Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. True.

Now, I don't condone kids fighting, and all that. And I teach my kids to not hit, kick, pinch, etc. to other kids. BUT, I will have to go with the same rule, that if they are not starting it, and only finishing it, then I'm not gonna kill them over it.

I'm convinced the only thing a bully understands is their own language.

I'm convinced the only thing a bully understands is their own language.
This has been a true statement for the entire history of man. I don't think any actions by the "enlightened" among us are going to change it.

Kids will miss the experience of learning the life lessons taught on Oregon Trail on the real floppy disks. Things like never leave in March, take a rest every once in a while, and write something witty on the tombstones of your dead for those that come after you.

Kids will miss the experience of learning the life lessons taught on Oregon Trail on the real floppy disks. Things like never leave in March, take a rest every once in a while, and write something witty on the tombstones of your dead for those that come after you.
Floppy disks are already a distant memory. I went to dinner last night with some friends of mixed ages, the youngest being 21, oldest being about 34 and one of the younger ones was trying to take a picture, but the camera said her memory card was locked and she didnt know how to unlock it. I unlocked it by just flipping the little plastic switch on the side of the SD card and said something along the lines of "these locks are just like the ones on the old 3.5inch floppy disks" and everyone except the 34 year old looked at me like I had grown a second head. They remember the disks, but not the little lock thing. Same thing for the big floppies and the VHS tapes, only you had to put tape over the little slot for those.

I don't think I would know what dysentery was if I hadn't died from it so many times in that game...

That game ruled in elementary school. When we had a one computer lab in the school that was shared and we got to go once a week for an hour.

You've totally just given me a great idea. I'm very likely moving to OR sometime in the next 6-8 months. Retracing the trail, interstate style at least, would make for a hell of a road trip.

That game ruled in elementary school. When we had a one computer lab in the school that was shared and we got to go once a week for an hour.
You've totally just given me a great idea. I'm very likely moving to OR sometime in the next 6-8 months. Retracing the trail, interstate style at least, would make for a hell of a road trip.
Caulking your wagon and floating it across is far more exciting than driving across a bridge...but you risk losing more oxen that way.

Same thing for the big floppies and the VHS tapes, only you had to put tape over the little slot for those.
or stuff with toliet paper/tissue
What floppies are you stuffing with tissue paper??

I can't see that working well on a 5 1/4in. floopy disc. It was a slot at the edge that need to be covered, and it was only covered when you wanted to protect it. I can't see tissue as a good solution for that one.

It might work with a VHS tape (only needed if someone broke of the tab to start with) but personally I'd be a little nervous about putting any free tissue paper inside the VHS machine. I know it's on the back side etc., but I still wouldn't do it.

Caulking your wagon and floating it across is far more exciting than driving across a bridge...but you risk losing more oxen that way.
I always just paid off the Indian to help me across the Snake River.

20 years later I appreciated the damned thing after jumping in it after day long hikes in the heat.

My wife brought home a copy that was used where she taught. We both had a ball playing it.

Jeez...that was probably ten years ago.

That game was absolutely brilliant for its time. No graphics to speak of but the game was very entertaining. They should re-release that for the Wii, I'd be in line for that one.

That game was absolutely brilliant for its time. No graphics to speak of but the game was very entertaining. They should re-release that for the Wii, I'd be in line for that one.
I actually had it as a game on the last phone I had. I haven't looked for it for the new phone. I need to do that.

I don't think I ever did finish that game. It got to the point that you knew you weren't going to have time to complete it so we just tried to kill the entire team as close to the end of class as possible. You could usually drown one fording a river, typhoid fever, a broken leg, and dyptheria would get the others.

Same thing for the big floppies and the VHS tapes, only you had to put tape over the little slot for those.
or stuff with toliet paper/tissue
What floppies are you stuffing with tissue paper??

I can't see that working well on a 5 1/4in. floopy disc. It was a slot at the edge that need to be covered, and it was only covered when you wanted to protect it. I can't see tissue as a good solution for that one.

It might work with a VHS tape (only needed if someone broke of the tab to start with) but personally I'd be a little nervous about putting any free tissue paper inside the VHS machine. I know it's on the back side etc., but I still wouldn't do it.
the tissue stuffing was for the vhs tapes. they aren't free..if the tab is gone you stuff the hole really tight and it wouldn't budge...took quite a bit to get it out once you recorded what you wanted

Back