Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're sick you should not be out at stores.
But then I'd never be allowed out. You yourself have called me a sick puppy on many occasions.

The video store is across the street from the pharmacy. I go get whatever medicine fits the bill and rent something light and funny to watch while I fester away on the couch.

Kids today will likely have never seen a B&W TV, a Sony Watchman portable TV or Discman CD player. Gameboy. tape based analog phone answering machine, rotary dial phone....
Still own the discman CD player and orginal gameboy. I use the gameboy regularly to play tetris. Minisnick loves playing with it too. If he hears the tetris music he come crawling from where ever he was and just about rips the thing out of my hands.

Kids today will likely have never seen a B&W TV, a Sony Watchman portable TV or Discman CD player. Gameboy. tape based analog phone answering machine, rotary dial phone....
Still own the discman CD player and orginal gameboy.
I use my discman still pretty regularly. I have it connected to my computer speakers. It's handy if I want to listen to music but don't want to bother with booting up the computer.

I've still got an Atari 2600... last check it still worked... can't say the same for the 8bit Nintendo, orange screen of death at the last check...

I gots me one of them Walkmans to. And the Atari! That's also in my closet at home! Retro treasure hunt weekend coming up (Diablo, Tie Fighter, Atari)!

I won an Odysee (sp?) game system in 2001 and it went straight into the closet.

I have no idea if it still works or not, but I still have Pong. It's the color version with four controllers so you could play doubles tennis etc. It was the game to have until the Atari came out.

My friends are knocking down my door, trying to get to my 64!!!!

Commodore 64, that is....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea if it still works or not, but I still have Pong. It's the color version with four controllers so you could play doubles tennis etc. It was the game to have until the Atari came out.
I had a Pong game. I don't believe it was color, but then again we only played it on a B&W tv.

Still own the discman CD player and orginal gameboy. I use the gameboy regularly to play tetris. Minisnick loves playing with it too. If he hears the tetris music he come crawling from where ever he was and just about rips the thing out of my hands.
Ummm, you sure he isn't one of those Russian spies?

That could explain the gibberish he speaks into his baby cellphone...

That could explain the gibberish he speaks into his baby cellphone...
which would be especially ironic since his grandparents (my ILs) that gave him the phone still act like the Cold War is ongoing.

My VIC-20 failed to come on when I tried to power it up recently. :( I had to hack a new power supply together, the old one didn't work, and unfortunately it was potted, so I just threw it out and cut the end off and wired up from my bench supply.

I haven't tested to see if my old Walkman WM-10 works (the one that's the size of a cassette tape case). I remember paying like $90 for it back in 1984 or so. Lots of childsitting money went in to that thing (yeah, I watched one kid for $$...).

I don't know if my Discman works either. I still have it though.

Even have my big Mitsubishi Jambox. I also have my Grandfather's old Sony portable Tape/Radio/TV. It's a 3" B&W TV with a tape and radio unit. Looks like a piece of test equipment. That still works.

My kids look at all my old junk and laugh...

Is he talking to any hot spies? Anna Chapman maybe? If so, could you set up a meeting between mini snick and myself? We have a few phone numbers to discuss...

Back