1000 Days

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd love to pick up running, but apparently I don't know how to breath properly while running so I don't even try.
I usually find that after taking a breath in, breathing out is the next logical step. ;)
Apparently I can't do that correctly, because I start hyperventilating
Breathing is a pretty important part to any exercise, do you have problems only when running? Or do you have the same problem when doing other exercises.

My initial reaction would be to tell you to slow down. You are probably pushing yourself harder then you are ready for, which leaves you gasping for breath. Running distances is more about finding a pace you can maintain rather then running until your legs fall off. For me that means finding a pace where I can maintain a consistent breathing pattern.
just when running or on very steep stairs.

i'd love to pick up running, but apparently I don't know how to breath properly while running so I don't even try.
I usually find that after taking a breath in, breathing out is the next logical step. ;)
Apparently I can't do that correctly, because I start hyperventilating
Breathing is a pretty important part to any exercise, do you have problems only when running? Or do you have the same problem when doing other exercises.

My initial reaction would be to tell you to slow down. You are probably pushing yourself harder then you are ready for, which leaves you gasping for breath. Running distances is more about finding a pace you can maintain rather then running until your legs fall off. For me that means finding a pace where I can maintain a consistent breathing pattern.
I was just being a smart@$$. I do the same thing with cycling. Find a good rythym when riding, and kep it there. While riding, if I can't hold a conversation, then I'm breathing too quikly/working too hard. This only applies when riding downhill or on the flats. When climbing, for me, I can't talk to anyone.

I don't run unless I'm being chased. I'm sorta considering picking it up, though, because I think that I have developed the muscles used in biking to the point where I'm not getting a good workout. I would need a training program designed for people that would struggle running a mile.
Couch to 5k

You definitely don't want to just start running without a plan. When I got started, after being sedentary and overweight throughout my 20s, I got shin splints and became convinced I just was unfit for running. I tried this program after about 5 years of false starts, and it got me into running without injury, and I've been fine ever since.

I've also used this program to get several people, including my wife, into running without injury.

Running is good. I think it burns more calories per minute than anything else, and builds all kinds of little muscles that are important for control that biking will never touch (ankles, groin, etc.).

Couch to 5k
You definitely don't want to just start running without a plan. When I got started, after being sedentary and overweight throughout my 20s, I got shin splints and became convinced I just was unfit for running. I tried this program after about 5 years of false starts, and it got me into running without injury, and I've been fine ever since.

I've also used this program to get several people, including my wife, into running without injury.

Running is good. I think it burns more calories per minute than anything else, and builds all kinds of little muscles that are important for control that biking will never touch (ankles, groin, etc.).
Thanks for the link, Dleg. I'll probably start that program in the near future. It does kinda suck that it's 9 weeks though, so that will put me in dead winter to finish it up. Would it be a bad thing to accelerate it, ya think?

Don't accelerate. The whole purpose is to prevent injury. Running is very tough on someone who has not run much before - take it from me. Biking and weights do not prepare you at all for the stresses of running - only running does.

9 weeks isn't bad, in fact, it's pretty amazing that you can get up to 3 miles in that time. Running in winter will toughen you up, anyway. It's good for you!

good work wil! and interesting link Dleg.

Good for you!!!! I have a guy that works in the building we are in that came into my office about 5 months ago and said that in 5 months he would lose 50 lbs. ..he needed to lose more, but i figured for him that was at least a goal, so I wrote it down on my white board, and it's still there...so, on October 20th, he's supposed to be 50lbs lighter. I can honestly say that he has ONE WEEK now to lose 60 lbs.
It's easy to make those claims, but very few follow through.
it's gonna make a mess when he has to saw off a leg.

Back