Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I think we had a near-miss on that one a couple of years ago when the Cardinals made it to the big game.

What about DOS? It sure seems to be going to the way side these days. Unix / Linux will most likely continue, but the ol' 2MB hard drives in the PC-XT's will be a long forgot past time. Or even Lotus 123 (Does that even still exist?)

I still have an atari with about 20 games, somewhere in storage. Finally got rid of the last PC-XT and AT parts that were in the bin here a few months back.

I also know of an office that still utilizes the BIG floppy disks (larger than 5-1/2"!). They do all of their weekly backups on it. Main computers there are still monochrome monitors and AT motherboards. My first laptop had more computing power & memory than their entire system! Scary part is that they are still utilizing this technology. It is very funny to watch new employees try to learn the system as everything is DOS based!

What about DOS? It sure seems to be going to the way side these days. Unix / Linux will most likely continue, but the ol' 2MB hard drives in the PC-XT's will be a long forgot past time. Or even Lotus 123 (Does that even still exist?)
I still have an atari with about 20 games, somewhere in storage. Finally got rid of the last PC-XT and AT parts that were in the bin here a few months back.

I also know of an office that still utilizes the BIG floppy disks (larger than 5-1/2"!). They do all of their weekly backups on it. Main computers there are still monochrome monitors and AT motherboards. My first laptop had more computing power & memory than their entire system! Scary part is that they are still utilizing this technology. It is very funny to watch new employees try to learn the system as everything is DOS based!
what kind of office is it?

I still have a Toshiba T5200 "portable" computer. 386/20 machine with 8Mb ram. It uses DOS5.0 as an OS.

I've used them but never heard them called Hollerith cards. It was always "punch cards"

Speaking of which kids today will never experience an actual punch time clock/card system for work.

Last edited by a moderator:

what kind of office is it?

I still have a Toshiba T5200 "portable" computer. 386/20 machine with 8Mb ram. It uses DOS5.0 as an OS.

It's a clothing store / plant. They manufacturer and sell clothing; front sales & rear manufacturing plant. Looks kinda like the sweat shops in the movies!

I see nothing wrong with the older stuff. Recently I used a dos boot disk to get rid of files that WIN7 couldn't seem to delete.

I was talking to the old lady and the kids about this over the weekend..... kids these days have no idea what a real cartoon is.

Back when I was a young'en we had shows like Voltron, GI Joe, Thundercats, Transformers, X-Men, Spiderman... shows with fighting, destruction and awesomeness!!! Shoot, even Captain Planet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the freakin Gummy Bears had some action. Before that there was Johnny Qwest, He-Man, Birdman, Space Ghost.

What do kids these days have as rolemodels? Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer.

We're raising a generation of wussies. :f_115m_e45d7af:

I was talking to the old lady and the kids about this over the weekend..... kids these days have no idea what a real cartoon is.
Back when I was a young'en we had shows like Voltron, GI Joe, Thundercats, Transformers, X-Men, Spiderman... shows with fighting, destruction and awesomeness!!! Shoot, even Captain Planet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the freakin Gummy Bears had some action. Before that there was Johnny Qwest, He-Man, Birdman, Space Ghost.

What do kids these days have as rolemodels? Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer.

We're raising a generation of wussies. :f_115m_e45d7af:
Speaking of a generation of wussies - I saw another story on the Today show this morning about bullies. Back when I was growing up, my parents said to stand up for myself against bullies. They said never start a fight, but be **** sure to finish one. Nowadays, these kids are killing themselves because they get picked on. A bunch of kids at this one high school are even facing felony charges for it. I'm not condoning their behavior, but to put kids on trial for bullying? Who hasn't either made fun of someone in their lives or been made fun of in return? It's time for people to take some suckitup.

I had a kid a couple grades above me that used to pick on me incessantly on the bus. One day walking through the halls at school, I cold cocked him as I passed by after a particularly nasty ride into school. Got in school lunch suspension for a week. My parents didn't give a ****. And this assclown never bothered me again.

I was very small as a Freshman in H.S. and as a Freshman, went to the H.S., not a Jr. High thing. I was about 5'8" and 145 lbs my freshman year. Easy target.

So one day, I'm in the lunch room, and a jackass that was a Senior (the type that would never have the balls to pick on anyone other than a freshman) came to our table, and told me "Move over Freshman, I want that seat". I told him the seat was taken, and to go bother someone else.

He turned and left.

Then, he got so much 'razzing' from his buddies that day about a freshman telling him how it is... that he started telling everyone is school that as soon as he saw me, he was going to pumble me.

The next morning, I saw him in the hallway, he came running full speed, jumped in the air with some Bruce Lee imitation **** (hilarious as hell) and tried to kick me in the face, I dodged it, threw him on the floor, and was on him laying shot after shot. Was beating him pretty good, when a teacher (my football coach) came to break it up. Then the jackass grabbed me in a hug and bit me on the freaking trap and broke the skin and all. (Who does that?)

So I got kicked out of school for 5 days.

While I was out, it was going around school that a freshman took care of a senior, blah blah blah. So I get back to school for a whole two days, when another jackass that was a senior gets on my bus, goes to where I sat everyday, and says "Yeah, I'm in your seat freshman, what are you going to do about it?" I responded, if you are just starting ****, then stand up. He did. I put him down in the aisle on the bus, and laid a few good shots before the bus driver dragged me off the bus.

So I got kicked out of school for 10 days. Second offense.

Then, I came back to school, and guess what.... No one ever said a word to me for the next four years. It's amazing how that worked. The bullies figured they wouldn't bother picking on someone who was gonna smack them in the mouth. I'm sure the vast majority of seniors that year could've handed me my ass. But the ones that like to pick on the little guys didn't bother, since they only liked the ones that accept the bullying.

I didn't get into those fights for that reason, but it was the end result. I was never bothered again. The bullies knew, I may not whip them, but they weren't gonna get a free pass.

In today's world, I'd be taught to schedule a meeting with my peers and the bully so that we could discuss our differences. And take a skip together to chug on over to mamby-pamby land.

^You forgot the fact that you'd also be medicated heavily today. And made to see some shrink who'd deduce you weren't properly potty trained or hugged enough as a child, which is causing anger issues in school now.

Back