What are your Non-Passing Scores? Too soon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45/80 - structures killed me too. Last time I took it, I scored a 50/80 - I was really hoping for a slide in the other direction.

How can I work so hard, score well on practice tests and then completely bomb out on test day? I have never had this problem, until this stupid test. 

I want to take it again, just to show my kids that you should always persevere...but I don't know if I can handle going through it all again.
You can do it.  I remember when my dad failed a professional test when I was a kid, and the excitement, joy, and pride I felt when he passed it the second time.  

Failure sucks! But you'll pass it in October, and I'll pass it in October. And your kids are going to be so proud of you no matter what.

48/80 - Civil Construction

Congrats to all of the one who passed
I couldn't tell if that was a Freudian slip or not. "One" or "ones", cause I haven't seen a single construction depth pass this thing as of right now, but I'm sure there's "one" out there.

Does anybody have any idea when they give out the pass rates?

I took the Civil AM Structural PM in April 2017 and failed with 49/80 questions correct.  The PM screwed me up.  Worst subjects were Analysis of Structures: Forces and Load effects, materials and material props, and component design.

54/80 "Unsuccessful Attempt" as they try to put it nicely... decent try  to soften the blow I give them a B- for effort haha. Mechanical HVAC PE exam 

Civil Breadth - 19/40 AM & Transportation Depth - 25/40 PM (62.5%)

** 44/80 overall (55%) ** 

FAILED.  AWESOME - waste of 100's of hours and $1,000's of dollars.  I'm sick
Not a waste.  I actually just created an account here to respond to this...maybe I'll stick around.

I failed my first attempt (Transportation) with a 42/80.  Same feeling - hundreds of hours of study (paid for a class), thousands of dollars between resources and exam fees, and for what?

Round 2 - I took the same class again, took the Transportation exam again, and passed.

Don't give up!

54/80 "Unsuccessful Attempt" as they try to put it nicely... decent try  to soften the blow I give them a B- for effort haha. Mechanical HVAC PE exam 
I feel your pain.  Also took ME HVAC too and failed with 56/80.  I heard 56 (70%) is typical of passing so probably was very close.  Anyone else have a higher score than me and failed?  Want to try to figure out cut score.

I feel your pain.  Also took ME HVAC too and failed with 56/80.  I heard 56 (70%) is typical of passing so probably was very close.  Anyone else have a higher score than me and failed?  Want to try to figure out cut score.
On another forum someone mentioned their coworker got a 57/80 on the ME/HVAC and didn't pass. Total bummer.

I got 56 out of 80 and failed too. Should I shoot for 70 correct out of 80 in order to pass?
I had about 7 guesses in the AM session and 10 in the PM. I say 60/80 to be safe, but IMO you shouldn't worry about a target score until you've only got 5 minutes left, or you've gone over every question and backchecked your answers. Keep your focus on the test rather than the current # of correct answers. If you keep counting how many answers you've got right and how many guesses you have during the test, you might panic and lose focus

I got 56 out of 80 and failed too. Should I shoot for 70 correct out of 80 in order to pass?
I would try to shoot for 80/80 when you're studying.

I know that seems ridiculous/harsh, but especially now that it is no longer breadth + depth on the mechanical exams I think the expectations might be higher. If you go into your prep thinking "I can afford to miss these topics that I am not very good at" then you leave no margin for minor errors (missed unit, fat finger calculator) on the topics you are good at.

Latest posts

Back