Why it's taking so long Rant

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not just grading a scantron. Some exams like the EE Power were new versions. This means some of those questions were test run on us. They need to review those and look at outliers, red flag problems, possible ambiguities, rBis etc  to see what to adjust. The new changes to the specs will be board evaluated by sampling our answers.
As they should!!!! Some of those questions were way out in left field!!!

I smudged my answer sheet because of that eraser, I hope it doesn't affect the grading... 

That's how standardized tests like GRE work. They declare beforehand that some of the questions will be for "Research" and not be graded for the current exam takers to determine their score. However, depending on how everyone is doing on those questions, they will adjust/revise those questions which then will be used as "actual" question for future test takers. 
I hope the questions i got wrong were the ones for research 

As they should!!!! Some of those questions were way out in left field!!!
I felt the same way about some of the structural questions, but I'm willing to bet with my exam it was my own lack of knowledge but with your exam it was probably a kink they need to work out. Hopefully some of those left-fielders are thrown out.

I feel like they can't curve it until all 50 states report their score.. so if even 1 state falls behind, they can't start the curving process. But that is just my speculation.

In reality, the only thing we are told about this whole process is that it takes "8-10 weeks" before your results are given. Anyone else saying anything else, is just speculating like me. The poster of this thread doesn't know their process, neither does kn1ghtfox. So there was no need for kn1ghtfox to say something like "get familiar with the process", because we aren't told the process and there is no way to find out more info about it. There's also no need for the poster to speculate about the process being inefficient either because like I said... we don't know what they do. We are only told it takes "8-10" weeks to get the results. To me this is fair and I agree with it, I don't think it's a good idea for NCEES to tell us too much about their process.

I feel like they can't curve it until all 50 states report their score.. so if even 1 state falls behind, they can't start the curving process. But that is just my speculation.

In reality, the only thing we are told about this whole process is that it takes "8-10 weeks" before your results are given. Anyone else saying anything else, is just speculating like me. The poster of this thread doesn't know their process, neither does kn1ghtfox. So there was no need for kn1ghtfox to say something like "get familiar with the process", because we aren't told the process and there is no way to find out more info about it. There's also no need for the poster to speculate about the process being inefficient either because like I said... we don't know what they do. We are only told it takes "8-10" weeks to get the results. To me this is fair and I agree with it, I don't think it's a good idea for NCEES to tell us too much about their process.
Now that you mention it, it seems like the old adage of a stellar employee consistently going above and beyond that is critique for slowing down, even if there are still above and beyond. NCEES has reliably released results ahead of schedule, resulting in the expectation that they continue to do so. The reality is that they should not be expected to release results outside of their 8-10 week window even if they have in the past.

Welcome to Phase 5: Anger

What is you guys' feeling about results being released today? As much as I'd like for that to happen... I'm thinking it'll be more like Thursday.... ugh....
I am not aware of anything that would preclude a release of the results going forward. I wouldn't be surprised by a released anyday during RBH between now and mid-June. 

It's also not as easy as a "simple scantron". Try volunteering to review exam questions for future cycles. You'll definitely have a much better appreciation for the depth of this process.
^THIS^

Sure! Any direction on how to get involved? I would be happy to after (when) I pass the test....
Volunteer with various professional societies. They usually have committee that deal with professional licensing and certifications. Many are always looking for volunteers.

You would think they would have held these meetings earlier than May 18 and 19 for a new exam...
Yeah, you'd think that. I've stated before that I think someone just looked at last April's schedule and didn't adjust for things starting a week earlier this year. NBD is the scheme of things. And really they are still within the original 8-10 window so it really doesn't matter. If you pass, in a couple months you won't care about the delay.

That's how standardized tests like GRE work. They declare beforehand that some of the questions will be for "Research" and not be graded for the current exam takers to determine their score. 
The GRE is a much much shorter duration test than the PE. It wouldn't be fair to anyone to add 50% more questions to the exam for study purposes.

*and before you say it - yes I know you used the GRE as an arbitrary example and not as a presciption for how to do things in the future. The point is that the PPE is a brain killer and its too long already.

At least 4 or 5 of them were unreasonable PE exam questions. I remember getting really pissed when I saw them on the exam. 
This happens a lot. Some questions are meant to be very hard, or to take up time to distract you from the low hanging fruit. It's all about what the average PE could answer correctly.

There is no curve. The "cut score" is based on the score that an average PE would get on the test. There are 55 US jurisdictions (46 states, 4 commonwealths, 1 federal district, 2 insular commonwealths, 2 territories). Plus a bunch of international areas including various Canadian provinces. None of them influence the cut score.

Most of the process is actually publicly know and on the NCESS website. Myself, @knight1fox3, and others volunteer our time to fill in some of the blanks and explain the subtleties. When you've been around long enough, you start to serve on committees, make contacts,  get invited to help out in various places in various capacities - and I'm not referring to just the PPE exam.

Agreed, yes 8-10 weeks is fair. And it includes the time is takes for the states to send out notifications too. FWIW, in 2022 everything will be CBT and he wait will be 7-10 days, plus however long it takes the states to do their thing.

Now that you mention it, it seems like the old adage of a stellar employee consistently going above and beyond that is critique for slowing down, even if there are still above and beyond. NCEES has reliably released results ahead of schedule, resulting in the expectation that they continue to do so. The reality is that they should not be expected to release results outside of their 8-10 week window even if they have in the past.
^this

FWIW, in 2022 everything will be CBT and he wait will be 7-10 days, plus however long it takes the states to do their thing.
So yeah! You could just wait four years and avoid WEEKS, heck, even maybe a month plus (!) of all this frustration. Doesn't that sound like a nice idea?

Enough is ENOUGH! I have had it with this MFin' wait, the MFin' exam result gotta release now! Everybody brace yourselfs, i am going to chat! [extracts proof of exam date] I'm about to get some f-in' results.

Back