WA SE III Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It turns out my neighbour had my letter all a long! As I expected my score wouldn't be more than 22, I scored 21.5. I wish they would pick a cut score upfront so that we know what we are shooting for. In my case, I was shooting to score around 20, so when I got stuck on something, I left it and moved on to the next part. This was obviously the wrong strategy. One needs to try to score on all parts. I still think it is unfair to have the cut score as a moving target so that no more than 25% pass at a time.
Congratulations to those who passed!! You should be very proud!! Better luck for those of us who didn't make it.
WaEngineer,

I am sorry to hear of your bad news. I don't expect my luck to change with the re-grading but will wait for the letter next week anyway.
PIYA, I'm rooting for you! I really hope you will hear good news soon! Keep us updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
It turns out my neighbour had my letter all a long! As I expected my score wouldn't be more than 22, I scored 21.5. I wish they would pick a cut score upfront so that we know what we are shooting for. In my case, I was shooting to score around 20, so when I got stuck on something, I left it and moved on to the next part. This was obviously the wrong strategy. One needs to try to score on all parts. I still think it is unfair to have the cut score as a moving target so that no more than 25% pass at a time.
Congratulations to those who passed!! You should be very proud!! Better luck for those of us who didn't make it.
Forget anything bothering you, I wish you a good luck in the coming October.

So, I didn't pass (again). I never thought of myself as a repeat loser. Oh well. I now have to either prove that I have "added additional experience" to prove I am capable of taking the exam (SE III) or suck it up and go for the 2-day in October. I studied (a little) for the 2nd time, but honestly not enough to be confident. I thought I did well nonetheless.

I am now contemplating waiting a year or so to take the 2-day so I can go one, single time and knock it out of the park instead of wasting hundreds of dollars wondering whether I did just enough. If there is any positive in this it is that Oregon will allow me to take the SE 2-day at no request for additional experience because it is a new exam (I asked the board directly).

I studied for the Civil PE for one year and the test was easy (did I overstudy?). I took the SE 2 without studying and passed somehow. Now, I'm just worried that I'm losing confidence and stuck in a rut.

Thanks to anyone that has advise.

Sorry to hear the bad news WaEngineer & McEngr.

I hope that you two give taking the 16 hour SE exam a serious thought. You might doubt yourselves now, but you can really do it!

So, I didn't pass (again). I never thought of myself as a repeat loser. Oh well. I now have to either prove that I have "added additional experience" to prove I am capable of taking the exam (SE III) or suck it up and go for the 2-day in October. I studied (a little) for the 2nd time, but honestly not enough to be confident. I thought I did well nonetheless.
I am now contemplating waiting a year or so to take the 2-day so I can go one, single time and knock it out of the park instead of wasting hundreds of dollars wondering whether I did just enough. If there is any positive in this it is that Oregon will allow me to take the SE 2-day at no request for additional experience because it is a new exam (I asked the board directly).

I studied for the Civil PE for one year and the test was easy (did I overstudy?). I took the SE 2 without studying and passed somehow. Now, I'm just worried that I'm losing confidence and stuck in a rut.

Thanks to anyone that has advise.

I would take the new test in October or next April. You won't have to "re-qualify" for the Oregon board, and hopefully the grading will be conducted to a uniform, national standard, and perhaps you could even review your test and appeal its grading if you don't pass.

Sorry to hear the bad news WaEngineer & McEngr.
I hope that you two give taking the 16 hour SE exam a serious thought. You might doubt yourselves now, but you can really do it!
Thanks Kevo! I'm actually not doubting myself one bit. I just don't agree with the game the board plays with the cut score to limit the percentage of people passing. It must satisfy their ego to have a passing rate of 20-30%.

I really think the right thing to do is to set the cut score before grading takes place. Someone should be able to decide a cut score based on the difficulty of the questions and not based on the level of examinees. Let's have years where 90% of examinees pass and years where only 5% pass. To me, that would be more fair.

There is always a next time :)

Back