Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ They will have to have one of those SIT DOWN Ms. PACMAN machines that could always be found in your finest PIZZA HUT's

^^ They will have to have one of those SIT DOWN Ms. PACMAN machines that could always be found in your finest PIZZA HUT's
My favorite pizza establishment as a kid was there when I was 5 and moved to town and went out when I was 8 or so. The building is still there and has been a revolving door of restaurants ever since. Even though it's on the main drag of a reasonably affluent town, and never gouemet cuisine, the series of pizzerias, Mexican restaurants, sports bars, sit-down Italian restaurants, etc. Nothing has ever lasted for more than a couple years there at a time. I never got that one.

They had a Mr. Do! machine there which did, and would still, kick ass. I'd save my quarters and beg to go with my dad to pick up the pizza so I could play.

Ooooohhhhh.... that's one of my favorite memories. We had a Pizza Hut right next door to the junior high I went to. It had sit-down "regular" pac man (Mr. Pac Man?), and I think also sit-down Galaga, and my favorite, the old Atari vector graphics Star Wars. I remember being so impressed with that, and the similar Tank game (Battlezone??), because they were "3-D".

Those neighborhood Pizza Huts were just awesome. I saw several across the west and south, and they ALL were the same. Dr. Pepper, filled by yourself from the fountain (years before fast food restaurants let you do this), in those textured, heavy, transparent red cups.

I'd love to go back in time for just a day to see all of that stuff again (but as an adult and not a nerdy kid, although that might not be so bad...)

We had the Pizza Huts with arcade games, but my favorite pizza was Godfathers. The only one we had in town closed down a LONG time ago, but I have seen them elsewhere in my travels. I'm not sure if it is the same pizza, and I can't even remember what it tasted like, but I sure did like it as a kid.

We had the Pizza Huts with arcade games, but my favorite pizza was Godfathers. The only one we had in town closed down a LONG time ago, but I have seen them elsewhere in my travels. I'm not sure if it is the same pizza, and I can't even remember what it tasted like, but I sure did like it as a kid.
We still have Godfathers in Kansas City. Good stuff.

The sit down table based Pacman was the best thing ever at those pizza places!!

Some would argue that it was better than the pizza.....

SapperPE said:
I have similar fond memories of childhood pizza joints, but not Pizza Hut, ever. One of them was a place called Pizza and Pipes, it was a pizza joint with an old organ in the middle and the guy played the organ while you ate pizza and they played old black and white movies. The organ music went along with the black and white movies. They also had the absolutely most fantastic arcade room of any pizza place in the area. It had all the great games of the mid 80's.
Holy crap!!! We had one of those places in Denver. It was called "The Organ Grinder", IIRC. I am pretty sure the last time I went there was in the - wait for it - 1970s. I am almost certain it isn't around anymore. But thanks for reminding me - that place was awesome.

One of my roommates in college was a Godfathers Pizza delivery guy, and we had a LOT of Godfather's pizza that year. This was in the late 80s and he used to get tipped in cocaine by certain customers, but he always refused (or so he said).

Joe's Pizza in Williamsport, PA still has a sit-down Ms. Pacman game.

I don't think this was listed, but it's something I think about all the time, and quite frankly...it's sad.

Kids born in 2011 won't know getting on your bike in the morning, disappearing through the woods, and not coming back home until dark. When I was a kid that's exactly how life was. We had a series of trails all through the woods behind my house that led to several other friends houses, and we stayed out there. I bet I wore out, or outgrew 10 bicycles in my childhood, and now...my G/F's kids don't even own one. It's a tough thing to even get them out of the house, much less ALL day....I wish we could go back to that. The biggest problem I see is either crime, drugs, or physho's that prey on kids.

I hear ya man. When I was 10 (living in Illinois), I was nowhere to be found around the house. I was off in the woods, with my bike stashed in a ditch somewhere and my Daisy strapped to my back.

I look back (on Google Maps) to where I used to go off to the woods, it's been cleared and is now tract housing. :( I spent a lot of time in those woods. Winter time was the best - the swampy area would freeze over and it'd all become a huge sheet of ice. Imagine a half dozen 9-12 year olds with woods full of icy patches. Good times, good times...

Would I let my kids do that? Maybe, maybe not. But here in Texas, we have too much barbed wire and "private property" around us.

And in '85 that Walkman was the BIG THING.
It's funny. We are almost to the future that Back to the Future II was based on

was it 2015 they went to in the 2nd movie?
Yea 2015. I watched it a few days ago, we're actually not too far off on a lot of things from the movie. They have 3d TVs, books that are now vintage, a few other things. No flying cars or Mr. Fusions yet though, but that'll be coming soon.

Didn't they have "Florida wins world series!!!" shown on a billboard in one of the movies, which were filmed before they actually had a team in Florida, and the year was the actual year the Marlins won the series?

Back