What are you eating?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herbs, what are those?

Honestly, I have no concept of what herbs go in what, and what doesn't. I'd throw pine needles in there if you told me to. The "herbs" I have in my pantry are salt, pepper, ground hot pepper, and Montreal Steak seasoning.
Sounds like me before I got married.

Herbs, what are those?

Honestly, I have no concept of what herbs go in what, and what doesn't. I'd throw pine needles in there if you told me to. The "herbs" I have in my pantry are salt, pepper, ground hot pepper, and Montreal Steak seasoning.
you can get the pre mixed seasonings (like the montreal steak one) for just about anything.... there is probably a chicken soup one. or you could read a recipe...

Edit: that montreal steak one is also really good on a nice tuna steak... mmmm.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got my own oregano, basil, and tarragon growing on the deck. The tarragon isn't getting enough sun and looks kinda sad at this point though.

We always use fresh garlic and giner, never dried or powdered. Generally the pepper is freshly ground.

If I'm just making a quick weeknight dinner I'll throw in dried thyme, rosemary, etc. but if it's a meal I'm really working hard on to turn out well, I'll get the fresh stuff form the grocery store.

We've got all sorts of stuff of the spice cabinet - curry powders, tumeric, coriander seeds, star anise, whole nutmeg, cardamom pods, etc. We get some when we are making something exotic and then it just hangs around.

cumin is my favorite. I use it in just about everything and never buy the powdered stuff... Toast the seeds and grind them fresh. also I have about 10 different varieties of dried chile peppers that I use to make different kinds of chili powder...

Made a pasta of sauteed onion, garlic, sliced mueshrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and green olives over fettucini. Paired it with corn and some bread. Mini-Buff and I were happy diners last night!

Roach coach fajitas with peppers, onions, and refried beans. I'm already brewing a storm of Fudgey-esque proportions.

Herbs, what are those?

If you want to make great tasting food and learn about what works and doesn't, I have to recommend these magazines COOKS Illustrated. Everything I have made from one has tasted amazing, and the evaluations and testing are great for an Engineer that likes to know why certain things work and others don't

Cook's Illustrated is extremely unique in the fact that it accepts absolutely no advertising, therefore offering its readers cover-to-cover pages of expertise. There are approximately ten recipes in each issue, of which each one is extensively discussed by the author. Cook's Illustrated is also well-known and appreciated for their use of unconventional ingredients and unique techniques, which ensures that your dish will always have a little something special to it. Each issue of the cooking magazine includes a complete taste-test on different brands of different kinds of ingredients, and a product test on kitchen tools such as utensils and baking dishes. Most issues also have general food articles that include information on suggested cooking methods and specific tips that will guarantee an overall greater quality in your home-cooking.

If you want to make great tasting food and learn about what works and doesn't, I have to recommend these magazines COOKS Illustrated. Everything I have made from one has tasted amazing, and the evaluations and testing are great for an Engineer that likes to know why certain things work and others don't
Cook's Illustrated is extremely unique in the fact that it accepts absolutely no advertising, therefore offering its readers cover-to-cover pages of expertise. There are approximately ten recipes in each issue, of which each one is extensively discussed by the author. Cook's Illustrated is also well-known and appreciated for their use of unconventional ingredients and unique techniques, which ensures that your dish will always have a little something special to it. Each issue of the cooking magazine includes a complete taste-test on different brands of different kinds of ingredients, and a product test on kitchen tools such as utensils and baking dishes. Most issues also have general food articles that include information on suggested cooking methods and specific tips that will guarantee an overall greater quality in your home-cooking.
it's the unconventional ingredients that will get it kicked out of our kitchen.

You guys really need a lesson on cooking? Talk to a Cajun from Louisiana. Grew up around food and my mom owns a restaurant. I love to cook but I am not too good at sizing my portions, so there is always tons of left overs.

Hard to find!
We've got Latin, Asian, and Indian grocers around here. Getting the spices and hard to find ingredients is the difference between a tasty enough dinner and the real deal.

You guys really need a lesson on cooking? Talk to a Cajun from Louisiana. Grew up around food and my mom owns a restaurant. I love to cook but I am not too good at sizing my portions, so there is always tons of left overs.
My Mom cooked fine, but it tended to be much richer than I'd prefer. I haggled her for years to switch over to lower fat or lower sodium alternatives. Also, dinners got to be a bit formulaic. Some sort of meat straight from the fridge to the oven, frozen veggies, and the starch of the day.

You'd have a hard time finding Cheerios in my grocery store, never mind ethnic ingredients or even the most basic fresh ingredients.

Besides, unconventional foods and me just don't go hand in hand. I nearly burned my apartment to the ground making a bagel on multiple occasions. I can grill, but I can't cook!

Man oh man do I miss crawfish boils though :(

I hate to tease, but this past year I actually ate so much crawfish, I did not want any at the end of the season. Well offshore fishing this weekend, probably going to cook up some amberjack, snapper, fresh Tuna or Ling next week. I should be eating fish for a while to come.

I've been eating less, whatever it is. I'm trying to lose 5 pounds at a time. 5 pounds, maintain for a couple weeks, 5 pounds, maintain for a couple weeks.

^Wait a sec, are you actually dieting sensibly?

Is that even allowed anymore? I thought all diets had to be a fad, potion, or pill anymore. I even heard one the other day on the radio that said "You're probably like most Americans: eat fast food, fatty red meats, and processed snacks. They prevent your belly from being flat and toned. But it's not your fault, magic pill can help you lose that weight that diet and exercise alone can't! Wheee!"

Magic pills don't work. I'm realigning my eating habits with my age and metabolism.

Back