The 2018 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are currently in the process of improving the soil in our 12' x 10' garden. Digging up about 6-8 inches of existing soil, laying down new weed barrier, sifting the existing soil, laying down said sifted soil, adding more "planting soil" from Costco, adding some of our compost that we have been creating over the years, going to add some manure, and then plant. We have about a third of it done. PITA, but hopefully we get better production out of the garden this year.

We are currently in the process of improving the soil in our 12' x 10' garden. Digging up about 6-8 inches of existing soil, laying down new weed barrier, sifting the existing soil, laying down said sifted soil, adding more "planting soil" from Costco, adding some of our compost that we have been creating over the years, going to add some manure, and then plant. We have about a third of it done. PITA, but hopefully we get better production out of the garden this year.
After loosening up what was there (which was some decent screened topsoil from the previous year), I added a bit of potting mix and a manure-based compost mix to the raised bed planters this year.  I'll be curious to see if it helps production at all.  I did not see a real benefit to miracle grow use last year.

Spent a couple hours roto-tilling last night, until one of the tires decided to spin on the rim and rip the valve stem off the tube.  Definitely sore today, but I'm going to try to fix the tire tonight and get back at it.

We're going to try the mulch over landscape fabric method this year.  Last year was the first year we put in the garden, and it being grass prior, it was almost impossible to keep the grass down in the garden.  We're getting 12 cubic yards of mulch delivered today, which should be enough for the vegetable garden as well as topping off some of the other landscape mulch around the house.

Landscape fabric did the trick for the first two years (put over healthy grass), but we started getting weeds/grass at year three.  Still manageable though. 

I started all my seeds in mid February, so my garden is coming along. Not exactly where is should be, but I had my grow lights in the garage, so temperature control was an issue. 

So, my list includes:

Tomatoes - Sun Gold and Atkinson. Will start Celebrity and one other I cannot remember soon. 

Peppers - Green Bell, Jalepenos, Purple Bell, Lunchbox Orange, and one other

Squash, Zucchini - growing these under a low tunnel to prevent the squash vine borer from winning this year. Will hand pollinate. 

Cucumbers - Bush, Pickling and Straight 8's

Okra

Basil, Cilantro

Broccoli, Cauliflower - these haven't started producing heads yet, and with the heat now, they may not. If that's the case, we will harvest and eat the leaves. 

Basil, Cilantro
I think I'm going to end up doing some herbs in a hanging planter box.  We usually do a pot of mint for mojitos, but I'd like to do these also.  Basil is easy, but do you usually have good luck with cilantro?  It's my understanding its not especially heat tolerant.

We planted about a month ago.  A small garden patch and a bunch of pots.

SUCCESS SO FAR:

1. Tomato's - All varieties (Big Boy, Arkansas Traveler, cherry, grape)- all are already 2.5' to 3' feet tall.
  2. Pumpkin or squash - I did not plant any, but it it has started growing.  Last Halloween's Pumpkin or last years squash plant that has been revived?
  3. Cilantro in a pot - about 18 tall" and already used in Tuesday's recipe
  4. Basil
  5. Peppermint
  6. Spicy Oregano
OK BUT NOT GREAT

All peppers.  Not sure what happened, but it looks like something has been eating the leaves.  I have sprayed organic insecticide on them and that has helped a little.  We are starting to get new growth or leaves so that is a plus.

NOT GOING TO MAKE IT

1. Okra - tried for first time.
  2. Cucumber - Failure two years in a row.
  3. Eggplant - moderate success last year.  This year looks like a bust.
  4. Edamame - Looks like a bust.
Plum trees that were planted is about four or five years ago is about a 1.5 stories and have lots of small fruit on them.

I also received a letter from the HOA about my garden.  A past HOA president does not like me (I hired an attorney and prevailed with more reasonable board members before going to court) and called the Management Company on me (unsightly condition, which was never clarified.  They sent me picture of empty pots and an unplanted garden bed).  The current president can't stand the past president and is a friend of mine.  They rescinded the Management Company letter and sent me an apology. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We HAD a small garden.  The chickens had other plans.  They've eaten the flowers and leaves and converted the bed into their dirt bath area.  That's ok, I guess, because they poop out a couple eggs each day for us.

I think I'm going to end up doing some herbs in a hanging planter box.  We usually do a pot of mint for mojitos, but I'd like to do these also.  Basil is easy, but do you usually have good luck with cilantro?  It's my understanding its not especially heat tolerant.
No, it is not extremely heat tolerant, so it did not produce as well as I had hoped. Flowers too quickly in the heat. I planted in both pots and my raised bed, and the raised bed version did better than the potted version. About to pull it from the pots, and get a last cutting from the raised bed plant. 

I was just glad that I succeeded in starting them from seed (always heard it was difficult). I may do another planting in the fall when it's cooler. 

We HAD a small garden.  The chickens had other plans.  They've eaten the flowers and leaves and converted the bed into their dirt bath area.  That's ok, I guess, because they poop out a couple eggs each day for us.
A coworker's father has a garden and chickens. He has his chickens on one end of the garden while planting on the other end. Then he swaps when the growing season changes. He's had pretty good success with this. 

Garden is doing OK.  The tomato plants have taken off with all this rain - they have more than doubled in size already.  Jalapenos are on their way, and the thai chiles are already fruiting.  Habaneros and reapers have been slow growing, though the reapers are notoriously slow anyways.  They had something trying to eat their leaves, so I sprinkled some pesticide on there and am hoping for the best.  

Anyone deal with japanese beetles?  We had them devouring everything in sight last year, including a lot of the trees near the edge of our yard.

I bought some grub control to apply to the lawn, and I plan to use it in the areas I suspect have the worst amount of grubs, but it would cost a fortune to treat all of the 3.5 acres of yard.

The alleged problem with the bags is that they catch about 50% of the beetles that go to them, but attract something like 400% more beetles to the area. 

I think there are some species of plants/shrubs that are a natural deterrent.  Maybe plant some of those around the property?  Or just give a bunch of those bags to your neighbors and let the beetles f*ck up their yard.

The alleged problem with the bags is that they catch about 50% of the beetles that go to them, but attract something like 400% more beetles to the area. 

I think there are some species of plants/shrubs that are a natural deterrent.  Maybe plant some of those around the property?  Or just give a bunch of those bags to your neighbors and let the beetles f*ck up their yard.
I've heard the same about the traps.  I bought one and am going to try it, but put it about 100 yards from the garden.

There are some plants that supposedly deter them and we're going to plant some of those around the garden.  Things like onions and marigolds.

Oregano totally dead - rotted out after heavy rain.  Mint is 50/50.

One of the two tomato plants is finally fruiting, the other still stagnant.  Both are over 6' tall now and need additional support.

Most of the peppers are doing well.  Plenty of jalapenos, just froze my first crop of Carolina Reapers (about a dozen).  Garden Salsa peppers are HOT AS F*CK.  Made a mistake of eating one grilled.  Cowhorn is meh, just getting onesie-twosie peppers, plant never really took off.  Habanero plant just coming into its own, peppers are much bigger than last year.  Thai hots still producing a ton, just pickled a small mason jar worth of shishitos.  3 of the 12 seem to be struggling to grow, just can't figure out why.

Back