WA SE III Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still optimistic that the results will be out towards the end of January this year. I think grading was done much earlier than usual. Mark my words, January 21st, 2011 will be the day we all know the results :) Sadly, 80% of us will be disappointed :(
WaEngineer,

Hope you are right. Although I feel good about this exam, I am going to apply for the NCEES spring exam. Hopefully the passing rate is higher this year. It was way lower than CA last year.

It seems like you are positive avout Jan 21 :) Again, I hope you are right.

Regarding the grading of the exams - after a failed attempt at the SEII in April 2010 I contacted NCEES with a couple questions. I talked to a very helpful gentlemen, Bruce Martin I think, and he said the exams are all graded in one day.

This is the SEII national exam that gets taken by hundreds each administration and they manage to get the grading complete in one day. He said sometimes it takes 12, 14, maybe 16 hours, but they stay in the room until all exams are graded. It must be a daunting task.

Have a Merry Christmas and try not to think about the results. I'm in the same waiting game boat.

McEngr said:
I am confident that the NCEES exam will yield better results for me simply because I am familiar with how they format the exams...
This year, there was a redundancy problem (all I'm saying about it) that confused me because part of the info was at the top of the next page (I didn't notice until 10am that morning). I'm not blaming that one issue as the cause of me not passing (I'm only assuming I didn't pass), but it certainly was a contributor...

There was also at least one rather misleading direction/instruction on one of the bridge problems, I thought. It's all rather disconcerting, since there is no appeal or review process in place for the SE III anymore.

There was also at least one rather misleading direction/instruction on one of the bridge problems, I thought. It's all rather disconcerting, since there is no appeal or review process in place for the SE III anymore.
I thought the afternoon building questions were not that bad. The morning ones were fair as well but longer. I think they are giving too much excessive information/data that you dont use. The problem is you waste lots of time just reading and trying to understand the questions.

I guess it takes two months after grading is finished to issue the results. I just received a letter from the board stating that candidates have the option to apply for the new SE exams before February 18th. If they happen to pass the SE III exam, then the board will issue them a refund.

May be this letter was sent for people who clearly failed the test!! :)

By the way, I almost had a heart attack when I received the letter. My coworkers were joking today that if the letter feels light that means you passed! The letter I received today was light!

I think we all should relax and wait until february....

I guess it takes two months after grading is finished to issue the results. I just received a letter from the board stating that candidates have the option to apply for the new SE exams before February 18th. If they happen to pass the SE III exam, then the board will issue them a refund.
May be this letter was sent for people who clearly failed the test!! :)

By the way, I almost had a heart attack when I received the letter. My coworkers were joking today that if the letter feels light that means you passed! The letter I received today was light!

I think we all should relax and wait until february....
ditto!

i prepared myself for january 21 :) i still think they will send the scores earlier than february 18. they probably just did not want to people bother them.

WaEngineer: Have you talked with your coworker about his feeling during his grading?

WaEngineer: Have you talked with your coworker about his feeling during his grading?
We are all in trouble, if this guy represents the type of engineers who grade the test. I don't talk much to him because it is such an unpleasant experience. He is a very sad case. Let me just say that he treats everyone as if he is God's gift to engineering!

Given that grading the test is volunteer work, I think he probably does represent the type of engineers who grade the test LOL :smileyballs:

We are all in trouble, if this guy represents the type of engineers who grade the test. I don't talk much to him because it is such an unpleasant experience. He is a very sad case. Let me just say that he treats everyone as if he is God's gift to engineering!

Given that grading the test is volunteer work, I think he probably does represent the type of engineers who grade the test LOL :smileyballs:
either we both are from the same company or he actually represents the type! of engineers you described :)

we have a guy who involved with the exam prep and grading before. he is exactly what you described. he really thinks you should get zero credit if you use just one older code reference in your answer. he is also very critical of engineers introducing themselves as structural engineers even during xmas parties.

by the way, i still think jan 21 or the following week may be it!!!

either we both are from the same company or he actually represents the type! of engineers you described :)

we have a guy who involved with the exam prep and grading before. he is exactly what you described. he really thinks you should get zero credit if you use just one older code reference in your answer. he is also very critical of engineers introducing themselves as structural engineers even during xmas parties.

by the way, i still think jan 21 or the following week may be it!!!
Ichiro, trust me, every office has a guy like that!

Boys and girls, I'm afraid I have some bad news. Check the DOL website and you will find that the next board meeting is scheduled for 2/2/2011. I think this is the meeting they decide on the passing score for the SE III exam. My January 21st prediction is looking like wishful thinking at this point! It is a shame that +150 people have to painfuly wait 2 months after scoring is done because a handful of engineers can't meet earlier. Sad!!

Now, let us do something else during this boring waiting. I am studying slab on grade design now.

January 21st is almost here people! May be my prediction will come true. I was looking through meeting minutes from the past 5 years. It looks like they sometimes decided on the cut score without physically meeting! The score can be approved with a simple conference call. It also looks like the passing score is usually around 22.5. I think I will be close, but I won't make it :sharkattack:

Last edited by a moderator:
January 21st is almost here people! May be my prediction will come true. I was looking through meeting minutes from the past 5 years. It looks like they sometimes decided on the cut score without physically meeting! The score can be approved with a simple conference call. It also looks like the passing score is usually around 22.5. I think I will be close, but I won't make it :sharkattack:
WaEngineer,

I also heard from an officemate they decided on the passing score over the phone. I think you know something about 21st of the January :) Hope your prediction of the date comes true.

I think last year's cut score was 20. I hope it is not much higher than 20 this year. I know it is not realistic, but I hope we all pass this monster.

Good luck,

i

WaEngineer,

I also heard from an officemate they decided on the passing score over the phone. I think you know something about 21st of the January :) Hope your prediction of the date comes true.

I think last year's cut score was 20. I hope it is not much higher than 20 this year. I know it is not realistic, but I hope we all pass this monster.

Good luck,

i
Well, tomorrow is 1/21/2011. It would be scary to open your mailbox and find that my prediction is correct ;)

If the passing score is 20, I think I have a chance! I guess we will know tomorrow. It will either be this :multiplespotting: or this :smileyballs: !

Please post you results once you got the mail, and hope everybody will pass it. Actually, I think I have done very well in the exam.

The board had a mmeting on feb. 1 and 2, so I guess we have to wait another two weeks at least.

Back