1000 Days

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
Today was my 1000th consecutive day of doing some sort of workout. I exercise biked most of those days, but also did P90X all the way through, did various other workout videos, lifted weights on my own program, used an elliptical machine once (in a hotel that didn't have a bike), and "only golfed" 7 times. There were a lot more rounds of golf sprinkled in there, but I only used it as my primary "workout" 7 times.

I'm kinda scared to stop now 'cause I might gain all that weight back. I'm going for at least 3 years. The streak started on January 17, 2008 when I received my exercise bike.

Good work, but you'll probably be OK if you take ti down a notch. I'm currently running just three days a week, and doing simple sit-up, push-up, and barbell exercizes maybe 4-5 days, and I am doing fine.

That's awesome! Why stop now? Go for the 5k!

congrats! my streak isnt nearly as impressive, but ive been working out at least 3 days a week (a few months was 6 days a week) since january of '06 with only time off for injuries. Its become my hobby and ive found that it upsets me when i miss a day. was your motivation to lose weight or bulk up?

Congratulations. That takes a kind of devotion that most people on this planet don't have.

was your motivation to lose weight or bulk up?
Lose weight and lower blood pressure. I weighed 315 when I started, and my doctor told me I had high blood pressure. My dad has HBP too, and takes medication for it. My doc suggested that I try to control it with diet first, then if that didn't work, he would put me on drugs. I'm down about 85 pounds (95 at my peak), and my blood pressure is completely normal. I also went though about 3 wardrobes and quit snoring as a result of the weight loss. It didn't make my hair grow back, though.

Good for you!!!! I have a guy that works in the building we are in that came into my office about 5 months ago and said that in 5 months he would lose 50 lbs. ..he needed to lose more, but i figured for him that was at least a goal, so I wrote it down on my white board, and it's still there...so, on October 20th, he's supposed to be 50lbs lighter. I can honestly say that he has ONE WEEK now to lose 60 lbs.

It's easy to make those claims, but very few follow through.

Congrats! That is a truly epic streak. Do you use a calendar to keep track of what you did on what days?

Sounds like your ready to take a crack at the Derby mini-marathon in April. Ill forward you the training program Ive been using the last couple years if your interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! That is a truly epic streak. Do you use a calendar to keep track of what you did on what days?
Sounds like your ready to take a crack at the Derby mini-marathon in April. Ill forward you the training program Ive been using the last couple years if your interested.
I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of the miles/time/calories burned for the bike rides, and I just put down what I did in the comment column if I didn't bike that day. There's a pretty interesting history of my travels for the last ~3 years on there.

I don't run unless I'm being chased. I'm sorta considering picking it up, though, because I think that I have developed the muscles used in biking to the point where I'm not getting a good workout. I would need a training program designed for people that would struggle running a mile.

wow, congrats on a truly impressive streak! :respect:

Careful with taking up running, it can become addictive. ;)

I once upon a time swore I would never run anything longer than a 5k, two weeks ago I completed my first half marathon.

I once upon a time swore I would never run anything longer than a 5k, two weeks ago I completed my first half marathon.
i'd love to pick up running, but apparently I don't know how to breath properly while running so I don't even try.

i'd love to pick up running, but apparently I don't know how to breath properly while running so I don't even try.
I usually find that after taking a breath in, breathing out is the next logical step. ;)

I usually find that after taking a breath in, breathing out is the next logical step. ;)
Apparently I can't do that correctly, because I start hyperventilating

Apparently I can't do that correctly, because I start hyperventilating
Breathing is a pretty important part to any exercise, do you have problems only when running? Or do you have the same problem when doing other exercises.

My initial reaction would be to tell you to slow down. You are probably pushing yourself harder then you are ready for, which leaves you gasping for breath. Running distances is more about finding a pace you can maintain rather then running until your legs fall off. For me that means finding a pace where I can maintain a consistent breathing pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back