The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have whatever the home depot store brand is pressure washer and haven;t had any troubles with it. goign on 3 yrs old and going strong

bought ours at menards on sale. G-clean with a Kohler engine

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a HD and Menards within a mile of each other. I'll check out what they have. Any ideas what the price range was when you bought?

we have whatever the home depot store brand is pressure washer and haven;t had any troubles with it. goign on 3 yrs old and going strong

bought ours at menards on sale. G-clean with a Kohler engine
Thanks for the suggestions. We have a HD and Menards within a mile of each other. I'll check out what they have. Any ideas what the price range was when you bought?
I want to say it was about $275 but we got a $50 rebate and had some christmas gift cards to spend so we got it on the cheap.

For the frequency you'd use them, I'd advocate for just renting one when needed. Othersie you'll just frustrate yourself with no-start issues.

Lettuce will be picked for salads tonight, one tomato showing, and the plant leaves are curled up (what up with that?), some peppers are starting to show, some strawberries are starting to show, cuke plants are going great guns.

Lettuce will be picked for salads tonight, one tomato showing, and the plant leaves are curled up (what up with that?), some peppers are starting to show, some strawberries are starting to show, cuke plants are going great guns.

I've never figured out completely what causes the leaves to curl up, I've read everything from too much water to not enough.

I've never figured out completely what causes the leaves to curl up, I've read everything from too much water to not enough.

I read that it was because of cool wet weather, which made since when it dipped to the forties a few nights, but that was a few weeks ago.

I'm wondering if I have an incompatible crop planted too close to the maters.

Anyway, the lettuse made great salad and we used the parsley, thyme, and basil in the sald and in the spaghetti sauce, and it was flat out awesome. A lot more work than buying it from the store, though.

Picked several of our carrots and their sizes are deceiving. One of them had a top that was about 1.5-inch diameter top and was only two inches long. Another was about 1-inch in diameter and 4 inches long. They've all tasted better than store bought, regardless.

our new neighbor spent an entire day tilling a huge section of his yard to start a garden. he fenced it off and planted started plants, not seeds. It all died. I think the fact the previous neighbor was a huge fan of lawn care treatments, up until this past fall, there was residual broad leaf killer in the ground.

We picked some strawberries Monday and they were pretty darn good. Wasn't a whole lot, but it looks like a lot more are on the way. I recommend the Albions so far. A good bit smaller than what you get in the stores, but a good bit sweeter.

Elephant Girl is having trouble with something eating her strawberries. They don't eat the whole thing, just nibble on it. She is suspecting lizards, since she has a whole group of them living in her back yard. Do lizards eat strawberries?

Squash aren't setting...any ideas?

We have bees...

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my very first veggie garden this year. Just tomatoes and squash, but ya gotta start somewhere. I've got one big normal tomato plant and one black grape tomato plant and I have kept them alive so far. Maybe I'll pick up some ideas for next year's garden expansions from this thread, if I succeed with my tomatoes and squash :)

Back