The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On friday Our neighbor 2 doors down had someone out with a machine to chew out the tree stumps from the half dozen or so pine trees he cut down several weeks ago. The neighbor next door saw it and had the guy do the same to their 5 or so pine stumps, then they called mr snick to tell him about the guy since he had just mentioned to him the night before the 3 of us should go in together to rent one to get of all the stumps. So we had 2 tree stumped chewed out too. So happy we don't have to do that manually now.

Those stump chewing machines are so much better than manually digging those bitches out. We used one on my last project to remove a tree stump that was literally 5' wide. It took them several hours to get that one chewed up...

Removing them with explosives was a lot more fun. Don't think I'm going to see that done again any time soon.

Those stump chewing machines are so much better than manually digging those bitches out. We used one on my last project to remove a tree stump that was literally 5' wide. It took them several hours to get that one chewed up...
The tree we cut down about a month ago was about 18 inches diameter...it took about a half hr....took the guy almost 5 minutes to get the machine back to the tree...super slow moving thing

Well, I cut down the corn, that looked beautiful but produced only two ears that looked like they had been left too close to the reactor.

The peppers and tomatoes started looking better and producing fruit within a week.

Note to self: do NOT listen to that liar in the SFG book and plant corn on your raised beds.

Our raised bed corn wasn't all that bad. The ears were relatively short, but what we had was great.

Our cucumber and bell pepper plants are vegetable equivalent of the Little Engine That Could. We practically leave them for dead and they make fantastic numbers of edible goodness. I've never had store-bought cucumbers that good.

I have an extreme knack of growing weeds soooo well.

I should sell seeds to saboteurs....

Have seriously considered turning my garden plot into a patio area with a firepit in the middle.

Also found out that the amish vegetables about 20 min north of where I live are 50% cheaper than grocery stores.

and I found $5.

so the neighbor dropped by yesterday with a grocery bag full of fresh veggies...anyone ever have white eggplant before? I assume thats what it is. just wondering how it compared with the dark variety and any suggestions for cooking.

For our Japanese eggplant, we usually slice them, lightly oil / salt / pepper them, and either grill or put on a pan in the oven.

Well, the unpredicted frost from two nights ago wiped out my remaining peppers, which bought a close to the dreadful gardening year of 2013.

I hope next year will be better.

I've decided to go the raised bed planter approach in front of my deck for next year. Might try to do it soon, so I can kill the grass out over the winter.

^Take my advice and don't plant corn in them.

GF is big into herbs and the oddball tomato plant. I'm hoping I can grow some hot chili peppers mostly. To make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I will probably end up dividing into two or three sections, and raise the middle one a bit. Maybe put solar lights on the box corners.

^Take my advice and don't plant corn in them.

GF is big into herbs and the oddball tomato plant. I'm hoping I can grow some hot chili peppers mostly. To make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, I will probably end up dividing into two or three sections, and raise the middle one a bit. Maybe put solar lights on the box corners.

I did hot and mild peppers. The hot peppers did well, the mild peppers were overcome by the corn and didn't start producing until I cut the corn down.

Herbs and peppers overall did well in raised beds. I did the square foot gardening thing.

Part of my problem was that this year I was overwhelmed by outside events and didn't devote any time to the yard/garden except to mow it. I sincerely hope next year will be better in that regard.

Planning on going the square foot method here as well. Figured I'd bust out some twine and just staple it to the bed sides during planting to help get everything in place.

Latest posts

Back