The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A human centipede is forever.

Seed in general is very dependent on storage conditions. I've heard the way to check is to do the kindergarten seeding - take 10 seeds, put in wet paper towels in ziploc baggie, check germination after a week to determine %.

A human centipede is forever.

Seed in general is very dependent on storage conditions. I've heard the way to check is to do the kindergarten seeding - take 10 seeds, put in wet paper towels in ziploc baggie, check germination after a week to determine %.

Not a bad idea.

or just put them in the ground and see. Worst case scenari you have to buy new seed. But if it worls you are a week ahead of the game.

Here's the progress on the hired help as of last night:

img20130507171433.jpg

img20130507171447.jpg

He's halfway accross the shed, looking more like mid afternoon until he finishes. Lot's of little piles of de-rocked dirt, which I didn't have to shovel (awesome). The machine works! Might have to take the prototype to the next level and sell a working copy to the local rental store.

Planted the centipede seed in the front yard, then filled up seven huge pots for ornamental flowers and planed some more cukes and bell peppers in spaces where nothing had grown from seed.

When the hell did planter boxes get so expensive? Went shopping for two taller plastic planter boxes to put some flowers in out front until the gardenias grow bigger, and they want $60+ for what is essentially a decorative 5 gallon plastic bucket?

I know! And this was at Garden Ridge, which is like a warehouse-sized cheaper version of Home Goods, i.e. - you won't get any cheaper.

Spent the better part of yesterday planting some roses and decorative grasses around the yard with Mrs Dex. She had a lot of fun until she realized afterward that she forgot to wear sunscreen. Her shoulders are purple from being burned so bad...

^That;s sucks! I've been that lobster color before...painful. hope she heals quickly.

while it it was bright and sunny yesterday around here, it was only low/mid 50s with strong wind so long sleeves, pants and hoodie were a must.

Spent the better part of yesterday planting some roses and decorative grasses around the yard with Mrs Dex. She had a lot of fun until she realized afterward that she forgot to wear sunscreen. Her shoulders are purple from being burned so bad...

My wife pointed out yesterday that the back of my neck was blood red. She put some Noxema on it and it seems to have fixed it.

We have some of that solarcaine stuff that seems to work well. It's a combo of aloe gel with a mild topical lidocane we picked up when we were out at San Diego.

Bell peppers have started to "bell". Strawberries are coming in. Beans vines are starting to produce. Carrots are well established, but I'm fattening them up before harvesting. Corn still surviving, but two days of heavy rain made half of them lean a good amount. A couple of stakes, plastic netting, and wire have straightened them out. One is beginning to show signs of the top tassel. Still a ways off before ears come in.

can't find strawbeery plants locally...by the time I order them it would likely be too late for this season already....guess I will have to try next yr

We finished planting Elephant Girl's this weekend. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, corn, cantaloupe, don't remember what else. Plus some marigolds to hopefully keep the aphids away. . . Some of the tomato plants already had some tomatoes on them, and we harvested some strawberries (planted last year).

Here at home, it was 28 degrees last night.

Got one ear of corn starting to poke its little silk head out. Three little squash have been hiding and just found them yesterday. Nice little surprise, I found onions sprouting in out compost bin. They're now in a pot on the deck. Score!

Back