What are your Non-Passing Scores? Too soon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The percentage is a thing, because many states have it in their codes that to be licensed you must score a 70%. So it is basically a made up 70% in some states to comply with the state's code.

Is the bonus points thing actually true?  If it is, that is completely BS for everyone else.

Does Georgia allow Veteran's Preference Points to be added to exam scores?

Georgia law currently provides for reference points to be given when specific criteria are met. In general, the law [General Provisions Volume 30, Title 43-1-9.(1)(2)(3)] provides that veterans meeting certain conditions are eligible for the addition of five or ten percentage points to their examination scores. The veteran must have served for a minimum of one year in active duty status, and must have served during a period of conflict or war for a minimum of 90 days. If you wish to apply for veterans preference points, you may bring a copy of your DD-214 form to the examination site and turn it in to the examination proctor. Following is specific applicable information:

Q. How does an exam candidate qualify for the addition of veteran’s preference points to be added to their exam score?

A. Persons who have served in the U. S. Armed Forces for at least one year, 90 days of which troops were committed by the President of the United States to war or a conflict, may apply for approval of veteran’s preference points.

Q. How many points are given for approved military service?

A. Five (5) points for qualifying times. Ten (10) points (total) may be approved for veterans who have at least a 10 percent disability, which is military connected. The disability must be verified by the Veterans Administration at a time close to administration of the examination for which approval of the points are requested.

Q. Are these points transferable to other states?

A. No. If your actual grade was 65, and five (5) veteran's preference points were added which gave you a passing score of 70 in Georgia, most states will determine your score to be 65, which is a failing score.

Q. May Georgia accept a score of 65 from another state, then apply the approved veteran's preference points, which would give me a passing score?

A. No, the points are applied only to examinations given in Georgia, and to applicants approved by the Georgia Board.

Q. How do I apply for veteran's preference points?

A. If you are applying for the examination in Georgia, you will be sent a form during the review process. You must complete this form and return to the board office along with a copy of your DD214 prior to release of the exam scores.

Q. How do you determine who is eligible for these points?

A. Our office works in cooperation with the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine eligibility.

Q. If I was approved for veteran's preference points for the FE/EIT and/or FLS/LSIT exam, do I need to reapply when I file my PE and/or LS application?

A. No, it is not necessary to reapply for approval since we will locate your previous file to prevent duplication.

Percentage might not be based on 80 questions?
Maybe they dropped one or two so (random number) 48/78 is 62% and not the 60% you would expect from 48/80?

48/80 - structures, soil mechanics, and geometrics killed me.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 points for a 10% disability?  Man, I should have taken the test in Georgia.

Yes and as a veteran I think it is a ridiculous rule.
It seems like you would get the same thing some female engineers get in college - did you pass because you made the cut score, or did you need the help from the extra points?  Not good from either side.

I thankfully do not have to give a civil structures score cause this time I PASSEEEED!!! So Happy! I got a 50 in October. Honestly the morning saved me this time. I studied my butt of for the morning and felt good. That afternoon seemed really rough!

I thankfully do not have to give a civil structures score cause this time I PASSEEEED!!! So Happy! I got a 50 in October. Honestly the morning saved me this time. I studied my butt of for the morning and felt good. That afternoon seemed really rough!
way to go!!!! Congratulations, you're done! It must feel fantastic!

Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations. Still waiting for my TX PE Structural

Congrats on passing the exam!

The percentage is a thing, because many states have it in their codes that to be licensed you must score a 70%. So it is basically a made up 70% in some states to comply with the state's code.
having had participated in the meeting to determine what is passing I can promise you it is not a guaranteed 70%, there is a lot that goes into it.

Feel free to read about it here: http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2012_AM_Understanding_Exam_Dev.pdf

It seems like you would get the same thing some female engineers get in college - did you pass because you made the cut score, or did you need the help from the extra points?  Not good from either side.
Say what now?  No one ever gave me extra points for having boobs.

Back