Recipe Exchange

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
It's been talked about a lot, so I'll start it.

Cabbage rolls

[SIZE=12pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2 lbs ground beef[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 cup (precooked amount) rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 egg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 Head of cabbage[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Carrots [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 small onion diced (optional)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Salt and pepper[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Half empty bottle of ketchup (Heinz preferable)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]White string/thread[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cook rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Combine rice, gdbeef, egg, onion, salt and pepper in large bowl and mix thoroughly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Core stem out of cabbage and place in boiling pot of water. Steam until cabbage leaves are soft and pliable. (most time consuming step) Reserve the water.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Stuff a cabbage leave with the beef mixture and fold over leaf edges. Wrap the roll with string to keep it together and place in a roasting pan. Repeat until you run out of beef.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fill the ketchup bottle with the reserved cabbage water, close and shake bottle to thin out the ketchup.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pour the ketchup/water mixture over the rolls in the pan. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Slice/peel the carrots over the top of the rolls. We prefer to peel into slices (like tree rings). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Place in oven and cook for 1.5 – 2 hours.[/SIZE]

Enjoy right away with boiled/mashed potatoes or wrap and freeze for reheating later.

Jerk Chicken (WHAT DID YOU CALL ME!?!)

2 lbs chicken parts (I prefer the wings)

2 tbs whole all spice

2 tbs whole black pepper

1 tbs cumin seed

2 tbs corriander

1 tbs dried rosemary

1 tbs dried thyme

1 tbs dried oregano

1 tbs dried basil

3 green onions

2 tbs parsley

2 limes (juice)

1/2 cup yellow mustard

2 cloves garlic

5-10 habanero peppers (depending on how spicy you like it, I say go for all 10)

shot of dark rum (...and one for the doctor)

Toast the whole spices and grind (I usually just give them a whirl in the blender by themselves).

put everything except the chicken and the parsley in the blender and blend until even.

add parsley and give a few pulses to give it a rough chop.

throw marinade and chicken parts in a zip lock bag and let marinate for 1-4 hours.

Barbecue.

eat with plenty of rum based beverage to wash it down!

Sometimes I will add some ginger to the marinade... never measure any of the ingredients, I am sure that would mess up the recipe.

White Bean Chili

1 lb. dried Great Northern Beans

2 med. onion, chopped

1 tbsp. olive oil

3 (4.5 oz.) cans chopped green chilis, undrained

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. ground cumin

2 tsp. dried oregano

6 cups chicken broth

5 cups chopped cooked chicken breast

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Sort and rinse beans; place in large dutch oven. Cover with 2 inches water above beans; let soak overnight, drain and set aside.

Saute onion in Dutch oven until tender; add green chilis and next 3 ingredients; cook 2 min. stirring constantly. Add beans and chicken broth. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Add chicken, 1 cup of cheese, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 min. Stir in cilantro, top with cheese and serve.

I usually replace 2 of the cans of Green Chilis with cans of diced jalapenos. It makes the chili a hell of a lot hotter.

Chicken Madras (courtesy of The Curry House)

Basic Curry Sauce

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)

1 medium onion - finely chopped

4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced

1.5 inch piece root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced (it should look about the same volume as the garlic)

(optional) 2 mild fleshy green chillies - de-seeded and veined then chopped

half teaspoon turmeric powder

half teaspoon ground cumin seed

half teaspoon ground coriander seed

5 tablespoons plain passata (smooth, thick, sieved tomatoes, US = purée) or 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato purée (US = paste) mixed with 4 tablespoons water

- Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high.

- Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli (if using). Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.

- Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing browns or burns.

- Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.

- Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. Add the passata and stir.

- Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. You can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangy brown. The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup. Warning - it WILL gloop occasionally and splatter over your cooker, it's the price you have to pay!

Chicken Madras

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee

2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes

6 (more for a vindaloo) whole small dried chillies (Bird's Eye or Thai Hots)

half teaspoon hot chilli powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon paprika

half a batch of Basic Curry Sauce

salt to taste

1 teaspoon methi (dried fenugreek) leaves, washed in a sieve then left moist for at least 10 minutes.

half teaspoon garam masala

- Heat a little of the oil in a large heavy frying pan then fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white. Remove them from the pan and set aside.

- Heat the rest of the oil in a heavy saucepan over a moderate heat.

- Add the whole dried chillies and fry until they start to swell.

- Turn the heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of the Basic Curry Sauce and stir round. Then add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and fry gently, stirring all the time, for a minute. Take care not to burn the spices or the curry will lack flavour and taste bitter.

- Add the rest of the Basic Curry Sauce, the chicken pieces and salt and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Stir from time to time and add a little hot water if the sauce starts to catch on the bottom of the pan.

- 10 minutes from the end add the garam masala and fenugreek leaves.

- Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes stirring frequently as the sauce should now be nice and thick.

I usually make a double batch of the Chicken Madras which uses a whole batch of the Curry Sauce. I have not yet found fenugreek leaves in my local grocery store, but all the rest of the spices are easily attainable. Don't forget to add the garam masala at the end...I did one time, and it really changed the flavor of the dish.

Naan Bread

2 cups of All Purpose flour (Plain flour or maida)

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

Pinch of baking soda

2 tablespoons of oil

2 1/2 tablespoons yogurt (curd or dahi)

3/4 cup lukewarm water

Also needed:

1 teaspoon of clear butter or ghee to butter the Naan

1/4 cup All Purpose flour for rolling

- Dissolve active dry yeast in lukewarm water and let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes frothy.

- Add sugar, salt and baking soda to the flour and mix well.

- Add the oil and yogurt mix, this will become crumbly dough.

- Add the water/yeast mixture and make into soft dough.Note: after dough rise will become little softer.

- Knead until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough and keep in a warm place for 3-4 hours. The dough should almost be double in volume.

Heat the oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone for at least thirty minutes so stone is hot. Using a pizza stone will help to give naan close to same kind of heat as clay tandoor.

- Next turn the oven to high broil.

- Knead the dough for about two to three minutes and divide the dough into six equal parts.

- Take each piece of dough, one at a time, and roll into 8-inch oval shape. Dust lightly with dry flour to help with the rolling.

- Before putting the Naan in oven, lightly wet your hands and take the rolled Naan, and flipp them between your palms and place onto your baking/pizza stone into the oven.

- You can place about 2 Naan on the baking/pizza stone at a time. The Naan will take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook, depending upon your oven. After the Naan is baked(Naan should be golden brown color on top).

- Take naan out of the oven and brush lightly with clear butter or ghee.

- Wait 2 to 3 minutes before baking the next batch of naan. It gives oven the chance to get heated again to max.

Awesome Pork Chops

2-3 lbs of pork chops, any cut or thickness (marinate thicker ones longer)

2 bottles Killians Ale

1 cup kosher salt (it's a brine, it's supposed to be salty)

tablespoon of minced fresh garlic

1/4 cup dark molasses

1/4 cup brown sugar

pinch of red pepper flakes

Heat all the above together until it just boils. Remove from heat and throw in enough ice to bring it back down to roughly room temp (usually 2-4 cups of ice will do, adjust as needed). Remove any excess ice and put in your pork chops, making sure all the meat is covered (can all be transferred to ziploc bags). Allow chops to marinate on the counter for 1-2 hours, or overnight in the fridge (DO NOT OVERMARINATE unless you want pork jerky). Heat your grill to medium high and be sure to use some water-soaked hickory wood chunks for yummy smoke. Let chops sear on the first side for 2 minutes, then 2 minutes on the other side. Then brush the chops with olive oil while continuing to turn them until they look totally cooked (ALWAYS COOK PORK ALL THE WAY).

VT, where's your recipe for Scotch Ramen?
:rotflmao: :puke:

4 knuckleheaded college students, aged 18 years, approximately 170 lbs of white meat each, thoroughly marinated

1 750 mL bottle of Johnnie Walker scotch whisky, red label, unopened and still in the box it was in when a friend of your Dad's gave it to him

At least 1 package of cup o' noodles per knucklehead, with salt flavor packet. Cook's Note: To ensure your guests savor every drop of this meal, be sure to only top shelf freeze dried cardboard noodles in a non-biodegradable styrofoam cup, not an imitator.

Peel open but do not detach cover from cup. Add flavor packet to noodle cup, and fill with scotch to the line near the top of the cup. Loosely place the cover over the cup.

Cook on high for 2 minutes in a 700 W microwave oven, or until boiled. Giggle like a silly schoolgirl while heating.

Carefully remove the cover from the cup and discard. Use caution, as to prevent steam burns and melting sinus cavities resulting from the 80 proof superheated vapor.

Let the cup for 3-5 minutes to cool, allowing the alcohol to begin eating through the cup flavors to combine.

Cook's Tip: This meal is best served with plenty of imported lager. And I mean plenty. A clear path to the toilet, a garbage can, bucket, or really anything besides a carpet or curtains to puke on is also an excellent pairing.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 knuckleheaded college students, aged 18 years, approximately 170 lbs of white meat each, thoroughly marinated

1 750 mL bottle of Johnnie Walker scotch whisky, red label, unopened and still in the box it was in when a friend of your Dad's gave it to him

At least 1 package of cup o' noodles per knucklehead, with salt flavor packet. Cook's Note: To ensure your guests savor every drop of this meal, be sure to only top shelf freeze dried cardboard noodles in a non-biodegradable styrofoam cup, not an imitator.

Peel open but do not detach cover from cup. Add flavor packet to noodle cup, and fill with scotch to the line near the top of the cup. Loosely place the cover over the cup.

Cook on high for 2 minutes in a 700 W microwave oven, or until boiled. Giggle like a silly schoolgirl while heating.

Carefully remove the cover from the cup and discard. Use caution, as to prevent steam burns and melting sinus cavities resulting from the 80 proof superheated vapor.

Let the cup for 3-5 minutes to cool, allowing the alcohol to begin eating through the cup flavors to combine.

Cook's Tip: This meal is best served with plenty of imported lager. And I mean plenty. A clear path to the toilet, a garbage can, bucket, or really anything besides a carpet or curtains to puke on is also an excellent pairing.
:spit: :appl: ROFLMAO!

Thanks for starting the thread, snickerd!

Mexican Casserole

The only essential ingredients are the corn tortillas and the tomato sauce. What else you put in there is up to you.

I usually make this in a 13" x 9" pan. You won't need as big of a pan if you put fewer ingredients in it.

I take a can of diced tomatoes (you can use fresh diced) and a can of tomato sauce and simmer that for a few minutes (10-15) on the stove with some seasonings. If you're in a hurry just put a packet of taco seasoning in there. You can use chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, etc.

Then take your corn tortillas (the small kind), dip them in the sauce, and lay them flat in the pan. Six go on the bottom layer. Ladle a good coating of the tomato sauce on top of these.

Now you're ready to build the other layers. Here are some suggestions for ingredients:

1 can black beans (drained)

1 can cut corn (drained)

1/2 c diced onion

shredded cheese

1 can black olives

1 lb ground meat (beef, venison, or turkey) seasoned with one packet taco seasoning

etc.

You can stretch this further by including 1 cup of cooked rice.

Layer a couple of ingredients, then another layer of tortillas, until you get the pan full. Mine usually has two layers of tortillas in it; the bottom layer and one in the middle. I usually put the corn and cheese on the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. To keep the cheese from getting too brown, you can wait and add it for the last 15 minutes.

Very good served with a dollop of sour cream and a salad.

Thanks snickerd. :)

Here is one of my new favorites. It's from an online friend of mine. I've tried it and it's really good. I have tried substituting ground deer meat for one of the meats , and that's good too:

Frikadeller

"I can highly recommend my mother-in-law's Danish frikadeller. They're similar to Swedish meatballs, but way, WAY better. Here's the recipe, translated from my husband's Danish cookbook, God Mad, Let at lave (Good food, easy to cook):

Ingredients

1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb of ground pork (you can also use just pork, or pork and veal, whatever combination of ground meat you prefer)

1/2 cup flour

About a cup of liquid, such as milk, water or stock (we use milk)

1 egg

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 finely chopped yellow onion

Butter for frying

(This is an easy recipe to double, which we also usually do.)

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except liquid, and mix for roughly 3 minutes with a hand mixer on medium speed, adding liquid to get desired consistency, which should be moist but not wet.

Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes

Heat a couple of tbsp of butter in large skillet

Dip a spoon in the hot butter from the pan and use the spoon and your hand to shape meatballs into flattened football shapes.

Drop meatballs in the skillet and fry until crispy on the outside, roughly 4 - 5 minutes on each side.

Continue the process until all the meatballs are cooked (will require several batches, or, if you're good, several pans at one time).

Serve with boiled red potatoes and green beans."

:appl: :beerchug: :rotflmao:

One of my all time favorites: Chicken Spaghetti

1 Box Velveeta Mexican Blend cheese (the bigger box)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can of Ro*Tel, desired heat range

Choice of noodles

Chicken meat (I prefer to pick apart a roaster)

Combine Velveeta, cream of chicken, and rotel in a pot on low heat, stirring frequently until completely melted and combined.

Toss chicken into the mixture, pour over your spaghetti, mix, and enjoy!

One of my all time favorites: Chicken Spaghetti

1 Box Velveeta Mexican Blend cheese (the bigger box)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can of Ro*Tel, desired heat range

Choice of noodles

Chicken meat (I prefer to pick apart a roaster)

Combine Velveeta, cream of chicken, and rotel in a pot on low heat, stirring frequently until completely melted and combined.

Toss chicken into the mixture, pour over your spaghetti, mix, and enjoy!
Holy Sodium, Batman!

If you are from Iowa, you probably have had these before. If not... well, you are in for a treat.

Ham Balls

4 lbs meat (2 lbs ground ham, 2 lbs ground pork) - you can usually have this ground mixture made for you at your grocer

1 cup cracker crumbs

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

2 eggs

½ cup milk

Sauce: (we like a lot of the sweet sauce, double if you do as well)

1 can tomato soup

1 Tablespoon dry mustard

½ cup vinegar

1 ½ cups brown sugar

Mix meat together, shape into balls, about the size of a tennis ball. Start balls first in open casserole dish about 15 minutes; drain grease. Pour sauce over balls. Bake uncovered 1 ½ hours in 325-350 degree oven.

Just finishing these off that I made this week.

Orange Marmalade Pork Chops (sauce for 1 lb of pork chops)

¼ cup orange marmalade

¼ cup apricot marmalade

¼ cup brown sugar

2 T Worcestershire sauce

2 T Dijon mustard

2 T horshradish

Grill pork chops until juices run clear. Mix ingredients in skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, drop in pork chops and cover while heating for another 2 minutes, under medium low heat.

Nom Nom.

When there is a chill that starts in the air, we usually can't wait to cook some chili OR Taco Soup:

Taco Soup

1 ½ lbs ground beef

1 envelope taco seasoning

2 cans (15 ¼ ounces each) whole kernel corn, undrained

2 cans (15 ounces each) ranch style or chili beans, undrained

2 cans (14 ½ ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained

Crushed tortilla chips, optional

Chedder cheese

Sour cream

Brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, corn, beans, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheese and sour cream. Serve with chips.

This is just like Chili - it's OK the first serving, but much better after being left in the fridge overnight and reheated...

And of course, to follow up a main dish... dessert:

Peanut Butter Monster Cookies

2 sticks margarine

2 cups brown sugar

2 cups white sugar

6 eggs

11/2 teaspoons Karo syrup

2 T baking soda

1 T vanilla

3 cups peanut butter

7 1/2 cups rolled oats

1/2 lb chocolate chips

1/2 lb M&M's

Cream together margarine and sugars.  Add eggs, Karo syrup, soda, vanilla, and peanut butter.  Beat well.  Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and M&M's.  Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Cool completely.

Note:  There is no flour in this recipe!

Yield: 6.5 dozen cookies

Back