Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My inlaws won't even buy stuff off the internet due to identity theft.
Mine wont either, and they live in the outer chicago burbs. Sometimes i think that is more age related than location related.

I moved from Louisville to south western Kentucky
I get in line behind people at Walmart all the time writing checks (why isn't checks on the list) talk about how they write checks because people will steal their identity if they use those pesky debit cards. My inlaws won't even buy stuff off the internet due to identity theft.
They really think a piece of paper with all the necessary info to pull money out of their account is more secure than a debit or credit card?
Yep, my ILs do. But they do use a credit card from time to time, but just at physical stores.

^I would think the opposite since the client base is so much smaller.
Most in rural towns are scared of computers/technology
They'll eventually catch up to where we are now. Much like the fax machine is SLOWLY dying in those areas, travel agents will too.
Yeah, my parents out in the sticks have sat internet connection. They love it. There is a certain mindset that won't mess with those dadblamed computers, but they are dying out, or wising up to the benefits.

I get in line behind people at Walmart all the time writing checks (why isn't checks on the list) talk about how they write checks because people will steal their identity if they use those pesky debit cards. My inlaws won't even buy stuff off the internet due to identity theft.
Yeah checks is another good one.

What's worse is that it's generally some little old lady who never begins filling it out while her order is being rung up, meticulously writes out the check in perfect granny cursive, balances the book, then hands the check to the cashier. Naturally you are behind her with like 2 items.

What's worse is that it's generally some little old lady who never begins filling it out while her order is being rung up, meticulously writes out the check in perfect granny cursive, balances the book, then hands the check to the cashier. Naturally you are behind her with like 2 items.
If you only have two items, why aren't you using the self checkout?

He's a boomer and doesn't grasp the new fangled technology.

Not all places have that option.

Self-Checkout
that will put CASHIERS on next years list
I think it's more likely that RFID tags will lead to the demise of cashiers, though in a way that's just a more efficient means of self-checkout.

Grammer will be out the door to.
Did you misspell grammar for comedic effect, or has it already left the building.
He also ended his sentence with a preposition.

He's a boomer and doesn't grasp the new fangled technology.
:appl: Post of the day!

How about pleasant airline travel?

Back when I flew a lot (in '96-'99, out of Atlanta), I could zip through security, dash to the gate, climb aboard a plane, and pretty much pick my own seat. Flights with a dozen passengers on a 727 class airplane weren't uncommon. Utterly relaxing compared to today's grope through security with your shoes off, packed in like sardines, lucky to get overhead space or be charged $50 per bag, etc...

And heaven forbid if you try to bring that 32oz Coke through security...

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Checkout
that will put CASHIERS on next years list
That's why I try not to use it. I hate having to do someone else's job for free.
You should demand fatty money (pro-rated, of course) in exchange for using the self-checkouts. Though if you believe that savings to companies are passed on as savings to their customers, you should use the self-checkout more so as to save yourself more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Travel agents will disappear. I see it already locally here.
My folks used them when I was a kid sometimes, but I've never used one since I've been planning my own trips.

It's so easy to book a flight or car on Orbitz and Hotels.com is good for lodging. Plus it's really easy to research your destination and line up activities.
My in-laws have a travel agent in Peru that they use for about all of their travel. She has help Mrs. ble and I out when we have went down there, but I don't know any travel agents here in the states. I've always been my own travel agent.

Travel agents in South America also handle the paying of bribes etc to the correct corrupt official so they're worth their salt.

Grammer will be out the door to.
Did you misspell grammar for comedic effect, or has it already left the building.
He also ended his sentence with a preposition.
Man, y'all caught most of the errors. Not only did I end in a preposition, but it should have been "too". Also, there should be a comma before "too".

As far as airline travel in the past, sssshhhhhheeeeeeiiiiiittt, I can remember getting on flights and having my parents and friends waving goodbye to me AT THE TERMINAL!!!

As far as airline travel in the past, sssshhhhhheeeeeeiiiiiittt, I can remember getting on flights and having my parents and friends waving goodbye to me AT THE TERMINAL!!!
Around May of 2001, our refurbished airport terminal opened to much fanfare. My wife said we ought to go check it out, and it was a nice spring day, so we did.

1) We parked for free (first hour)

2) Went to the gate without tickets

3) Lounged around outside the terminal on some nice white rocking chairs

Now all three of those things are gone or not allowed.

Back