Why it's taking so long Rant

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with this MFin' wait, the MFin' exam result gotta release now! Everybody brace yourselfs, i am going to chat! [extracts proof of exam date] I'm about to get some f-in' results.
ImpishSplendidItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

I feel like they can't curve it until all 50 states report their score.. so if even 1 state falls behind, they can't start the curving process. But that is just my speculation.

In reality, the only thing we are told about this whole process is that it takes "8-10 weeks" before your results are given. Anyone else saying anything else, is just speculating like me. The poster of this thread doesn't know their process, neither does kn1ghtfox. So there was no need for kn1ghtfox to say something like "get familiar with the process", because we aren't told the process and there is no way to find out more info about it. There's also no need for the poster to speculate about the process being inefficient either because like I said... we don't know what they do. We are only told it takes "8-10" weeks to get the results. To me this is fair and I agree with it, I don't think it's a good idea for NCEES to tell us too much about their process.
Actually, the process is spelled out directly in the examine guide.

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/ExamineeGuide_January-2018.pdf

See page 25:

Scoring

After each pencil-and-paper exam administration, every exam undergoes extensive statistical analysis to determine the minimum level of performance required for entry into the profession. This rigorous process helps ensure an equitable licensure system for examinees while upholding the standards of the profession.

The steps are as follows:

1. All answer sheets are scanned as they are received from the exam sites. Scanners are calibrated before and during scoring.

2. A psychometric analysis is performed on a sample of answer sheets from each multiple-choice exam to identify any questions with unusual statistics. These questions are flagged for review.

3. At least two subject-matter experts, who are licensed engineers or surveyors, review the flagged items. In addition, the subject-matter experts consider examinee comments about specific exam questions. If the reviews confirm an error in a question, credit may be given for more than one answer.

4. When the analyses and reviews are completed, NCEES changes the answer keys as necessary. The passing score and final correct answers for each exam are then used to score all answer sheets. A percentage of the answer sheets are manually verified, and the results are compared to the machine score to ensure accuracy.

5. NCEES releases the results to the licensing boards and testing agencies, who in turn report the results to examinees.

Back