times - but these squirrels are fat as hell and would go well with all this rice we have.(had for years we never eat)

By "flattening" do you mean becoming straight?  On a log chart I agree that a straight line or even curving would not mean the rate is decreasing.  I thought you meant becoming horizontal (like S. Korea) which would mean the rate is decreasing.  I agree with dleg too that these data are also a function of the rate of testing.  It's tough to get a handle on what's going on, but it definitely helps seeing these charts and maps and data.  Buzzfeed grabbed it from Johns Hopkins which is doing a really amazing job tracking all this.

Edit: Ah, I understand what you mean! Your edit note above helped.

I wonder why they don't plot China on here.
By "flattening" I meant the downward concavity. For example just looking at US data: it's concave down on first chart. This is a little deceptive, since it appears it's slowing down. It's concave up on second chart, which shows that rate is increasing. (Oops just noticed your edit. Glad I cleared myself up 👍)

Re second part: China is ~4 times higher then the others atm, so maybe that's why. Would be harder to see this data if that was plotted. 

I made a post on next door about how to clean and eat squirrel that got removed //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_sad.png

People are not prepared for hard times - but these squirrels are fat as hell and would go well with all this rice we have.(had for years we never eat)
give um a few weeks, and they'll ask you to post it again.

Tom Brady is done in New England, maybe this Coronavirus ain't all bad!

Latest posts

Back