Things kids born in 2011 won't know

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always remember meeting my dad at the gate when he came back from business travel, and my grandmother a couple times too.

Now I feel like I'm one step away from being arrested hanging around the magazine shop outside security waiting for the person to arrive.

Not to mention pillows, blankets, meals, free checked bags, half empty flights. The bag fee in and of itself isn't the end of the world, I don't like it, but you know up front what the costs to check a bag is and it's part of the overall. But what pisses me off are the people that bring these enormous suitcases onto the plane and try to wedge them in the overhead bin, usually running over my foot and hitting me in the head at some point along the way. I remember when carry ons were a backpack or a briefcase, not your entire wardrobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hear you on the carryon issue...there is no way 70% of those bags fit in that luggage fit guide that that airlines have at check in. They really need to enforce that and the weight of carry ons. When we went to new zealand our carry ons regardless of size were put on the scale...my BIL had to take things out of his carry one because it was too heavy.

SapperPE said:
Personally, I hate checking bags, free or not. I tend to travel with one of those luggage bags that is designed for carry on travel, you know the ones, that are shaped perfectly to fit in the overhead bin. I've been able to do a week long trip to CT with one of those and didn't feel underpacked at all. My wife on the other hand had not only a carry on, but also a duffel bag that we had to check. Granted, she had my son's clothes in her bag as well, so I can't give her too much grief.
I still check my bags for a number of reasons...

1. I don't feel like shlepping all of my shit through the airport or security.

2. I usually have a computer and/or camera bag in addition to my main bag, so that would be too much to keep track of.

3. I hate fighting for overhead bin space. If my computer bag won't fit up there, I go fucking ballistic.

4. I don't want to have to reduce all of my toiletries down to 3 oz. or less and put them in a plastic baggie because the TSA doesn't understand simple chemistry.*

* I defy you to name two liquids that could be mixed together while on an airplane to produce a reaction that would be any more than an annoyance to those around you.

SapperPE said:
Public Pay Phones.
Especially those operated on quarters. After deregulation, the cost of payphones has been skyrocketing. I think they now have some that accept credit cards.

When I used to fly (Mid 95 was probably the last time) I carried everything in a duffel that fit in the overhead bin. Like Sap, i could fit a weeks worth of clothes, easy.

My parents avoid the hassle by buying whatever they need when they get where they are going. The just leave behind what they aren't wearing on the return flight for the maids to have. They claim you can get cheap enough clothes wherevr you go that it is actually cheaper than all the charges and the hassle (which they really hate).

You know, I really have been shocked by how fast Netflix ran the Mom and Pop video stores out of business. i think Hollywood Videos went bankrupt, too. I wonder how long before Blockbuster goes under.

You know, I really have been shocked by how fast Netflix ran the Mom and Pop video stores out of business. i think Hollywood Videos went bankrupt, too. I wonder how long before Blockbuster goes under.
I'm shocked that there are still Blockbuster stores open. I think the only way they justify it is that they are making enough money with their Netflix-style service to keep a few stores open. They then use the physical stores to tout the ability to be able to return mail-order movies to a store.

we still have Family video in town, movie gallery(a.k.a hollywood video) went out of businessin 2010. The family video sign usually says interviews for managers as the company is expanding.

Family Video is the only one left around here too. There are two of them within 5 miles of here and they both seem to be doing well.

As far as air travel, I just throw my crap in the back seat, drag the plane out of the hangar, and go flying.

I'm shocked that there are still Blockbuster stores open.
The one I used to go to only has a couple of cars parked in front of it every time I pass. Same cars. I suspect it is just the workers.

A lot of those things on the list I have forgotten about. Dialup internet, yellow/white pages, home phone, hand written letters. At the age of 31 I have used any of these things in years and years.

A mom and pop video store went under a while back, but I rent Wii games from the Blockbuster in town, and it is generally pretty busy, unless I go there when I'm out sick to rent a movie at 11:30 on a Tuesday.

I'm shocked that there are still Blockbuster stores open. I think the only way they justify it is that they are making enough money with their Netflix-style service to keep a few stores open. They then use the physical stores to tout the ability to be able to return mail-order movies to a store.
I never liked Blockbuster, b/c a new release rental, after taxes, always ran about $5. No thanks

I remember when video stores used to be one night rentals for a couple dollars. The last time I rented something at Blockbuster it was almost 10 bucks for one item, but I can keep it until sometime in 2013.

When I was younger, I would always rent my NES games from a mom and pop video store called Video Visions. Fantastic place with seeminly all the hot new games. I can still remember how it was laid out. Coming home from swim practice on Friday afternoon, my mom would let me rent a game (more often than not on my dime) and it would be due back at VV on Sunday by 7:00 PM. The cost? $2.74.

There were no alarms that necessitated the employee to put the rental on the other side of the counter. On the shelf, you get the game (in an orange container) from behind the original NES game box and bring it to the counter. They'd get your name, print out a little contract that you acknowledge the return date/time, you'd sign it, and off you'd go. I really, really miss how simple things used to be compared to today... and I'm only 31.

I never liked Blockbuster, b/c a new release rental, after taxes, always ran about $5. No thanks
I worked at a Blockbuster while I was in high school. I always thought it was amusing how much people were charged for lost or damaged videos. Since the video stores had VHS copies of the movie before they were officially released for public sale, they would charge upwards of $100 if a customer "lost" a copy.

I really, really miss how simple things used to be compared to today... and I'm only 31.
I'll be 31 in a couple weeks, and I totally agree.

There were a couple shops by me. You'd just bring the empty game box up to the counter (if it was out there the item was in stock), they'd get the game in a hard case off the shelf for you. Your account was just your address and telephone number.

Now at Blockbuster there are 17 security cameras, the take your game on the other side of the security gate thing, the fact that I had to authorize my wife to rent on the account I set up, and needing to show a photo ID anytime I rent something.

You don't need prior authorization to or an ID to pick up someone else's prescription that you could abuse, yet you do to rent Madden? WTF is wrong with this picture.

Grammer will be out the door to.
I think the biggest loss to today's babies is Nintendo thumb. No such thing anymore.
thats why we used a stick of deorderant to increase the button pressing speed.
Huh? You'll have to explain that one to me.
for NES games that required super fast hitting of the B or A button, like any of the track and field games, we would grab a stick of deodorant fromt he bathroom and use the side of container to pass over the button super fast. they were rather narrow on one side and easy to grip. You always got faster speed because it was like a two for one movement and you didn't mess up your thumb.

A mom and pop video store went under a while back, but I rent Wii games from the Blockbuster in town, and it is generally pretty busy, unless I go there when I'm out sick to rent a movie at 11:30 on a Tuesday.
If you're sick you should not be out at stores.

Kids today will likely have never seen a B&W TV, a Sony Watchman portable TV or Discman CD player. Gameboy. tape based analog phone answering machine, rotary dial phone....

And my wife scoffs at my remarks that, if time machines and miracles like this were available, I would love to go back to grade school in the 1980's one more time.

Back